Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Quality Hardware Carbine w/ some odd parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Quality Hardware Carbine w/ some odd parts
    Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 9:07pm

Has a lot of early parts on it, which is cool, though some are a bit odd (Details later in post)

Good amount of bluing left on the bolt! I could not find a mark on the bolt to indicate who made it.

Rock-Ola Barrel from 1942! The bore is amazing too.

This front Swivel is the main part that to me seems unlikely to be original to that gun. The band itself is unmarked.

Now for those of you interested in the mess going on under the hood as it were, read on! 

I am having trouble with identifying / authenticating a lot of the internals. There are some weird manufacturer combos and a lot of unmarked parts. 

I just got into carbine collecting, so any insight is greatly appreciated!

National Postal Meter Trigger housing (Type II if I am not mistaken) 

The mag catch seems a little odd to me, and is unmarked.

The sear is stamped Quality Hardware and the bluing matches that of the Hammer Strut

The Hammer is unmarked Type I

So all in all, either I have parts from some lazy manufacturers who didn't mark their stuff, or someone has gone to great lengths to make this gun seem "correct".

Other notable unmarked parts are the operating slide, safety button and trigger. Hope you enjoyed!

UPDATE: Here is the completed datasheet for this carbine:

Edited by bzh362 - Feb 16 2021 at 11:23pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 9:39pm
does your serial number start with 155? 1550?
do you know what receiver type? this will help

Mag catch is usually marked on the face that touches the magazine.

What number is on the opposite side of the trigger housing?

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 10:14pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

The unmarked bolt is probably a commercial replacement. I don't see the proof punch mark on the bolt that's typical of a USGI part. The other unmarked TH parts and the unmarked operating slide may have also been scavenged from a commercial source. Are there any markings on the stock?
JackP
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 10:45pm
Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I can already tell I am going to have a lot of fun here. Lots of great guns to look at and great info.

first 4 of SN are 1551 according to the link you sent me New2Brass, receiver is type 1, having only the rear notch.

The only other mark I can see on the trigger housing is on the left side (opposite side from N) just above the trigger is a mark that looks like a "1" turned 45 degrees to the right.

Stock is marked RMC with a flaming bomb next to it. There is a crossed cannon cartouche on the other side. Handguard is stamped "O" or "0" with a flaming bomb mark.

As for the bolt... there is a dimple on the right lug that looks like a rockwell test mark. Is there any way to definitively tell if it's commercial? That would be kind of a bummer.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 11:01pm
Can you post a close-up picture of the punch mark?

NPM transferred 1000 trigger housings to QHMC in March of '43, but your carbine was probably made a month or two earlier. Still??

Type 1 stock looks correct.
JackP
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 11:21pm
Here is the mark on the bolt, thanks for all the info!

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 11:29pm
I'm looking for a punch mark here (white arrow). See this link.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/bolts.html

Also, is there a small round hole on the bottom of the bolt?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2020 at 11:35pm
Is there a small hole on the bottom of the bolt?

Very early Inland handguards had an O for Overton, the question is how it wound up on a QHMC.
Can you take a picture of the front of the trigger housing of the area below the two ears .
Like the far right pic below

On the receiver, looking down from the top on the right side where the slide is, do you see a round hole and a rectangular hole, or just the round hole?
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 12:13am
cool--it matches up closely to my 1551422 EX marked gun -unmarked bolt, safety, hammer , mag catch extractor, FP, 12-42 R, My trig house has N on one side and what looks to be a 7 on other side-is type 1 housing-front sight was JQ, my stock and rear sight was not orig to gun-wished I had your handguard and stock!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 12:33am
COM 266 (1550186 EX) also has unmarked trigger, hammer, safety and mag catch and an "N" marked TH.

Things are looking better.

(Ref SS)
JackP
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 1:14am
mine has unmarked trigger also and the proof on bolt is at rear of bolt-my 7 not very legible on trig house and is opposite side of the N
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 1:18am
how is your rear sight staked? also your foto not showing hardness proof mark in front of rear sight??? may be foto angle. how is rear sight marked?
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 12:56pm
No hole on the bottom of the bolt, but while looking for that, I found that each lobe of the right bolt lug had a punch mark on it (top right and bottom)

here are the pictures of the trigger guard as well: 

And here is a view of the rear of the receiver / rear sight. Looks like a stake on each corner and either one or two marks in the dovetail. The punch on the receiver is much more obvious here.

new2brass, looks like I have two cut outs.

Edited by bzh362 - Feb 16 2021 at 11:26pm
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 2:47pm
looks like staked in the dovetail base??
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 2:59pm
Q-GE is rare marking for sear--most all are GE-Q--I have a QHMC with a Q-GE marked flip sight-some thought it was fake
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 3:04pm
All 4 corners of the sight and 1 visible in the dovetail itself. I don't see any doubling up or flattening.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 3:07pm
Q-GE is rare marking for sear--most all are GE-Q--I have a QHMC with a Q-GE marked flip sight-some thought it was fake
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 4:05pm
Very fine type one receiver Quality Hardware. 4 digit piece. Thanks for sharing good stuff. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2020 at 11:20am
BTW, A type one receiver was prone to cracking between the two holes.
I would not be shooting this collectable carbine.
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2020 at 12:33pm
New2brass, have no fear, I wasn't planning on it. 

BTW, what was the deal with the hole on the bottom of the bolt? I've never heard of that. Or is that a feature of commercial bolts to channel gas in case of a case rupture or other oops?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>