The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Expected Case Stretch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expected Case Stretch
    Posted: Jun 08 2020 at 3:17pm
I got out of reloading a few years ago. I am considering getting back into it for the Carbine. I need input on a question for the re-loaders. How much stretch can I expect from a fired case after sizing? I had all those notes, but not any more. Don't want to have to purchase another brass-trimmer and do have a couple of actions that can easily accept cases of 1.290 and a bit longer. I used to trim back to 1.286.

Before I invest in dies and other gear, would just like to know.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2020 at 6:15pm
A lot depends on how you load them. The lower the pressure, the less the stretch. Those Lee case trimmers are cheap enough and do a decent job. That's what I use for my carbine cases.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2020 at 6:31pm
Understand all that. I am just trying to determine how far they will stretch. Habitually, I have ran every case thru the trimmer set to 1.286. Surely, I have trimmed many cases that did not need it. Just wondering if anyone knows.

Just a hypothetical sort of question.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 7:48am
I keep my brass sorted, I start with new brass, check size, shoot and check size after resizing and trash them when the need a second trim. I rarely ever trash brass.
David Milisock
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 8:44am
We are all different with varying habits. I was one of those that determined it was just as easy to run all the brass thru the set trimmer as opposed to measuring and sorting it. No right or wrong way to do it I guess. It’s all fun.

I just want to get back into reloading on a much smaller scale. If there is limited danger of ever stretching a case much more than 1.290 before it’s tossed, I will have no need for a trimmer. That’s my point.

I guess the right answer is the practical answer....get the dies, size the brass and figure out If I need a trimmer for myself.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 12:46pm
Floyd,
true what you said above.
Carbine cases have little reason to stretch, and unless you are going to shoot/reload each case
many times- I doubt you would need to trim at all.

Few carbines will have a minimum chamber, as discussed in your other thread on headspace.
Don
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Floyd,
true what you said above.
Carbine cases have little reason to stretch, and unless you are going to shoot/reload each case
many times- I doubt you would need to trim at all.

Few carbines will have a minimum chamber, as discussed in your other thread on headspace.

Thanks for the comments. I had been reloading for years, but just got interested in carbine's relatively late in my life. I was probably very cautious back then and maybe considered the gun might blow-up if I didn't trim brass. Any of them still could I suppose, but I have learned a great deal about carbine's since then.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2020 at 5:08pm
I made a case length gauge. When I shoot a batch, I run the empties through it. If they pass, they get reloaded. If they don't, then they get trimmed. I don't bother with uniformed length since the carbine isn't an accuracy rifle. It would be a waste of time and effort. As a result, I can't actually say how often they need trimming. Besides, I mix brass anyway so different brands and different batches will yield different results.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Lesau1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesau1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2020 at 7:49pm
Couldn’t the extra length of the case affect the feeding of the round?  

Lesau
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2020 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Lesau1 Lesau1 wrote:

Couldn’t the extra length of the case affect the feeding of the round?  

No, it would be the overall length that would affect feeding.
Don
Impala12 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2020 at 8:51pm
I have been reloading for the .30 carbine since 1978. I have owned a number of GI Carbines over the years, most have been mixmasters. Accuracy and reliability varied greatly from gun to gun. I started off with a very basic trimmer. I believe it was a Forester. I used a  gage to confirm case length and oal of loaded round. About 15 years ago I upgraded to an RCBS Trim Pro and purchased a digital caliper.

I started off with an RCBS die set and have recently added an RCBS carbide sizer and Redding taper crimp die. I recently completed a 1,500 round run of .30 carbine using Berry's plated bullets, CCI #41 primers and 14 Gr of H110. I always trim brass to 1.286. The brass is sorted by head stamp before reloading.  

My main shooter is built from a mixed bag GI parts kit and an Underwood receiver.  It looks like an honest post war arsenal rebuild. All of the parts  are in nice shape. The stock is a Rockola made for Quality Hardware. It has strong ordenance wheel on the right and an Underwood rebuild stamp on the left. 

This is the most accurate and reliable carbine that I have owned. With PPU 110 fmj it will hold 3" at 100 yards on a good day. The reloads with the Berry plated bullets groups a little wider but is just as reliable as factory ammunition. 

I have just purchased a 500 rd lot of PPU 110 gr fmj bullets. These will be loaded per the Speer manual with 15 grains of W296 and CCI #41 primers.

Reloading for this round is a lot of fun and helps to get the most out of a carbine.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Those Lee case trimmers are cheap enough and do a decent job. That's what I use for my carbine cases.

I also use the Lee trimmers, they are cheap and work well.
At first I took Jim's (smokepole) advice and trim with a screw gun. But moved on to a electric drill mounted in a woodworkers vice on it's side on the bench top. I have a radiator clamp that I adjust for the speed I need. Easier than holding my battery screw guns. I keep a wastebucket below it. I change the trimmer out for the primer pocket cleaner, also attach a stiff nylon brush to polish any grime from inside, and can stick the de-burr and chamfer bits in to clean up case mouth. It far outlasted my last RCBS trim mate center........ and I have many electric drills. Made templates for case lengths of all calibers I load for. Length template when attached to the bench hangs over enough to make checking length a quick job.
I have over 10,000 once fired carbine brass /i bought from JimF.
The rest is in the good, gooder, goodest buckets.

Also have 2 Lyman vibrate tumblers. But I usually go industrial using 1 gallon or 5 gallon plastic buckets for cleaning brass, using my paint shakers.
Usually do my reloading in the Winter.

But it is nice after Sizing when no trimming is needed.

Ch-P777

PS: Under $10 for a Lee trimmer with the shank to attach to a drill.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply