Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutaway Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutaway Carbine
    Posted: Feb 01 2020 at 10:28pm
I am interested in knowing some more details about the cutaway carbine picture at the top of the 
forum page.

Does anyone have more information, and or pictures of it?

Thanks
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2020 at 12:25am
The cutaway carbine pictured in the header was purchased in the early 90's. There is no number, that part of the receiver has been cutaway. The one in the Springfield Armory is the same. Another club member has one that came out of Inland's WWII display. It also has no number. The XA shown in War Baby page 265 was Bruce Dow's. It also had no number.

Here's a close up of the Larry's cutaway.

War Baby! also mentions that the Cody Firearms Museum collection has a pair of Winchester cutaway carbines. Both are cutaway on both sides. Page 265 shows the Winchester M2 cutaway and the Winchester M1 carbine with an I cut stock. Also see CCNL 302-4.

Inland's experimental X Series carbines, including XA's are covered on page 359.

More cutaway information:
CCNL 49-1, 197-1, 244-7, 267-6, 288-3, 378-9 (Color pictures of cutaway courtesy of Marcus Rust).

No claim is made one way or the other that the following carbines are legit. Like everything else carbine, cutaways are also faked (CCNL 378-12)

I've also see trainers used in Korea.

Edited by m1a1fan - Feb 02 2020 at 1:11am
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2020 at 12:36am
Great. Thank you for that info. Very neat.

So the one in the header has no number, but has a manufacturer marking
somewhere?  

I can see a roll mark on the barrel. I can't quite make it out, but would guess 
Inland Div.  So would think that the whole carbine is of Inland manufacture too?
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2020 at 1:22am
Page 265 in War Baby! shows a top view of an XA. Part of the Inland mark is visible as is the XA, but the number is missing having been removed. Not much in the way of details, but it appears the parts are Inland. One cutaway at Springfield Armory has no makers mark or S/N but the parts are believed to be of Inland manufacturer.

The cutaway captured by Marcus in CCNL 378 shows a cutaway with not just Inland parts, but early ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply