The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Feature Import - New Member PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wgw5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Feature Import - New Member PA
    Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 8:07am
Hello all, 

New owner of a m1 carbine here from PA. I have always loved US history and am stoked to be learning more about these little rifles. Looking for some advice on if I made a mistake into my first foray into carbine collecting.

Some pics of the carbine are here;
 https://imgur.com/a/jBe8nk8

I purchased an early feature RTI import. Initially I thought I had received an neat interesting rifle. Inland receiver with 131XXX serial number. 11-42 marked inland barrel that seems to match. Flip sight drifted to the right and inland marked trigger group with push button safety. Finish is in pretty good shape, and the barrel looks good, both chamber and grooves.It really looks like all the metal parts are original early war production. Stock is beat up, has Ethiopian writing and the front barrel band is missing its pin and held together with a bent vintage it a paper clip.

The issue with the rifle is the slide is not retained by the receiver groove when the bolt is closed. It pops in and out as freely as it does at the disassembly notch. Otherwise it seems to cycle by hand without issue whether the tab is pushed into the receiver or not. I had thought this was a significant issue, my but my local gun shop did not believe it was a big issue or affected function and advised me to hold on to the rifle. 

I am certain this is caused by some wear or poor machining on the receiver, although I don’t believe it looks obviously worn. I am convinced the barrel is properly aligned, the “op rod” is not bent and the “tab” on the “op rod” is still within spec as some on reddit speculated. 

Any advice from those knowledgeable of the carbine is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by New2brass - Jul 28 2020 at 1:27pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 8:26am
Welcome.
The slide should never disengage from the receiver anywhere except to the rear where it's designed to. Anyone saying differently in a professional capacity is opening himself to potential litigation from a personal injury attorney. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 9:29am
Looking at the pics, it may be a combination of slide tab wear (as said on Reddit) combined with slide groove wear. Running it without lubrication probably caused that. These Carbines weren't well maintained nor cared for properly.
You can have the slide tab repaired, but that may not totally rectify it with any slide groove wear. I'd find a couple of other slides and try them.
Apply a good quality grease to the right bolt lug pocket (of the slide), the receiver slide tab/grooves  and lightly grease where the slide installs into the barrel slide grooves.

The wear pattern is not uniform on the ceiling of the slide groove so maybe measure that against the specifications. By eye it might be fine with a good slide. There's also the tab slide groove (an overhead of the same area) to look at. It usually may not see the same forces.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 5:10pm
Your carbine receiver is quite worn.
I would try to return it to RTI.
If you show them the pictures and explain the problem, perhaps they will do
the right thing and replace it.
Don
Wgw5000 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wgw5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 9:07pm
thanks all for the advice. I was set to have RTI exchange it. I had an email from them to send it in, but the local gun shop had me second guessing myself. Really appreciate the knowledge. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2020 at 9:58pm
Keep us posted on whether or not you send it back and what you get in exchange for it. Hopefully RTI does the right thing. If you are at all curious about the writing on the stock read the below thread.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Wgw5000 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wgw5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 3:21pm
wow, that is incredible about the writing. I never would have guessed it was the initials for a Marxist revolutionary political party Shocked. I just figured it was some inventory tracking number like they put the QR code’s on these days. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2020 at 5:11pm
Yea,
They used Goat Blood.

Pic of inside the Op slide Cam cut to see if it's all wobbled out.
Clean, Oil, Lube, Change Op Slide and Op Rod Spring.
Be sure Slide's stop pin isn't hanging up.

Good Luck
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image