Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethiopian carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:10pm
Ed,
Sorry to hear that about your NPM; even worse than mine it sounds.

Still no further word from RTI; but since there are no Rock-olas left, I guess I got
stuck with what I "asked" for. :(

Just the luck of the draw, some got really nice stuff at the lowest price, others didn't get
what they ordered. I believe they are about out of carbines now, so that won't be a choice
for others.
Don
CoastieEd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CoastieEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:17pm
Don (03manV),
Not that it really matters but mine is a National Postal Meter.
Here's the parts and condition:

Group

Part

Type

Marking

Manufacturer

Features

Condition

Barrel Assembly

Barrel

Short skirt

Bomb, P

Underwood 1 or 4 - 44

Machined Gas Cylinder

Heavily Sandblasted, Parkerized, Rusty Bore (left side)

Reciever

POSTAL METER 4295550

National Postal Meter

U.S. CARBINE CAL 30 M1

Sandblasted

Barrel Band

III

AI

Inland

Bayonet Lug

Good

Sights

Front

I

N

Inland

Height mark 3

Sandblasted, Rough

Rear

II

PI

Inland or S.G.

Sandblasted

Bolt Assembly

Bolt

III

A.I.

Inland

Round, Pointed Right Lug

Good

Firing Pin

III

Bolt not disassembled

unk

unk

Excellent

Ejector

Bolt not disassembled

unk

Flat face 45deg bevel

Excellent

Extractor

II or III

Bolt not disassembled

unk

n/a

Excellent

Trigger Housing Group

Housing

V

Inland

Inland

n/a

Heavily sandblasted,

Sear

II

SW-N

National Postal Meter

n/a

Excellent

Trigger

Late

.U

Underwood

n/a

Sand blasted, Rough

Trigger Spring

II

n/a

n/a

n/a

light rust, cleaned

Hammer

III

B/R circled

Brunner/Ritter

Replacement Part

Excellent

Safety

IV

SS (circled)

Rotary, Post WWII

Excellent

Magazine Catch

IV

M underlined

M2 Carbine

Sandblasted, Rough

Slide

Slide

II

PI not underlined

Inland

Stamped with a C on forward edge.

Good

Slide stop and spring

Late

n/a

unk

n/a

Good

Recoil spring and guide

n/a

unk

45deg bevel

unaltered

Stock

Lower

III

- P (contractor proof)                 

unk

Low Wood

Several dents, no cracks, Dark, Rough cutouts

U.S. Army Ordnance proof

AN (Anniston) (2 each)

Hand guard

n/a

LW-B

IBM, Lumb Woodworking Co. Poughkeepsie, NY

2 rivets

Several dents, no cracks, Dark

Some info I don't have but as you can see it is definitely NOT have even the few parts that were originally made by NPM.  I really am only disappointed in the condition of the barrel.  It may be the difference of hanging it on a wall and taking it to the range.  We'll see when I call RTI.
Ed
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 12:39pm
Mine came in yesterday (Excellent-Unissued). I received a late 1943 National Postal Meter with Marlin barrel and Winchester stock. Low wood, two lugs, flat bolt. I spotted a "P" with a small dent below Marlin on the barrel, from what I read this means it's the original barrel that came with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Like the poster below, heavily parkerized and it took a thorough cleaning and oiling to get the bayonet lug to move. Barrel is in excellent condition from what I could see. 

I did notice two small rust spots, one in front of the swivel safety and another on the front sight post in the crease. Definitely NOT "excellent" condition but overall I'm satisfied. This is my first carbine. 

She cleaned up beautifully. Just lots of work!
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 3:45pm
Be advised, their definition of "unissued" is something other than unissued to U.S. troops during or after WWII. More than a few they have indicated as unissued have been rebuilt by a stateside Ordnance inspect and rebuild program and have the arsenal rebuild markings on the stock. This includes those their narrator claims as "unissued" in his videos.

