The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Difference between factory ammo and my own reloads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between factory ammo and my own reloads
    Posted: Aug 02 2022 at 2:35am
When I use factory ammo the sights are perfect, when I use my own reloads the p.o.i. (on 25 yards) has moved one inch to the left and one inch lower.

could never figure out why, all brass is sized, went thru a tumbler with crushed wallnut so looks nice, same powderload as a friend of mine and so on.

Measured all the different brands of factory ammo that I had and everything was about the same with my reloads.

could not find the problem, untill naah could it be ?

yesterday I took a bronze brush that I use for cleaning the barrel put it in a drill and cleaned the inside of the neck of each casing, shot 25 rounds and they were perfect, the dust from the crushed wallnut was causing the problem, it caused extra friction between the neck and bullit.

Those litle things realy make a big difference
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
Timothy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2022 at 1:32am
Liberium
The mechanical engineer in me does not make me a statistical expert, but I’ve had a class or two and have some 40 years of experience of making things, putting them together and taking them apart. My thoughts on your hypothesis: I can accept a dirty case mouth may influence POI variance, but why only to the left and below? Presumably your reloaded round is loaded into the magazine (and thus the chamber) rather randomly with respect to how it was oriented on your loading press. Would not the variance be plus or minus an inch in random angles?
Respectfully
Tim
T R
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2022 at 4:13am
Well my thoughts are that with the wallnut dust between neck and bullit there is more friction, the dust is coated all around the inside fo the neck therefore it builds up more pressure(or could it be less pressure if it has less friction because of the wallnut powder) every single reload, and therefore it has the same shift of poi every time.

never would I have thought that a bit of wallnut dust would have that kind of difference in poi, friends of mine who also shoot .30m1 car. were amazed that this was the problem, in a competition I could only use factory ammo, and these days they are getting pretty expensive, now I can use my own reloads for competition.

1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
 Post Reply Post Reply