Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dents in casings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dents in casings
    Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 8:49am
one strange thing is happening, halfway the case I have a dent in it, ammo is factory S&B I assume the case hits someting when ejecting, no clue what or how to prevent it

anyone had this happen too ?

1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 9:14am
It may have hit something when it ejected.  Unless you're saying each and every case has the same mark.
David Milisock
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 9:57am
I ran into the same dents when purchasing once-fired brass. Roughly 20 out of 100 had these marks. Need a slo-mo video of ejections to solve this mystery.

Dave
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 10:24am
I had the same question a few years ago, I ended up changing the op slide in that particular carbine to a type V (angled cam) and it seemed to resolve the issue. Here is the link to that thread.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 12:54pm
According to the Carbine sight this group is linked to the type 5 and 6 slide when compared to previous slides has .040 removed from the front where it rests against the piston and the same amount opened up in the cam where it fits the bolt.

That allows the slide to travel .040 farther front and upon firing develop slightly more momentum before it engages the bolt to take it out of battery and to extract the case.

In my experiance slide type 4 and older are more sensitive to weak recoil springs and weak powder charges or powder charges of improper burn rates.

A stronger spring in the type 4 and older slides requires that the pressure curve develop farther along before it could over power its force and start to take the bolt out of battery. 
David Milisock
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 1:58pm
Probably involves more than one factor, but the early slide is usually tagged as the culprit. I have never had the issue and my favorite shooter wears a type 3 slide, doesn’t dent brass. 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Probably involves more than one factor, but the early slide is usually tagged as the culprit. I have never had the issue and my favorite shooter wears a type 3 slide, doesn’t dent brass. 

I'd bet you're right more than one thing, my 2 shooters have type 3 slides and make no dents. However I've replaced recoil springs with Wolf extra power springs and my loads are near maximum. 
David Milisock
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 5:56pm
All the IBM Type-4 slides I have seen/had/have, include the dwell mods.
Have also seen/had IBM Type-3 slides with the dwell mods and some double stamped like you see on Type-4's.

Thought I would share.

Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2020 at 1:37am
Thanks all, at least something is not broke and the dent will not be a problem reloading the shell.
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2020 at 7:24am
I would suggest you try a new recoil spring, worst case scenario you end up with a spare. I would suggest a new box of factory ammo to test but at today's prices that's twice the cost of the spring. 
David Milisock
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2020 at 8:46am
I never experienced such case denting like that on my two Inlands. I understand the carbine cycles and fires just fine. So, I would also, as mentioned above,  first replace the recoil spring and use one or two types of new ammo. If you still get those dents, I'd go with type V slide. I replaced a worn type 3 or 4 slide and gained a better ejection pattern. By better I mean less random placement and a tighter pile. It was a noticeable difference. If a fresh spring is not the culprit try a type V slide. Keep us posted regarding what you do.
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 3:40am
in Europe parts are much harder to get, but maybe brownells has some wolf springs for my 30M1, it cycles perfect so that isnt the problem, ejection is straigt to the side instead of to the side and back.

if the only problem is the dent I can live with that
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Liberium Liberium wrote:

in Europe parts are much harder to get, but maybe brownells has some wolf springs for my 30M1, it cycles perfect so that isnt the problem, ejection is straigt to the side instead of to the side and back.

The dent is not really a "problem" , sometimes it just happens between the interaction of the :
-ejector and spring
-extractor and spring
-slide and spring
-ammunition loading

Change any of those 6 components and the ejection pattern will likely change.
There are 4(corrected, thanks) different ejector nose shapes, springs can be weak or strong, the extractor or bolt face may
have wear causing it to hold the case longer or not as long against the ejector. Someone already mentioned the differences in ammo from mfg. to mfg.

Even the strength of the hammer spring may affect opening and slide speed!

So, unless you just want to experiment with the 8 or so variables, I'd just accept the small dent
and enjoy the carbine! Smile

Edited by 03manV - Jul 17 2020 at 10:39am
Don
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

There are 3 different ejector nose shapes

Don, actually there are 4 different nose shapes, here is a picture of the 4 shapes taken from the "bolt" link off of the main club page.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 10:40am
Thanks W5USMC,
post corrected. that's what happens when one "remembers" instead of checking. ;)
Don
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Liberium Liberium wrote:

Have you tried to look on French websites: They seems to break a lot of carbines for spares.
The recoil spring is something you will find new in France.
 Post Reply Post Reply