What they consider "excellent" is often not what we would consider "excellent". They use the term loosely.

Horrible Aim, the P on the barrel was put there when the carbine barrel was proof round tested. Either by the barrel manufacturer or the prime contractor who assembled the barrel onto one of their carbines then proof tested/test fired the carbine. It's not necessarily original to the receiver, tho it may be.

If you are not familiar with what "unissued" should look like or the parts it should have, post the info here on the forum like Ed did. Or something similar. Photos work. We'll let ya know what ya got.

This retailer is either not knowledgeable about carbines, doesn't take the time to learn, or uses terms they are not familiar with or exaggerate. Don't trust them. They will celebrate all the way to the bank if you don't double check what they sold you.

Also fyi, do a Google search of "Ulrich Wiegand" and have a look at the Federal Court felony conviction operating as InterOrdnance in NC preceding his move to FL. My guess is the current Federal license they are using is in the name of a close relative, such as a wife. The conviction involved the import and sale of full auto items from Weigand GmbH in Germany. With a different Weigand defendant not tried in the USA.

ATF has gotta know what this guy is doing. Not like he's hiding it. No appeal on that conviction.

Point being, trust is something he needs to earn. Not be granted automatically just because he's selling carbines.

Jim
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 9:27am
Every time I see an email notification of this thread I hear this song in my head.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 3:17pm
I know I'm the new guy here but I'm going to respectfully chime in.....

These RTI Ethiopian M1 Carbines are not worth the asking price. These newly imported carbines are grotesquely misrepresented on conditions. Don't get me wrong here, I'm happy to see 16k +/- come in for sure, but not at the prices Ulrich Wiegand is asking. Unfortunately, they will get their asking prices and they will all be sold.....supply/demand.

So, that just makes all my CMP documented carbines even more valuable. 

I too have spoken to their CS and have asked many questions and each question is answered differently depending on who you speak with. I would gladly shell out $1400.00 for an early feature, all factory unissued original of ANY manufacture! 

Anyhow, rant over. Thank you for the thread and the post. Have a great day!
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Ricci1165 Ricci1165 wrote:

I know I'm the new guy here but I'm going to respectfully chime in.....

These RTI Ethiopian M1 Carbines are not worth the asking price. These newly imported carbines are grotesquely misrepresented on conditions. Don't get me wrong here, I'm happy to see 16k +/- come in for sure, but not at the prices Ulrich Wiegand is asking. Unfortunately, they will get their asking prices and they will all be sold.....supply/demand.

So, that just makes all my CMP documented carbines even more valuable. 

I too have spoken to their CS and have asked many questions and each question is answered differently depending on who you speak with. I would gladly shell out $1400.00 for an early feature, all factory unissued original of ANY manufacture! 

Anyhow, rant over. Thank you for the thread and the post. Have a great day!

All that is "true", except:
since they are nearly sold out- the carbines must be "worth" the asking price to someone- else they 
would not be sold and prices would be tumbling down. Confused

The UN-Q that one guy got was certainly worth the price he paid; but then he was just "lucky".

I was not particularly happy with my Rock-ola; but I did not send it back either.Ouch

Don
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 5:49pm
Don,

USGI carbines obviously are in such high demand that the average person looking on GB to purchase one had better have at least a "grand" before even looking. Yeah, I was getting mine way back like many others here but would gladly pay the advertising price if the source was trust worthy, as you are unfortunately well aware now. I'm not knocking your experience but if you're not happy, send it back! Have them make it right. You paid good money for a misrepresented received carbine. If they sell out, good for them, that's business......
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Ricci1165 Ricci1165 wrote:

Don,

USGI carbines obviously are in such high demand that the average person looking on GB to purchase one had better have at least a "grand" before even looking. Yeah, I was getting mine way back like many others here but would gladly pay the advertising price if the source was trust worthy, as you are unfortunately well aware now. I'm not knocking your experience but if you're not happy, send it back! Have them make it right. You paid good money for a misrepresented received carbine. If they sell out, good for them, that's business......

