Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding problems at times

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding problems at times
    Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 3:59pm
I know this has been asked hundreds of times, but all answers and problems are different. My newly acquired 3.1M Inland has been giving me trouble. I have narrowed it down a little and hope this helps. 
It seems to point towards the nose of the mag dropping. All my mags work fine in other carbines. When the mags are rested on the shooting bag, all works fine. When I insert the mags, all is good until it reaches the lock click and then it rocks back dropping the nose. Mag release, spring tension? Or something more serious in the receiver area? It has the type 3 mag catch and release with no M stamp.
Mags are USGI and Korean new. It makes no matter which, all work fine in my other 2 carbines. 
Input please. Thanks again to all. 
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 4:26pm
Did you try switching out the mag catch and spring with the mag catch and plunger/spring from one the other carbines? 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 6:00pm
Try Wayne’s suggestion, but feed ramps among carbines can vary. Maybe open the mag lips a tad to raise the nose.

Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 6:12pm
Not yet Wayne, but next in line I'm sure with this last discovery. Test was done today and I have not gotten back to it. I do agree that is a good place to start from here on. I was chasing other ideas to no avail. I should have done the simple mag support test first, but I didn't. My bad on that one. I had other problems with the extractor but that is gone now. Two problems, one to go. Thanks for the input. 
Input is always appreciated and welcome. Thanks again to all.     
Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 6:31pm
Thanks Floyd for input. I have gave thought to what you said. For now, I will leave the mag tweaking alone since they work just fine in other carbines. I need to look elsewhere first is my thinking. 
Thanks again to all for input. 
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 6:51pm
I think most people that handle carbines a lot have had similar issues and there can be more than one fix. I am not one that likes to alter feed ramps and would rather tweak a mag, if that’s what it takes. Along with what Wayne said…..just swap trigger groups (housing and all) and see where it takes you. It should isolate the problem to a housing/internals or receiver. 

I had a similar issue and measured the opening in my mags. Some were about .480 and some closer to .490. I discovered the .490 fed very well, so I opened the lips on all my others to +-.490. Solved the issue in that particular carbine and still worked in the others. 

I’d just swap a trigger group first though.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 6:52pm
Probably a worn mag catch. It isn't uncommon.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 8:08pm
Thanks to you both, Floyd and Smokpole. I like the idea of the complete trigger housing swap. It does or could give the instant direction for the answer. If so, the problem child will still need to be located in the long run. Without taking pics etc. The mag release in comparison with others does seem to be the problem. Since I have only the M2 mag catch on hand with no new spring and plunger. Maybe the trigger housing swap is the best route now for discovery. I have been needing to restock in the small parts area anyway. NOS stuff is hard to find anymore. Any hint's on a good link? Meanwhile during the wait. The complete trigger housing swap will produce an answer of sort hopefully. Loving the input and thanks again to all.    
Lightning 330
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

NOS stuff is hard to find anymore. Any hint's on a good link?

I have used Amherst Depot in the past for spare small parts. Northridge, linked below has NOS catches with the plunger.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2023 at 10:59pm
What kind of ammo are you using, FMJ, Reloads, semi jacketed soft point...etc.? operating spring possibly weak?
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 3:02am
 With a magazine inserted into your carbine, grab the bottom of it and see if there is fore and aft play in it.
I discovered quite by accident that one of my 1st Generation Universal M1 Carbines would feed just about any bullet I chose, including cast flat point bullets, if I pushed forward on the bottom rear of the magazine while shooting. Doing this slightly raises the angle of the cartridge thus putting the point of the bullet closer to the chamber. This may be what is happening when you shoot with the magazine resting on a shooting bag.
  My solution was to apply a small dab of JB Weld to the bottom rear of the magazine well then work it down with a needle file until magazines could be inserted easily. The JB Weld "bump" served the purpose of changing the angle of the magazine. 
  If I had the same problem with one of my original carbines though I'd probably do as others have suggested and start with another mag catch. Sarco has them for $10 M1 Carbine Mag Catch - SARCO, Inc (sarcoinc.com) And although out of stock at the moment, they also offer trigger housings for $75 with which a fella could experiment.
 Please keep us posted on your progress.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 11:30am
Thanks Wayne, I love using NOS
Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 11:59am
Thanks thirtyround and 35 Whelen for joining in. 

I shoot my reloads that have worked well for several years. 12.8 Accurate N0.9 with FMJ 110 grain RN. It has a NOS spring in it. That was one of my first attempts to fix. 

Yes indeed there is forward movement which was why I did the resting test on the sandbag. It brings the nose up. I'm sure the JB Weld would do the trick, but only as a very last resort. I'm going to install my NOS mag catch with the arm and see what happens. I don't have a new plunger right now but I should be able to at least measure and test for Some discovery purposes. I'm getting my list together for a small parts order in the mean time. Need a variety of items. Thanks again to everyone for your involvement. 

Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 3:44pm
Well for now without a trip to the range. It looks like the problem might be solved with the mag catch swap. I measured and compared the two, and there was just under .007 difference for overall thickness from the back side to the two front tabs. The one removed looks fine and is EI stamped, but .007 seems quite excessive? Maybe somehow it slipped through the cracks for inspection. The law of leverage? .007 here, makes .012 - .014 there? There is a very noticeable difference with all mags. Range time come Tuesday will give the real story. 
Floyd: If you are still reading this post. I'm did find your suggestion of interest. My mags are reading at the .490+ at the lips already. Thanks again to all. Everyone has been of great help. 
Lightning 330
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 4:30pm
That’s good. Glad you might have solved your problem.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2023 at 5:13pm
Thanks.... I have my fingers crossed but feel good about what has been discovered. 
Sending a PM. Hope you don't mind. 
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply