The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doubles Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doubles Anyone?
    Posted: Apr 04 2023 at 5:52pm
Experienced my first ever double today. I am searching for the reason, mostly to see if I can repeat it when I want toošŸ˜.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2023 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Experienced my first ever double today. I am searching for the reason.
Too much coffee!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2023 at 8:06pm
Unless you were holding the carbine very loosely and it bounced off your shoulder I'd say it is likely a worn sear/hammer or a broken sear spring.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2023 at 8:19pm
Yep, likely something to do with with the sear engagement it was not a slam-firm so the bolt had to be rotated. I know it is possible to ā€œlearnā€ how to go auto with some weapons. Iā€™ve seen videos of guys that have it down to a fine art with the M14/M1A. I will get around to taking it apart and take a look-see. Could have been my hold as well. I was fooling with ill-fitting magazines and might have been a littleā€¦not paying attention.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2023 at 9:48pm
I can bump fire a carbine. I've done it, but won't do it any more. Too hard on the carbine.... It also gets very expensive very quickly!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2023 at 7:16pm
Local guy looked me up, his was Doubling and running off up to 3-4x when he put it up. A gunsmith told him it was the gas system (?) and likely a stuck firing pin, over the phone.

I showed him the firing pin was fine. I replaced 1 part at a time then would try to shoot 3 rds: Trigger, hammer, sear. Problem continued until replacing the old Sear spring, which was really weak. All his original parts were put back in. Just seen him at our annual Rifle club meeting 2 weeks ago and it's running fine for him.

To be clear I'd take 1 part out, replace with another and shoot. If problem continued I put original back in and move to the next part and repeat.
** I don't recall ever checking the trigger spring**

You'll figure it out Floyd, your good at this Thumbs Up

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2023 at 7:59am
I have fired that carbine a considerable amount since then Charlie without issues. Got a couple of spare bolts on the way and want to head space them in this action, so I am waiting to tear it down so I can do that all at once. I am pretty sure I just got sloppy running magazines and just did not pay much attention to how I was shooting. 

I never have tried to bump-shoot a weapon on purpose and probably never considered a carbine as a candidate for that anywayā€¦..and donā€™t want to.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2023 at 3:58pm
Where you getting spare bolts Floyd? 

I probably need to grab one for a spare.

What part of MS are you in?  I work in Helena, right across the river.  Dad grew up in Hernando.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2023 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by jeepwm69 jeepwm69 wrote:

Where you getting spare bolts Floyd?

The usual places, other forum members, check the parts-for-sale threads, gunpoker and even epay. I keep one spare bolt for the carbines I shoot regularly. Strangely enough, bolts have not elevated in price as compared to other carbine parts. Not talking collector bolts hereā€¦.shooting bolts that head space. I do have a couple of candidates I could let go. PM me if you are interested.

I am right on exit 24 I-55 south. Thatā€™s about 70 miles south of Jackson and 24 miles north of the LA line. I know exactly where Hernando is and have been thru there several times. Been thru Helena a time or two as well.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2023 at 11:23am
I went down through Jackson and Hattiesburg a while back, heading to the Gulf.

I'll pm you on a bolt, just to pick your brain.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2023 at 1:30pm
I went thru that trigger housing. Everything looked good. I chalk it up to operator error.
 Post Reply Post Reply