Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 3:08pm
i spoke to rti
So ill have to pay 20% restock to return the rifle
Since the rest of the rifle is in excellent shape
Im thinking i might keep it as a shooter as the barrel is in excellent shape other than what i listed
Its a rockola type 3 with an inland tigger group and inland stock.

Im going to buy the CMP rifle as well
But i have some questions

So on the CMP rifle it has Flip sites and its an underwood
Its in excellent shape/near mint looking shape (from what i can tell, but im not an expert).  and it comes in some sort of aluminum bag that the SGT told me came with the rifle from CMP which he said came from the military and the aluminum lined bag was dated 1953

My question is, did cmp sell early style carbines with flip sights?
He wants 1750 for the rifle.
The sgt had 3 rifles and 1 of his rifles  clearly had a flip site that looked like added as it was in rough shape.

He is about 1 hr away from my house.  He said the underwood was a T marked receiver.  I asked him to send pictures so i could post on here and get some thoughts if it was original or 'put together'.
Thank you all for your help

Here is what the Sgt told me via email.  I saw the rifle at the local gun show but i wasnt sure at the time i wanted to get it.

Chad:
Yes it was an Underwood with a 7-43 barrel and a T coded receiver. It would come with 1 15 round magazine and a 50 round box of Lake City military ammo.  The price is $1750 and includes the original white cloth bag it came in from the CMP.
If any other questions let me know.
Have a Great and safe Christmas.

Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 3:46pm
The Underwood with a T Code receiver is somewhat rare.  About 43,000 were produced and the receiver came from Intertype.
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 4:30pm
Sounds like you might have a "white bag" carbine. They are usually military refurbs in very good condition and as such normally command a premium price. Many of them have complete updates, but some do not. The price he is asking is a fair price for a "white bag". I wouldn't hesitate buying it.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 4:37pm
thanks
I am meeting him to buy it after the new year

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 3:43pm
hey all
I wanted to ask, for the white bag carbine Underwood
It has the type 1 flip sight, 
But it has the oval cut for the oiler
It doesnt have the I cut wood stock.
I just was curious if he may have switched the sight and other parts.
Maybe not but before i spent that much money i wanted ask what can i check to make sure its not put together.
It looks excellent but its a private party sell.
I have a carbine book, but i trust years of experience of the members on here over a book any day.
When i originally looked at it, he told me it was a special carbine.  He is a retired usmc gunnery sgt

Could i get some thoughts?

Thank you all

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 3:56pm
Having a flip sight does not equate to always having an I cut stock. Serial range would give an idea as to what type of stock would be expected. 
Since he is a retired Marine Gunny you should be able to trust him, GySgt's never lie, at least until they get caught! Wink
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 5:58pm
Very possible a Underwood in that range would have a Flip sight with a leaf marked .U.
Is it a replaced rear sight ? Look for the Staking marks used on many of the Rear Adj sights.
I hope it's a good carbine for you.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:12pm
A “T” subcontracted receiver from Intertype for UEF would probably range in the serial numbers 235XXXX to 240XXXX.  I’ve seen barrel dates on UEF-T from Jan 1943 to Jan 1944, but barrel dates are not necessarily a positive indicator of when the carbine was built, as build dates with UEF can be very strange, especially in the 2nd and 3rd blocks.  I think it is most likely that a UEF-T carbine would have a Type II stock, meaning a high wood and oval cut.
Chad
USN Retired
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:18pm
low wood oval cut very possible also as Underwood tested it from memory
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:20pm
I been collecting carbines since 1973--for me a original Underwood T in 90% plus condition is the one thing I am missing-most white bags are primo guns
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:27pm
Oh...went back and realized you posted that the barrel date is 7-43, so yep...I would think a T-2 stock. If it did have a later barrel date, like 12-43 or 1-44, then very well could have a low wood T-3 stock. I have a UEF-B (made by Singer) that is a 2667XXX with a 1-44 barrel date and you can tell that it started life as a T-2 HW stock and the HW either broke or was cut down.  Is is all original and never rearsenaled.
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:28pm
i do remember it had high wood
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:30pm
Yes, sounds like a nice gun.  I’d take that over the RTI with suspect chamber any day.
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:39pm
Yes, I need to add a nice UEF-T.  It’s on the hunt list.
Chad
USN Retired
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:49pm
most of white bags did not necessarily have the orig stock-very few had bayonet lug bands but stocks they had were a lot of times drippy mint as older collector by name of Larry Reynolds (Large Marge) coined the phrase as drippy mint meant so new you could not look at with out drooling all over it so is how drippy mint came about
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 6:56pm
What timeframe were the “white bag” carbines?
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 7:01pm
That white bag with the carbine is CMP history and value in and of itself. Or was it called DCM back then?
Chad
USN Retired
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 9:33pm
Nope. It was changed from DCM long before that.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2020 at 9:50pm
its all set 
I spoke to him tonight
Im meeting him saturday morning to buy it
Once i pick it up i will post photos to get some opinions of it

Thanks to all

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 7:02pm
hey
I know im beating a dead horse 
But im going to meet him tomorrow
So i need to make sure the serial number 235xxxx to 240xxxx
And make sure there are stake marks on the flip sight
Are there any other recommended checks i need to do besides checking the bore?
Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>