The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked bolt replacement issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

May depend on the brand, but Scotch tape is between .001 and .002 thick. Next time I have one torn-down, I may try it.

Well...just for giggles I did and it works. I used a dummy-round and it doesn't matter what the case length is.  I stripped the bolt and of course, made sure it would rotate and lock on the loaded round. I layered tape on the base in increments "one sheet at a time" until I reached the point at which the bolt would not rotate and lock under finger pressure. The same procedure one would use with a gauge. Head-space in the gun will be whatever the measurement is from the case-mouth to the base with the tape applied when the bolt will barely rotate and lock, less the case length you're using. It's not that difficult to layer the tape, just apply one small square piece at a time and dress the overhang with a razor-blade. It will not come off the base and it can be shaved off with the blade when you're done. We know that head-space testing is rather a gentle thing and finger-pressure is all that's applied. The tape is not going to be damaged or ripped-off under finger-pressure.

I have one very fresh carbine with a head-space of .002 using a case length of 1.29 and .007 using a case trimmed to 1.285. I have another well-fired example showing .009 using the 1.29 case and .014 using the 1.285 case. You can see that the condition of the gun may have a lot to do with how you want to trim your cases.

This was a lab experiment and I'm not selling tape.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by SWANEEDMB SWANEEDMB wrote:

How many carbines if anyone knows blew up due to a bad bolt? Sure, have heard a failure due to some ones reloading but never a bad bolt. Really have enjoyed this thread.

I have measured/compared a lot of bolts and have never found more than .001-.002 difference between any of them, flat or round in the places that matter. That is likely the allowable tolerance. I will say that I surely have not examined as many as a lot of members have here, but I am yet to find one that varied to any serious degree. I think most of the problems (ammo aside) with exploding carbines are receiver or chamber related. Receivers stretch with use and chambers wear for the same reason, use and maybe abuse. Notwithstanding cracked/broken bolts, or serious lug wear on contact surfaces, I doubt many bolts cause blow-ups.
Em-one-car-bean View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em-one-car-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2017 at 11:31am
Okay so update on the carbine:

-Cracked bolt previously replaced w/ GI NOS bolt
-Rebarreled last year with criterion barrel for free by Gander Mtn due to the barrel being "shot out"
-Recoil Spring just replaced with GI NOS spring even though it measured and looked fine
-All other springs checked visually and measured, they seem fine
-A few more small burrs filed down in the receiver, I took much care to not remove any extra metal
-Gun thoroughly cleaned and then lubed

Went to the range today, here are the results:

-30 round mag of Tula ammo, the first round had a light strike/FTF but after that all 29 left went bang
-15 round mag of Armscor ammo, first round had a light strike (and I really let the slide go as hard as I could) 1 stovepipe about halfway through and one FTE near the end of the mag
-15 round mag of Aguila, which previously did not work, first round had a light strike, one FTE about halfway through and on the last round the bolt got jammed pretty good and took about 2 minutes to unjam but was fine after that
-Getting somewhat nervous and not wanting to crack the bolt or damage anything I tried only one more 15 round mag of Tula ammo. All rounds went bang but there was one stovepipe.

I looked at some of the spent cases and I noticed that on the brass ones (Armscor and Aguila) there was a barely noticeable bulge about .5cm or 1/5th of an inch from the bottom. The case appeared to bulge out above this point, which is concerning to me. I will upload a few pictures of this.

The 30 round mag is a new Korean one and the other two are GI marked "IS" and "RO". Springs in the mags seem fine.

