Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Commercial folding stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commercial folding stock
    Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 12:16pm
Hello,

I found a month ago this uncommon commercial folding stock (uncommon at least for us, europeans). It has been identified (by Feder 504, a french collector) as:

National Ordnance Inc. , who sold M1 under his name but as well under other names as Alpine, Rowan-Becker and Santa-Fe). This stock could be sold alone as accessory as well.
It was conceived by Jack Karnes, and made by Wayne Wood Carving, from Los Angeles. It is from 1962.

It looks as if a MP40 and a M1 Carbine, have had a baby Big smile

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 1:59pm
My 1st M1 Carbine had one of those on it (USGI Rockola my uncle brought back from Korea somehow). He put it on during the riots in the 1960's to use as a "truck gun".

I sort of liked it, it was fairly sturdy IIRR if a bit awkward on the cheek weld. I'd love to find 1 in good shape at a decent price but their rare here and priced as such. I do think it was a better design than the USGI paratrooper stock.  

That a National or USGI carbine?
French addict View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote French addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 4:53pm
The carbine is one of my USGI Inlands that I mounted with this stock for the pic.

The metal handguard comes from my Choate polymer folding stock.

I was very lucky to find this stock (1st one I see in years) at a very decent price (the seller did not know what it was.... he thought it was "handmade").
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 5:45pm
These were made by Cadmus. A good friend of mine just acquired one with the Underwood barrel and receiver. He will be signing in soon I hope to become a member as well. So to DonFlynn, if you are interested in a trade for a USGI stock and handguard please let me know by PM. 
It is in very good shape and all functions perfect. Arthritis in the hands makes it difficult for the release function is the only reason for him to trade. It has the Highwood lower with a nice matching IO handguard 2 rivet. I can provide pics and info as well. If interested, let me know. I'm just being the middle man for now. Made in the 1962 era and hard to find I agree. The MP-40 German thinking was indeed more secure and comfortable. Sold for $24.95 back in the day, believe it or not. I can send that flyer as well. 

Lightning 330
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 6:10pm

Edited by Dan Pinto - Jan 31 2023 at 8:09pm
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

These were made by Cadmus. A good friend of mine just acquired one with the Underwood barrel and receiver. He will be signing in soon I hope to become a member as well. So to DonFlynn, if you are interested in a trade for a USGI stock and handguard please let me know by PM. 
It is in very good shape and all functions perfect. Arthritis in the hands makes it difficult for the release function is the only reason for him to trade. It has the Highwood lower with a nice matching IO handguard 2 rivet. I can provide pics and info as well. If interested, let me know. I'm just being the middle man for now. Made in the 1962 era and hard to find I agree. The MP-40 German thinking was indeed more secure and comfortable. Sold for $24.95 back in the day, believe it or not. I can send that flyer as well. 

I sent you a PM. Unfortunately I don't have a USGI stock outside of the one on my Postal Meter and it's a "Bavarian" with the serial number etched into the stock and handguard.  
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by French addict French addict wrote:

The carbine is one of my USGI Inlands that I mounted with this stock for the pic.

The metal handguard comes from my Choate polymer folding stock.

I was very lucky to find this stock (1st one I see in years) at a very decent price (the seller did not know what it was.... he thought it was "handmade").

Cool. I use my Choate folding stock on my Fulton Armory like this

I'd love to try that MP40 style stock on that rig but the last one I saw they wanted $300 bucks for just the stock and it was pretty beat up.
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2023 at 7:56pm
Awesome send New2brass, you stole my thunder. Smile
Not really, but I was saving it for later eh' 
They are history and actually very well made. I don't care for the router edge on the grip for looks but the longer grip compared to the M1A1 makes up a huge difference for comfort, plus the shouldering as well. They are indeed a special commercial breed designed after the famous MP-40 German. 
Floyd, I got your pm and will reply tomorrow. Thanks again to all.
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply