Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Parts?
    Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:03pm
What are the most commonly faked parts to be on the lookout for or are they all faked these days?

Being relatively new to the carbine world it seems to be a nightmare to shop for almost any part unless you are very knowledgeable. From what I see available and what I am reading in the few respected forums it is just crazy. I understand that this is not a new thing, but it is very discouraging. It almost seems like one must forego the Internet and only deal with people you know and trust completely. Very sad. Any thoughts for a newbie are appreciated.
M1Dude View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:04pm
I believe its the type 1 barrel band and early rear sight.
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:31pm
Yes, definitely barrel bands and rear sights, but I am concerned that these days it may go far beyond that. On ePay there are so many Rock-Ola firing pins and ejectors. I find it hard to believe there are so many available. Bill Ricca doesn't have too much WWII era stuff left. How could others have seemingly so much? Are people faking firing pins ejectors and other less "expensive" parts too? Maybe I am being too paranoid?
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:39pm
I should modify my initial question a bit. Are other parts like slides and bolts faked too? Are there any parts beyond the receiver that have not yet been faked?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 9:03pm
Riverbank sells slides "new in crate"

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 9:20pm
Underwood bolts. From a box of 10.  Date packed....Unknown.  Perfect for restoring an M1A1 back to original condition. Shocked
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 9:30pm
I apologize for my venting of frustration. I am sure this is not new for many of you. I happened to come across this thread on the CMP forum http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=29379 and just the thought that some people feel the mentioned publication is an alleged effort by humpers to legitimize their wares made me blow a gasket. I have to stop shopping for junk and buy the CCNLs.

I still hope for thoughts or discussion on the subject with suggestions for the new collector.

Carbine newbie.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 10:10pm
When I first started collecting, I ran across the exact same thread.  Also realized pretty quickly that there was a plethora of fake stuff out there.  Fake stuff isn't new in carbines nor any other "thing" of value.  Took the advice of more advanced collectors and tried to learn before purchasing something more than just a shooter.  Bought the important books (War Baby and somewhat Riesch).  Then upgraded to the newsletters.  All the while, learning from observations, searching past threads of message boards and most importantly, participating in carbine collecting and interacting with those more knowledgeable than me.  In fact, the first original carbine I ever bought was passed on to me by "friends in higher places".   Still have a lot to learn, but collecting anything requires a community.  That and 40 years of research at your fingertips.  Hopefully some of the above will help those just starting out collecting carbines.  Sometimes, what one omits from a post is more valuable than what one includes.
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 10:48pm
Thank you m1a1fan. Until I fell in love with carbines my collecting passion has been Parker Brothers shotguns. Different world. No fakes at all. Some reproduction butt plates, but those are obvious. About the same number made by Parker as Rock-Ola carbines.  Stepping into carbines and Garands has been an eye opener. I may sound a bit naïve, but I would characterize myself more as disappointed. That has not affected my appreciation of the carbine, or of this particular community. You all and what you do are a light in the darkness.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 11:57pm
You're welcome.  I know nothing of what you collect and would be in the same boat, but I would research first, hopefully meet someone with knowledge like yourself, try to learn and ask questions.  Hopefully I would learn enough to acquire something fantastic.

Disappointment can be turned into knowledge.  And knowledge has it's rewards.  Sometimes, keeping track of fakes can help identify what is real.  It's like sifting though buckets of fool's gold looking for real gold.  It can be time consuming, but makes the real gold much more appreciated since it will always be gold and you can watch others purchase fool's gold.  Hopefully, someday, you will be able to pass down your lessons to others.  How would I know to identify a repop PB shotgun?  While it seems like everyone is out to make a buck, there are honest people in the carbine collecting world.  If you look around, you'll be able to identify them.

Since you are new, you are lucky.  First you realize there's fake stuff out there.  Second, your not just jumping in and buying something that is presented as original when it really isn't.  Tough to do without knowing the difference.  Even experienced collector's can be fooled.  Now you can learn how to tell the difference, first.

My general rule is when I'm able to identify one thing on a carbine I think isn't right (at least what I think is right), fake or whatever....move on to the next one.

With experience, it should become easier to determine what is real and what isn't.  It's kinda of a catch 22.  A respected collector once told me you have to acquire an original to know what to look for.  It is then you will know most of what you looked at previously was not.

For example, master collectors (not me...yet) can look at the following two examples of 1st block Underwood's and determine if they are original or not.