At this point I have no idea what the problem could be since the issues don't really seem to be consistent, I could just keep replacing random parts but I am trying to decide if I should just write off the receiver as junk and part out the rest of it or keep it as a spare.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2017 at 12:02pm
I must say (and I think just about everyone else will agree) stop feeding the gun the Tula. May have nothing at all do do with your problem, but could cause problems on it's own. I have not read-thru all the former posts, but did you ever make an attempt to measure the head-space? We know the gun was re-barreled, but maybe the cracked bolt was just close enough to allow a firmer firing-pin strike B4 it broke. If the head-space is long, some rounds may fire and some not. It gets down to the thousandth's of inches in difference between any particular case length. If the cases are "blown-back" against the bolt face, more of the case is left unsupported and could be the cause of the bulging you say you see and possibly could have had something to do with the first bolt cracking. I don't think you can determine much of anything until you know the head-space.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2017 at 12:07pm
I see in the OP you mention Tula. How many steel case rounds have you run through your carbine? DO NOT USE STEEL CASE AMMO IN GI M1 CARBINES.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 8:07am
Em...in my learning days, I had the exact same experience with a carbine, until I figured it out. The gun would sometimes misfire and deliver light strikes and when the very same round was loaded again, it may fire right off. I also cracked a bolt and eventually determined there was a small burr under the left-side receiver lug recess that I had not completely cleaned-up. ANY slight drag or interference at all will lead to incomplete bolt-rotation and result in light strikes as well as a cracked right bolt lug. When the slide slams against that right lug, something has to give and any interference in smooth bolt operation will cause it. I also discovered that with the bolt I was using, the head-space was very excessive. When the round ignites, the case starts to expand and grabs the chamber walls. This action in-and-of-itself tends to hold the case in place against the chamber and somewhat reduces the rearward "slam" of the rim against the bolt face. If head-space is severely loose, the bolt lugs take the brunt of the force as the case moves rearward. Since you are concerned with the way the cases have expanded, this could be caused by the case moving rearward and expanding into the larger chamber dimension toward the rear of the chamber. The chamber is tapered, being wider at the rear. If the round is allowed to move rearward due to loose head-space, the brass has to expand further to grab the chamber walls.

In my case, finding a bolt that properly head-spaced and making sure all the rubs at contact surfaces were clean and free of burr's solved my problem. The gun may not have been properly head-spaced when it was re-barrelled and you'll not know unless you precisely determine the head-space. Not just with go-no-go gauges, but with a case of known length using an accurate measuring tool. It's been explained here B4, but if you want to PM me, I can tell you how to determine what the exact head-space is. I think that is what you have to discover B4 you can begin to diagnose and correct the problem. It sounds to me like the gun was never properly head-spaced when it was re-barrelled?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em-one-car-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 2:08pm
Here is a link to some pictures of the cases

https://imgur.com/a/EZyVn
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em-one-car-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 2:11pm
Obviously I would prefer not to use steel cased ammo but it was more or less a test to see what ammo functions/fails since I am having trouble getting it to work in the first place. I haven't measured the headspace but if it is in fact excessive (based on the bulged brass) then I assume the next logical step would be to bring it to a gunsmith?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Em-one-car-bean Em-one-car-bean wrote:

Here is a link to some pictures of the cases

https://imgur.com/a/EZyVn

When you insert a round in the chamber...how far does the rim protrude and is the round loose in the chamber? This looks to me like the possibility of an over-reamed chamber...among other possibilities. I think it needs to go back to the guy that replaced the barrel....take the fired brass with you.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em-one-car-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 8:32pm
https://imgur.com/a/Zth8s

Here are some pics of a round seated. It sticks out about 1mm from the edge of the receiver, or about 5mm from the edge of the barrel. As for movement it seems relatively well seated but I could discern a small amount of "jiggle" if I put my finger on it and try to move it.

I absolutely would take it back but unfortunately that is not an option since Gander Mountain is going out of business. What are the options for fixing an over-reamed chamber?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2017 at 7:23am
We've considered long head-space, when the problem may be tight head-space. Maybe the barrel was changed and never finished-reamed? The pictures indicate to me that the round is not seating deep enough in the chamber. We can all keep guessing (including me), but the gun needs to go to a good Smith that can sort all this out. I would not continue to shoot it as-is.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2017 at 9:59am
Em one,
First things first. I remember something about how to check for a barrel that is not finish reamed. Think if the case is even with the skirt it is short chambered.

Looking at your front ring I have to assume this is the PMC (early Plainfield) you had previously posted about.
If that is the case it was discussed that there was a screw holding a barrel in at one point suggesting this carbine has long had issues.

Possible scenario, Someone had issues timing the barrel and they removed material from the receiver. this is something you may be able to see. It is possible that they removed material from barrel to get it to time. In both cases the barrel may have been too far into receiver to headspace.

It is possible that someone altered the lock lug recess to get the bolt to now close, or may have ground the bolt.

Problem here is you may now be trying to headspace with a new barrel with compromised receiver and or bolt dimensions. It may very well pass an inspection gauge for head space while not having actual correct headspace.

manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2017 at 8:25pm
From those photos showing "stick out" of the cartridge, plus the bulging, you have a short chambered barrel on this carbine. It was not reamed to proper/safe headspace. If your 5 mm measurement is accurate, stick out is more like 3 mm on a proper depth ream job, that's about .080" difference (sorry about mixing metric and imperial) which is near the dimension newly made barrels are short chambered too.

