Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finish for M1Carbine Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdcarver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finish for M1Carbine Stocks
    Posted: Jul 19 2020 at 4:09pm
I have two M1 Carbines, wartime models, that I inherited from my grandfather.  They were modified in the 1970's to fill-in the sling slot in the stock.  This was a relatively easy repair as the filler could be removed from the stock without much harm to original wood.  My grandfather also had the stocks lacquered, a finish which I removed during the slot-filler removal.  Looking here, it appears that the original finish would have been linseed oil: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html  Is this correct?  I currently have the M1C protected with Danish Oil.  Is there any advice on the matter from the forum as to if I should continue with applying the Danish Oil or if it would be ok to apply a more permanent finish?

Kirk

Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2020 at 7:31pm
I use tung oil when cleaning up wood stocks.  I clean the really good with mineral spirits and then apple a good coating of tung oil and let it hang dry for a few days.  
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2020 at 8:42pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 12:28am
You might have already screwed the pooch with the use of commercial "Danish Oil" product.  AFAIK, it is a wiping varnish.  As are most all "tung oil finish" types found at the local store, they're wiping varnishes also.  Pure tung oil is easily found online if that is what you want. 

Advice above to avoid boiled linseed oil in favor of raw linseed oil, is spot on.  Raw, takes longer to absorb in and dry, than BLO does.  But apparently the drying agents in BLO prevent, at some arguable point, further penetration of oil into the wood.  

Sorta curious as to how your grandfather's slingwell fillings came out.  Did any existing stampings there remain after the filling removal?

Your pic showed a nice piece of wood after the stripping off grandpa's choice of finish.  I'd recommend no more use of "Danish Oil."
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Cont: on a .... gallon can, steer clear of it. Those numbers mean it's boiled oil.

Re: (PTO) Pure Tung Oil; it was an approved alternative to RLO. do not confuse this with (BTO) boiled Tung Oil or any mixed Tung Oil that is not pure, has additives or modifiers.

IMHO, stick to RLO

Post Reply Post Reply