The Carbine Collectors Club
Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbines in the Movies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbines in the Movies
    Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 12:57pm
Some time ago, many of us saw a bolt-action carbine for sale on Gunpoker. It was pretty-much a standard issue GI carbine with a bolt handle welded onto the right bolt lug. I was watching an old movie today titled "Sniper". Not the recent one, but one made in 1952. Of all things, the sniper was using a modified bolt-action 30-cal. carbine with a take-down barrel. It was not just my poor eyesight and imagination. I saw him handle it at least twice and the cops had recovered a casing confirming he was using a 30-caliber carbine.

Just a curiosity on my part I suppose.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 1:34pm
It looks like an M1A1 without the hand guard and with 4X Weaver on a tall side mount. It looks similar to the mount that Universal came up with maybe ten years later, except much taller.

Here's a trailer from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HdimrnCHc

Here's a couple of stills from the movie.

JackP
floydthecat View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 2:50pm
Well Jack...now I know it was not my imagination.
New2brass View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Dan Pinto, Moderator +, Photo Editor+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 3:05pm
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:M1c.jpg

Above is the Internet Movie Firearms Data Base site. It is advertisement intensive with sometimes ads that might not be family friendly......

But it has a pretty good list of all firearms and what movie it is in.

Was the bolt action observed with a curved handle? Pic above look to be regular slide
floydthecat View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the heads-up on that site Dan. You know, he was on a roof top in the dark and maybe I assumed it was a bolt-gun. I mainly noticed it seemed he chambered a carbine round by hand. It promped me to look closer to notice the barrel-band. I don’t recall if he twisted the barrel or it snapped-in. I’m pretty sure he did not screw it in.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2018 at 6:58pm
He probably had to hand load those special, high powered, long range carbine sniper rounds.
JackP
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 6:31am
That was entertaining.  Thanks!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:25pm
Another photo from MASH

Klinger with M!

Edited by New2brass - 22 hours 9 minutes ago at 4:17pm
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Dan Pinto, Moderator +, Photo Editor+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 10 minutes ago at 4:16pm
That guy must be section 8. That scarf clashed with the ammo pouches.

In similar news, Malibu Creek State Park, where M*A*S*H* was filmed was badly damaged by the recent wildfires in California. 

Post Reply Post Reply