The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did US&S make other parts other than receivers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiggly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did US&S make other parts other than receivers?
    Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 12:33pm
I haven't found much info on Union Switch & Signal. Did they make other parts/mags for the M1?
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 3:33pm
slides
jim77cg View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim77cg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 4:14pm
Also made bolts. My NPM has one.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2017 at 10:56pm

Union Switch and Signal made many parts for the war effort including Bomb parts. They also made parts for the .50 cal machine guns. They  made 1911s. The list is long.
However for the carbine they made only Slides, Bolts and receivers.
They made all three parts for NPM and QHMC.
They also made bolts and slides for RO

US&S did have a contract to make receivers for RO but did not deliver any in time so RO cancelled the order.

There is an excellent article on the topic in CCNL 198 by Larry Ruth

I have examples of the parts for NPM and QHMC

I am looking for a type 4 slide for Quality to round out the types for my collection.

I have seen the RO slides but never a bolt. Would love to have one of each but will settle for some high quality pics
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 12:03pm
Swissvale also made one heck of a 1911A1
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Swissvale also made one heck of a 1911A1
"One" isn't too far off in the big scheme of 1911A1 production. Come on CMP... 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 7:39pm
Not holding my breath, but we will see what they get. Gotta be a few switches in there somewhere....hopefully.

Has a Switch receiver once but got rid of it since it was so hard to find parts for it. Have never seen a few of them.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 8:20pm
the big question is are they going to be affordable? And by that I mean any of the 1911s
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

the big question is are they going to be affordable? And by that I mean any of the 1911s
I would think so. When I got my carbines from them in 07-09, the most I paid was $675, that was for a service grade S'G', the other 9 carbines I got ranged between $479 and $575. Hoping that if and when they do start selling the 1911's that they will be something close to that, I am assuming that they will have alot more pistols to sell than they had carbines. One can only hope.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2017 at 9:02pm
Would think at first they would be cheaper depending on condition, maker, etc... The great ones will end on auction site.

When they first get here it will be like Christmas.
 Post Reply Post Reply