The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Goose Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Goose Gun
    Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 9:58am
I call this a goose gun because the muzzle points skyward. It was shooting about 5-6 inches high at 20 yards with the elevation bottomed-out on the rear sight. That would correlate to feet-high at 100 yards. I switched to the tallest front post I could find (.340) and pulled it down to about 3-inches high. Finally decided I needed to figure out what was wrong with it.

It's a smooth bend and I think I can take it out.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 11:32am
Good luck with that.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Good luck with that.

Think I can get close enough to do what this barrel was intended to do. Coffee cans at 20-yards, or an uninvited guest roaming around the property. It shot nice groups like it is, just off into outer space.
68coupe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 4:08pm
Centerline body shots=head shot
Karl, 68 coupe
NPM, 43
Universal, 80
Kahr 1827-A1 Thompson 2019
SA M1 Garand 42
AO 1911A1
Taurus PT1911
Beretta M92(compact)
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 4:53pm
I can actually flip pine-cones and pop-cans with it as is....just have to know how to aim it. Maybe that could be a good thing if someone else tried to shoot me with it. Might give me time to run before they figured out where to point it.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 6:20pm
That's what the old timers called Kentucky windage
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 9:36pm
My Iver had the same problem, only it shot feet to the right at 100 yds. So...clamp the receiver in a vise, slide a piece of square tubing over the barrel and start tweaking-

It took some trial and error, but fortunately my range is a couple hundred feet from my shop. Bend, shoot, repeat, until it was on!

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 4:55am
Interesting examples of bent barrels and solutions for correcting them. I'm scratching my head as to how they got bent. There must be some fascinating stories out there. I have heard accounts of some early Blue Sky import stamps warping barrels, but the two appearing above suggest other causes.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Interesting examples of bent barrels and solutions for correcting them. I'm scratching my head as to how they got bent. There must be some fascinating stories out there. I have heard accounts of some early Blue Sky import stamps warping barrels, but the two appearing above suggest other causes.

I don't think mine was a bent barrel. It appears that the receiver was either mis-cast or mis-threaded, probably the former. Regardless, I'm glad there are solutions for things like this.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 9:40am
The example is an Inland Brown-Lipe-Chapman type II. It’s not worth sending it to be straightened. I should be able to tweak it back so it will zero within the parameters of the sights. Darn thing shoots groups as good as I can, just up in the treetops.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 10:58pm
I'd clamp the barrel breech in the vise, not the receiver- but whatever floats your boat- or works! Wink

Don
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 10:17am
I have called guys out to produce a crushed barrel by Blue Sky, none have materialized.
I think the story stems from when Blue Sky was stamping there name on the M1 rifle gas cylinder. Clearly much thinner than a barrel.

This is not to say there were not issues with bent barrels. One prime contractor had a high rejection rate of barrels through the government free-issue barrel program. A team from Springfield Armory was dispatched and by eye and the aid of a mallet whacked the barrels back into straightness.

I suspect if a carbine was stored with the tip of the barrel against something and other things applied pressure that over time the barrel may bend. Same scenario and sudden force against the carbine might also have bent the barrel.

Floyd, no access to a press where you can support the barrel in two locations and apply just enough force where needed?

*EDIT to ADD*
It was QHMC having bent RO barrels. The gunsmiths used lead hammers. Ordnance had set up barrel straightening devices at RO, however the gunsmiths did this by eye to thousands of barrels with amazing success.  WB 125
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 10:52am
An old-timers solution is to whip it over a log. I’ve seen that on a youtube video. I think I can figure something out. It does not have to be perfect. The fact that it is a seemingly uniform bend the full length might complicate things. A defined hump, or bow in the center might be easier to remove. We shall see.
Bart1015 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 11:00am
I had a barrel like that.  

I always figured mine was stepped on by someone who stacked them on a pallet for surplus.  Just a guess.

I used my press and soft wood blocks at all contact points.  I spent a lot of time on it, and now it shoots just fine.  

I also, after I straightened it, I shot the gun until the barrel got hot to see if it would bend its self back. It did not. 

Brett
Always looking for more carbines.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 11:27am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I have called guys out to produce a crushed barrel by Blue Sky, none have materialized. 

Also very skeptical about the thought about Blue Sky crushing barrels however, page 95 of Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual pictures a Blue Sky where the barrel's bore is supposedly dimpled under the stamping.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

An old-timers solution is to whip it over a log. I’ve seen that on a youtube video. I think I can figure something out. It does not have to be perfect. The fact that it is a seemingly uniform bend the full length might complicate things. A defined hump, or bow in the center might be easier to remove. We shall see.

I used this very method on an 1897 Winchester whose barrel looked like it been run over by a tractor. I whupped it over the rear tire of my tractor. Whup, reassemble, pattern, repeat. It worked, but I doubt seriously it would work on something as short and thick as a Carbine barrel.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 11:59am
I did have a barrel that was "crushed" by Blue Sky. It wasn't dimpled. It was simply made oval by the pressure from the VERY deep stamping. You could clearly see it when looking down the barrel. That was years ago and the barrel has long since gone to the scrap yard as steel to be recycled. If I had known you were looking, I'd have saved it for you! BTW, I straightened a barrel using the open back of the basement stairs! Put the muzzle end behind the lower step and pushed on the receiver end enough to bend the barrel a little bit then checked with a straight edge. When it was straight enough I took it to the range for testing. I got it close enough that I could make a minor adjustment to the front sight to get it dead on at 100. Lots of ways to bend a barrel back. Those small barrels are not hard to bend.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 2:00pm
In boot camp doing field training, when we would theoretically come under fire, we were taught to fall to  the ground holding our weapon, right hand on the small of the stock and left hand on the hand guard. This could have potently bent the barrel up.
Think about that.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Also very skeptical about the thought about Blue Sky crushing barrels however, page 95 of Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual pictures a Blue Sky where the barrel's bore is supposedly dimpled under the stamping.

Excellent, So there is something to it.

@Smoke, I usually get the "I know a guy that...." So I believe you are the first hand stating it.
I do wish you kept it, I would love to see a BS that you can visibly see the crush.

Now to pick up some bismuth and do some checking.

On the note of barrel gauges that you slide through. Has anyone had experience or see these? It would seem that is would be checking the lands, which can vary in size as the barrel wears. Are there different sizes or is it just measuring barrel deflection over a certain length?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 2:20pm
Here is the "after". Maybe not perfect yet, but I am confident that POI will be in a different place than before. I have special highly-scientific tools I use for this task. My farm-trailer frame and a long-handled pipe bender.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>