Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fed Ord Receiver Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magdump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fed Ord Receiver Question
    Posted: Aug 11 2021 at 1:10am
I need some technical assistance.
 I came across 2 low serial numbered Federal Ord. receivers. I sent one to the CMP with all the other parts. It all came back with the tech saying the receiver was warped. I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a way to tell if the other receiver is warped too before possibly wasting more time and money sending it back to CMP for a do over?
2. Is the first receiver repairable or is it now just a parkerized paper weight?

Any help would be appreciated.
Tim Schmidt
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2021 at 12:55pm
I think one could detect warpage by visual inspection or during assembly. I take it you sent the receiver as well as the internals to the CMP to have it all inspected and assembled?

An experienced eye can look at one and detect it, but if it’s not obvious, it will be when assembly is attempted. I have never heard of anyone trying to correct a warped receiver, especially a cast one.

I vote you likely have two paperweights. I would not suggest putting any serious money into building-out a Federal Ordnance.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2021 at 1:37pm
I have to agree with Floyd, odds are you have 2 paperweights. I'm not surprised CMP didn't want to mess with them.

The only non USGI receiver  I would trust to build a Carbine would be Fulton Armory
Magdump View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magdump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2021 at 5:35pm
Thanks, I'll take a hard look at the one I didn't send to CMP to see if I can detect any warpage.
In the mean time, anyone interested in a set of large cuff links??
Tim Schmidt
 Post Reply Post Reply