Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cast lead bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennyntx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast lead bullets
    Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 8:37am
Does anyone here cast for the 30 carbine if so what mold do you use I have a Lee C309-120-R but it seats right in one of the lube grooves so trying to find a good gas checked mold. Figured I would ask before I buy any more mold's thanks.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 12:29pm
I do cast for the carbine. My mold is a NOE mold four cavity brass with gas checks.
Dennyntx View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennyntx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 3:15pm
Ok thanks I will go check them out
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 12:16pm
I have a brand new, never used, Lyman 311576, 2 cavity, with handles. I have NO idea what it's worth...
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 7:17pm
I cast the Lyman 130 gr. plain base for my carbines. The bullet works well and is accurate. No problem with leading and it cycles the action well.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Dennyntx Dennyntx wrote:

Does anyone here cast for the 30 carbine if so what mold do you use I have a Lee C309-120-R but it seats right in one of the lube grooves so trying to find a good gas checked mold. Figured I would ask before I buy any more mold's thanks.

I shoot cast almost exclusively out of my carbines. Right now, the mold I use the most is the RCBS 30-115-SP. It cast a gas checked style bullet whose profile is all but identical to the standard 110gr. FMJ bullet. Mine, cast of wheelweights weighs about 116 gr.

I use the same load data as I do for the jacketed bullet and it shoots just about the same POI as the .30 carbine military load, and accuracy is just about the same as well.

I also cast from the Lee C309-113-F, but it doesn't feed quite as well, and the iron RCBS mold will outlast it. But bullets from the Lee mold shoot fairly well, although the POI is different from the ball load.

NOE makes a mold for a .30 Carbine bullet, but I personally prefer iron molds.

Dennyntx View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennyntx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 9:03pm
Thanks for the info. I like the rcbs bullet you have really nice I am going to look fo one right now thanks
Dennyntx View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennyntx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 9:27pm
So are you wanting to sale the mold if so what is the least you will take thanks
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2020 at 7:58am
Brand new, never used Lyman 311576 2 cavity mold, with handles, for sale free Shipping...$65
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2020 at 8:12am
[QUOTE=345 desoto]Brand new, never used Lyman 311576 2 cavity mold, with handles, for sale free Shipping...$65[/QUOTE

Do you still have this mold for sale? I'd be a buyer.

Post Reply Post Reply