I did not send it back, as there were no more "rockolas" for it to be replaced with -so not chance to make it right ; but not "unhappy" enough to turn it back into $$. 
After all, when will I get another that had the sands of Abyssinia in it and goat tracks on the stock? Tongue

I had many carbines back in the '70s, sold them all and moved into something else.
Just decided to re-assemble a set of been there done that carbines by each mfg; re-works, Mil assistance, returns from where ever. Having been "away" from carbines for over 30 years, I'm suffering "sticker shock".Confused

As far as RTI being trustworthy, I didn't expect much given their troubles as IO. They were active only about 30 miles from me here, so I was wary from the beginning.Ouch

Don
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 1:03pm
Don,

Yes, sticker shock is exactly what these prices are today....I've also had many come and go as times goes by with lifes obvious changes.

I'm happy to own what I own and continue, as we all do, to seek that "great deal". Personally, It's rare nowadays. We all keep moving forward with the best of intentions, helping each other and sharing all the knowledge on this forum. 

I do not own a Rockola myself and would love to locate one, import or no import...it is part of its history..... Smile
Guppy35 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guppy35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 2:59pm
I'd been lucky on my first RTI when I bought one of the lowest priced ones and it turned out to be an Un-Quality.  Due to the obvious Springfield Armory refurbishment of 46-47 the Type III rear sight hid the name.  So I ended up with one more valuable then what I spent.

On a whim I called and asked if they had any 'project' carbines, that might need some work.  For $300 less I got another one from RTI. It should be here this weekend.  What's interesting is it's an early Inland serial number #332681. 

I have no idea what kind of shape it will be in.  Sounded like it may just be stock issues, but it doesn't matter.  It's a piece of history and maybe this will be the one I try and bring back to original configuration as a way of helping me become more understanding of the workings of a carbine.  That makes three for me now, a bring back Inland in original form, the Un-Quality import, and the one on the way.  No I'm not an addict.....yet<walks away twitching> :)
ACT701 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACT701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 9:20pm
Have you gotten your Project Carbine?  What did it look like?
Thanks 
hogswild View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 5:53pm
Brand new member, hello everyone

Here's my experience with the RTI carbines

After ordering an Rock-ola and receiving an Inland, RTI paid for the return and shipped out  the Rock-ola same day they got the Inland

Picked it up last week and no complaints

I think 1944 receiver, Rock-ola barrel 

I think low wood Underwood stock

Please correct me if I'm wrong as this is only my second carbine and I'm still learning

Some quick pics from the shop

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 6:07pm
@ hogswild, Welcome to the forum, yes that is an Underwood stock made by Marlin.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hogswild View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 9:57pm
Thanks W5USMC, glad to be here and thanks for confirming the stock

Just for kicks, here is the Inland they sent me in error

I think for a while they were pulling orders for manufacturer by the barrel marking

I ordered a Rock-ola and received an Inland with Rock-ola barrel

As stated in previous post though, they took care of it quickly so no complaints on my end

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 6:07am
Is that a casting mark down the center of the recoil plate?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 7:15am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Is that a casting mark down the center of the recoil plate?

Yes, not surprising given the replacement pot belly wood. I have a couple cast plates like it that came on m2 stocks.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 6:24pm
I too have ordered and unissued one from RTI (still awaiting delivery).  I just came upon this cheesy promo video they did.  Ugh. 

lostsmitty View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lostsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 12:27am
New to the group and M1 Carbine.  I've been wanting one and saw a link to RTI carbines in a facebook group. I put in my order purchased one. Picked it up from the FFL Wednesday.  At the moment all i can tell is it's an IBM. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up and figuring out what parts I have.  
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 1:01pm
My third Carbine just shipped. I ordered an "early configuration" and received the serial number today (2112xxx) which I believe is Standard Products. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>