Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine help
    Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 6:50pm
Hi
Im new to the forum but im looking forward to learning alot about carbines.
My dad was a vietnam war vet and he always wanted to buy a cmp carbine but he never got the chance.  He passed 3 years ago.  My grandfather (my fathers dad) carried a carbine during ww2.  He was a combat engineer in the ETO from Nov 1944 through the end of the war.
I finally bought a carbine 3 weeks ago (thinking gun laws will change since biden is taking office) from royal tiger imports.  It was their excellent shape model.
But i wanted to get someone to take a look at the photos, especially the barrel throat.  It appears there is damage.  I can still return it.  I found a cmp at the gun show here in greenville today i can buy 1st week in Jan.
Im trying to get thoughts on this
The barrel is nice and shiny bright with no issues that i can tell
Its a type III, rockola, with inland trigger group.  The barrell and receiver are rockola.  The stock and trigger housing are inland.
I really appreciate any help

Also i got a decent 1917 us army .45 today at the show 

Rockola3

Screenshot-20201220-005704

Rockola1
20201220-005607

bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 8:44pm
Is it the ring of discoloration you're worried about, or does it look like there is actually metal that has been dented? Hard to tell from those photos. You can always have a gunsmith cast the chamber with cerrosafe so that you can get dimensions, and any gouges in the metal would show up in the cast.
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 9:09pm
Hi
Thanks for replying
Can you look at the 3rd photo 
I have a small allen wrench pointed at what looked to be a 'dent'
See if you can look at the 3rd photo
Its right where the round loads into the barrell
It chambers a round fine with no issues
I just havent fired the weapon yet
I really appreciate any help
Thanks again
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 11:27pm
I think that unless the deformation extends deeper into the chamber than the web of the case, it should be safe to fire. That being said, "safe to fire" and "excellent condition" are definitely different in my opinion.

Definitely would get the chamber cast if you plan on keeping and firing it just to make sure.

Hopefully a few more folks will chime in as I am fairly new to in-depth carbines, but have an extensive background in firearms in general.

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 12:00am
I don't like the looks of the picture- but can't tell exactly what's up or down.

I'd return it for a refund if possible and buy the local one.
Don
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 7:31am
Here is a better picture
If you look on the right side of the throat there is a Dent 
I can upload a better closeup if necessary
I emailed royal tiger about returning the rifle this morning, but ive heard their returns cost 20% restock and im worried they wont give me my money back......
Let me know what you all think, i need some expertise
Thanks
Screenshot-20201221-073528

20201221-072604
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 8:02am
I'd like to see a better close up. You might also try shining a light in from the muzzle to illuminate the chamber. This type of picture can take some playing around with to get a good one.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 9:06am
If you did not send them your pictures you should.
Might be fine or cause a problem- you won't know till you shoot it, and "usually"
if you shoot something it is "yours" and you lose any chance to return.
Don
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 10:36am
Good morning and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I'll go out on a limb and say your carbine is probably okay. If you can chamber a round without it jamming, the deformity looks to be small enough not to be a problem. When you finally get the chance to shoot it, check the fired cases for deformation. I bet they will be okay. I think the dent is small enough and close enough to the neck of the cartridge that it may not be a problem.

JackP
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 10:51am

Here are some more photos

20201221-103445

And heres one of the barrel bore

Screenshot-20201221-103925
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 11:00am
i sent them photos and asked to return it but ive heard rti returns are horrible
And they charge 20% restock

I asked them to waive it, we will see

I bought it as excellent unissued

Fyi 3rd photo below is the m1917 smith .45 i got this weekend for $475
Decent shape with a original lanyard

20201221-105418

20201221-105439

20201221-105509
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 11:20am
I am in agreement with others here, probably shoot just fine. Just knowing the ding is there and wondering how it happened is a constant aggravation. I had a cracked long-skirt once and it bugged me to no end until I pulled the barrel and trimmed it off. Never bothered it, just the first thing you saw when you racked the slide.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 11:29am
After seeing the last chamber picture, I tend to agree with JackP, it will most likely be fine. It looks like the chamber has a build up of something in it, maybe from lacquered ammo, are you sure that dent is actually in the metal or is it just part of that build up. Scrub that chamber. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 1:13pm
hey i checked, its definitely in the metal

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 4:58pm
Still, if it doesn't extend beyond the chamber mouth, it shouldn't cause any problem. (Note that is the chamber mouth, not the throat which is at the barrel end of the chamber.)
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 5:32pm
ahhh
Thank you for the info
It is just at the chamber mouth
I really appreciate it

Im going to buy another 1943 underwood in the next couple of weeks
Im done with rti
I dont like dealing with them

Thanks again!!!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by 1258combatengineer 1258combatengineer wrote:

Im done with rti I dont like dealing with them Thanks again!!!

So are they taking it back?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 11:52pm
Really hard to tell from those pictures.

So what caused it ?

Could it be from a broken off right bolt lug? 
Or maybe more likely a Extractor tossed the spring and Plunger..
Then when the Bolt was heading home with a Extractor wide open, left that impression.
To me when looking at the Dented area it appears like the shape of the Frt side of an Extractor.

I'm not sure, but do know for that kinda $$ and being a Import, I'm not impressed with the condition of the Chamber.
Like Wayne said, Brush and scrub that Chamber.
I'd also be curious what the Chamber measures out at.
And would also Inspect the left locking shoulder on the receiver.
Add: Check the head space.

If these look OK, try shooting it. If you find a chipped left locking shoulder, I'd take the 20% restock fee and get rid of it.

I hope it works out for you, just be safe.

@1258: Appreciate your Father and Grandfathers service

Oh and Welcome,
Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2020 at 6:48pm
After seeing the 'Dent' on the right side of the chamber.
I found the picture I was thinking of with a destroyed Extractor.

Do you think this:

Was caused by something like this in its past ?

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2020 at 2:24pm
IMO the damaged area is probably fine, but nonetheless not the quality that was advertised by RTI.  I'm not an RTI fan at all; in fact, I'm not a big fan of any carbines with import markings.

Since you mentioned that A) RTI may entertain a return, and B) That you have a line on a CMP rifle, my personal preference would be to go with the CMP rifle.  You get the Certificate of authenticity from CMP to go with the gun.  That's just my personal preference.

Good luck!
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>