If it's a Plainfield, they did not put skirts on their original barrels, and this skirt should have been removed before installation.

Don't shoot any ammo through this anymore until a gunsmith, that knows M1 carbines, has worked on it. Ask if they have correct barrel clamp and receiver wrench, proper finishing reamer ( preferably a pull thru type), and GO NO/GO gauges. May be fixable.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2017 at 6:30am
Originally posted by manteo97 manteo97 wrote:

From those photos showing "stick out" of the cartridge, plus the bulging, you have a short chambered barrel on this carbine. It was not reamed to proper/safe headspace. If your 5 mm measurement is accurate, stick out is more like 3 mm on a proper depth ream job, that's about .080" difference (sorry about mixing metric and imperial) which is near the dimension newly made barrels are short chambered too.

If it's a Plainfield, they did not put skirts on their original barrels, and this skirt should have been removed before installation.

Don't shoot any ammo through this anymore until a gunsmith, that knows M1 carbines, has worked on it. Ask if they have correct barrel clamp and receiver wrench, proper finishing reamer ( preferably a pull thru type), and GO NO/GO gauges. May be fixable.

For what it's worth coming from me.....this gentleman knows what he's talking about. It could be that OP could get lucky and a properly reamed chamber could fix this gun? Tight head-space may allow the bolt to close and rotate...barely on brass that is short enough and not fully close on slightly longer brass and this condition will surely crack a bolt at best or blow-up a carbine at worst.

Good Luck!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Em-one-car-bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2017 at 10:02am
I am 100% done shooting it until it gets fixed, I never noticed the bulged cases before this last shoot (maybe they were not as bad with the other bolt) but that is a major red flag. I have an appointment with a local gunsmith, hopefully it is something he can fix. It upsets me that after having my gun for around 5 months and replacing the barrel that Gander Mountain returned it in its present condition, if they were doing things like that a lot its not a surprise they are going out of business.

It is not a plainfield barrel it is a new criterion barrel, do you think that the skirt could be removed or ground off and the barrel reamed correctly? I guess plainfield receivers were constructed differently than GI ones and barrels do not fit properly with the skirt?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2017 at 10:27am
I'd say that if he can fix the gun without barrel removal, let the skirt alone. I wouldn't  pull the barrel just to remove the skirt.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2017 at 11:10am
My thoughts, the current headspace would need to be established and then proper depth of reaming needs to be calculated.
Assuming it closes on a no go gauge. And then calculating the difference of a field gauge how much differance is there?
Using Manteos estimate of .080 you may be beyond.
1.290 - 1.302 is a .012 differance.

You have a new barrel, i would not cut skirt affecting its value.

If it were mine i would consider a few options.

Pick up a USGI receiver and do a build.

Or sell off all the parts and put the money to a another carbine.
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2017 at 9:03pm
Just had a few more thoughts:

em-one, if you have a vernier caliper, and have some unfired rounds from the same lot as those bulged fired brass, check the length of the fired brass vs. the unfired brass. See if there's any difference.

Also, I had a look at my 30 carbine chamber reamers, and the rougher has no cutting edge for the throat, unlike my finishing reamer. If I was in the barrel making business, I'd make short chambered ones, using only the finishing reamer.

So, this could mean that your short chambered barrel has not had the proper throat machined out so the bullet can't seat correctly before firing.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2017 at 8:57am
Has a carbine once with a short chambered barrel. Watched a gunsmith finish ream it in person. Was fascinating to witness. Firing it for the first time required some rope, a bench to tie it to and a volunteer. Fortunately it worked.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by manteo97 manteo97 wrote:

Just had a few more thoughts:

em-one, if you have a vernier caliper, and have some unfired rounds from the same lot as those bulged fired brass, check the length of the fired brass vs. the unfired brass. See if there's any difference.

Also, I had a look at my 30 carbine chamber reamers, and the rougher has no cutting edge for the throat, unlike my finishing reamer. If I was in the barrel making business, I'd make short chambered ones, using only the finishing reamer.

So, this could mean that your short chambered barrel has not had the proper throat machined out so the bullet can't seat correctly before firing.

what about pulling a bullet and using a case to compare how far out case sits?
Will this will narrow down throat possibility while establishing a headspace issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12