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 10:45am
Reproduction firearm item awareness is something that I'm fairly passionate about. In case you have not seen it, here is a link to a lecture I presented in 2010 to The American Thompson Association about reproduction Thompson accessories, which includes some coverage of other firearm genres. You will not find much in the way of formal coverage of reproduction firearm items in printed form, or on the internet. Most examples are covered in discussion topics on forums like this. There is one book that exists, but it mostly covers pre-20th century firearms. The lecture presentation linked below also includes a Thompson reproduction item standard that we adopted as a collector club, which is available for other clubs to use as they see fit.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/TATA/2010/Repro%20Lecture%202010.pdf

Here is another pinned topic on the subject:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12358

Here is my main advice:

1. Be careful - Some fakers are out there with a profit motive on major transactions
2. Do not accept the terms "always" or "never" when used in Carbine collecting
3. Keep an open mind - Carbine experts exist (although this trait is not limited to Carbine experts) who have observed hundreds of examples of what "right" looks like - However, their opinions were formed based on the majority trait being the only correct trait - This conclusion is made without a general understanding of manufacturing quality principles - Exceptions occur in any manufacturing process - That being said, exceptions should be few, and should have the "5 Whys" principle applied to them (This dovetails with #2 above) - These statements should not be construed as a recommendation to disregard expert opinions - Just to "keep an open mind," as I stated to begin with
4. The current Carbine Club policy states, "If a person wants to restore a gun to its original configuration, refinish the metal or wood, fill in rear sight staking marks, re-stamp a stock, or use reproduction parts, that is his private business as long as that gun is for his own collection. It is dishonest to later sell or trade such a gun, without full disclosure of all the restoration that was done." This is a well intended rule, but it is inherently flawed, considering the fact that we are temporary custodians of these Carbines - Our widows will not know a thing about what "private business" was done to a Carbine, and the estate asset of the deceased will flow into the collector community for immediate sale - The only caveat to this is if the Carbine's modification was noted on a Carbine Data Sheet, but that will likely not be available for consideration at the time of sale

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 12:04pm
Thanks David. The presentation you shared was outstanding. It sure would be nice to see similar information for the carbine, although I have heard some opinions that clear documentation online of fake vs. real will only allow the fakers to better their products. Catch 22. Great advice from all posters. Thank you.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by eestes eestes wrote:

Thanks David. The presentation you shared was outstanding. It sure would be nice to see similar information for the carbine, although I have heard some opinions that clear documentation online of fake vs. real will only allow the fakers to better their products. Catch 22. Great advice from all posters. Thank you.

Thanks for your kind words about the Thompson presentation.

Yes, the train of thought certainly exists that documenting fakes makes the fakers fake better. I've encountered it many times in different firearm genres, with it being most prevalent among Carbine collectors. I respect that opinion, though my own opinion is that documenting fakes is the right thing to do for current and future collectors.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 12:35pm
Since no one mentioned it, I'll throw in my two-bits worth to also watch out for stocks.  There are several "after market" cartouches.  Since you mentioned Garands, that would go for them too.

On a more up-beat note, thanks eestes for posting this discussion.  I'm glad to see this info consolidated into a fresh discussion.  Like yourself, I found myself thoroughly "disappointed" and disgusted once I found out about the "plethora of fake stuff out there" as m1a1fan stated.  Unfortunately I had "jumped out there" and made a couple purchases not realizing the lack of integrity some sellers have.  I haven't disassembled them for a full inspection yet, so hopefully it will be OK.  By the way, I did buy a full set of the CCNLs.  I'm still trying to figure it all out but the great news is that these guys on this forum are the ones who can help.  I've had a few specifics that were readily answered and I really appreciate it.  

Regards      
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 3:40pm
Sling00, I recommend reading 366-367 first. Then to end making notes when it references earlier newsletters. Then go start at beginning. This is due to early on there was info that was not yet discovered.

Learn what is best info first, then the minutia
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 5:16pm
sling00,

Congrats on you acquisition of the NL's!  It was so overwhelming when I first received them, didn't know where to start.  Started at the beginning but kept wanting to move to the later ones.  Even though I've had them for a while, I still find myself looking for one thing and finding another.  Enjoy!

Highly recommend the manufacturer reviews. Very helpful to practice the evaluation process.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 6:27am
Yep, the NL's are overwhelming.  That is a lot of information.  I appreciate the suggestions on getting through them and by the way I do have a copy of the index.  

By the way, please let me clarify something on my previous post above.  My experience did not involve anyone on this forum.   

Thanks
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2017 at 11:02pm
Overwhelming but in a good way.  I've started inserting little sticky notes as a quick way to get to things.  Have broken out a few things into sections, like those pertaining to M1A1's and the manufacturer reviews.  Have been known to take them to auctions for quick reference.

Post Reply Post Reply