Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chiappa M1-22 - Cadmus folder swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chiappa M1-22 - Cadmus folder swap
    Posted: Feb 28 2023 at 7:31pm
This is all just for fun and I had to give it a spin. I purchased the Chiappa M1-22 for it's lookalike and was indeed impressed. Ran 60 rounds with no problems and picked my next goal. Good friend of mine scored an awesome Underwood install with a Cadmus stock. With some horse trading, I got the folder. 
The trigger housing to wood fit was a great fit with no mods except for small trimming inside for the tail of the receiver and trigger housing. The Cadmus stock is a high wood. The M1-22 is for a low wood due to clearance on the slide. It took some work, but I got there and saved the look. Thin - but I expect no battle damage in the future. The front sight butterflies were oversize and needed some cosmetic work. No holes, no pin due to the set screw for mounting. Yet replacement was not possible due to the smaller diameter. So I trimmed it the best I could. Drilled the side holes, installed fake pins and staked them. Bubba cosmetics is what I call it. 
I'm not done yet, but wanted to share. The folder will have the metal band minus the lug with careful surgery and work for cosmetics. I plan on installing a repro flip sight as well. The dovetail and rear sight are too far back for my liking. My whole plan on this swap is to do it without changing anything on the original purchase. Having the best of two functions and still able to swap them out. All mods and fitting for the rear sight will be done to the sight only. I HOPE it corrects the look a little? The overhang will go away to a degree and cosmetically move the rear sight forward. 
Why? For grins first off. 2nd is because the Cadmus is awesome but it has a wood screw to secure the recoil plate. My thinking was just to lower the recoil and still make it fun for all. 
Many thanks to all once again that chime in. NM Rocks.....    
Lightning 330
Dan Pinto View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2023 at 11:30pm
looking good!
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2023 at 4:28pm
Many thanks Dan. The repro leaf rear sight is coming from Northridge. No stamps, nothing special, which should work out well for this application. $24.95 and file away on the sight only. The late band and lug is a J.M.Q. minus the lug now and actually looks really good. Since the barrel is a smaller diameter the lug had no purpose anyway for fit, but the split barrel ring allowed me to roll pinch it and the two ends just touch now allowing for a really nice fit to the barrel. Luck of the draw on that one. It should be a fun and attractive M1 clone 22 that adults and youngsters can enjoy. Plus is can be put back easy enough to it's original birth. I just enjoy tinkering and love the M1 carbine. Two Inlands, one QHMC and now this one if it qualifies? Approve When I get it where I want it. I will follow with more pics. 
Lightning 330
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2023 at 4:48pm
Boys will be boys and I like to play too. My thing is caliber conversions without destroying or seriously modifying a single USGI component. Enjoy your little 22. 
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2023 at 7:50pm
Thanks Floyd. The 22 will be fun I'm sure. I have been watching your posts and I did share some PM with you. I like and enjoy what you do with the 9mm conversion. I'm just not in that groove of challenge or desire right now. My talents of tinker only go so far. I have a lot to learn as well. Chiappa offered it in 9mm as well. I know it falls in a different zone than what you do, but I had the Cadmus to play with and the wood screw for the recoil plate. The weak link in my thinking was all. I saw a few for sale that were cracked or broken in that support area with the 30 cal. carbine. So the M1-22 swap was my pick of play. 
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply