The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Federal Ordnance Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magdump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Federal Ordnance Receiver
    Posted: Jan 29 2021 at 5:01pm
Hi,
I'm new to the Board so this might be an old question. I have a Federal Ord. receiver (looks like a #2 but I can't see the casting lines) with the ML stamp. S/N 2XX with the circle F on the left side. My question is since it's such a low S/N is it safe to build a rifle around it? It's parkerized and I can't see anything wrong with it like cracks but I just want to be sure it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for all the information on this site.
Tim Schmidt
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2021 at 2:18am
Hi, and welcome

I'm the researcher and author of the web page on FedOrd.

The FedOrd receivers were not inherently unsafe. Many assembled as operational carbines are still in use by owners. The s/n is no indication as to when the receiver was made. All FedOrd receivers were made within a two year time frame.

However...

Your serial number is consistent with the FedOrd receivers sold by SARCO as receivers only. SARCO buys surplus from various sources for resale. As does Numrich. Often it includes leftovers from companies having gone out of business. The majority of what they buy may be functional but along with it they get parts/receivers in various stages of manufacture along with rejects. They may or may not know which were rejects or why. It may not be obvious.    

As to your receiver in particular, it's impossible to know if it's safe without having a competent gunsmith who knows carbines examine it. I highly recommend having this done before assembling it into a functional carbine. The cost is usually less than $100 and a wise investment cheaper than a later ER visit.

Hope this helps

Jim
Magdump View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magdump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2021 at 10:18am
Thanks Jim,
I appreciate the information. 
I already have a carbine but when I came across this receiver, I thought it might be a good project if it was a good piece. I didn't want to put a lot of money into it if it was know to be unsafe.
I'll have it checked out.

Tim

Tim Schmidt
 Post Reply Post Reply