Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bullet penetration myth busted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 8:36pm
The subject of .30 Carbine bullets not penetrating layers of North Korean clothing during the Korean War came up among several of my gun collector friends this week. I have always thought that the assertion was plausible, and I've heard it many times through the years. Someone who I respect greatly, a decorated Vietnam veteran, and whose father served in Korea, indicated that his father related personal experience with non-penetration of M1 Carbine rounds on NK soldiers due to thick layers of clothing during his combat experience there. Based on how many times I've heard this assertion elsewhere, and my friend's remarks, I think this "myth" should be considered "plausible."

When I first saw the post here, I thought, "Wow!," that's pretty compelling evidence. I believe the OP had second thoughts, though, when they posted the .30 Carbine ballistics table.

I think the penetration test, which was conducted at point blank range, was conducted under extremely favorable conditions that did not closely simulate the conditions under which the defect was likely to occur. I want to thank the OP for their test results, as it was an effort than I've not seen made previously. Maybe there's been another study of this sort, but I'm not aware of it.

Some of the factors that should be considered:

- Likely range of >100 yards
- Extreme temperatures of around -30 degrees
- Ammunition storage temperature
- Ice, frozen sweat, and dirt in the clothing
- Multiple wool clothing layers
- Along with the range of the enemy, perhaps the comparison of the .30 Carbine round to the expected performance of a .30-06 round affected the engagement and result
- The .30 Carbine round is basically a magnum pistol cartridge, and was fielded in a rifle in unfavorable conditions to its original intent as a personal defense weapon, taking the place of a pistol

I think a test performed in an environment like Montana in early February, at 150 to 200 yards, with fabric that includes some wet, frozen wool layers would be an appropriate test upon which to base further assumptions. I'm unlikely to be able to perform such a test, but maybe someone who sees this might attempt it.

I realize this subject has been dormant for some months, but my recent discussion made me want to revisit the test results posted here.

Just my $.02...with some input from my friends...

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 11:51pm
I'll add a penny.

Instead of comparing the penetration of a .30 carbine to that of main battle rifles I think it more historically accurate to compare it to that of a 1911 with ball ammo. Which is more related to the intent and design with which the .30 caliber carbines were made. Carbines were designed and intended for close quarters combat as an alternative to the 1911 for those who, for a variety of reasons, didn't carry a main battle rifle.

I have the report on the carbine freezing up at low temperatures in Korea. Odd how that part of the report seems to get extracted from the context of the entire report. Every gun was freezing up with one exception. The BAR.

One thing I haven't heard is why the carbines were issued in lieu of a main battle rifle during the war in Korea. Or maybe they weren't.

Jim
firstflabn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2017 at 10:58am

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:29pm
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2017 at 10:40pm
I went looking for more information about penetration of the .30 Carbine cartridge against North Korean forces during the Korean War, and found information to support both sides of the debate. I think members here may find the reports interesting.

In "U.S. Infantry Weapons in Combat - Personal Experiences From World War II and Korea," by Mark G. Goodwin, published by Scott A. Duff Publications in 2005, I found the following...

An account by Jack Walentine, who served in the 25th Infantry Division in Korea, indicates penetration was not an issue. Here is a quote from page 90. "You hear stories about the Chinese being shot with carbines in their winter clothing and they just brushed it off. I have shot Chinese in all their winter gear with an M2 carbine, and those rounds had gone completely through them, in the front, and out the back. I know because I had to search them for maps and documentation after I shot them. At 100 to 150 yards that sucker was bad news."

On page 153, Win Scott, who served in the 1st Marine Division in Korea voiced his disdain for the carbine. He said, "The carbine wasn't good in cold weather; we didn't like it, I wouldn't give you 10 cents for the carbine. I did not have any confidence in that weapon. First of all, if you could get it to fire you couldn't stop anybody with it. We had a lot of close combat and a carbine hit didn't seem to faze them much unless you hit them in a vital spot. The M1 (Garand) would knock them flat."

I also consulted "Battlefield Analysis of Infantry Weapons (Korean War)," by S.L.A. Marshall, published by Desert Publications in 1984. The book, which is a compilation of many after incident battlefield accounts of various weapons, was extremely critical of the carbine. On page 51, it relates an account by 1st Lt. Joseph R. Fisher of the 1st Marine Regiment, during a defensive action at Hagaru-Ri. He stated "But the main reason my men lost confidence in the carbine was because they would put a bullet right into a (Chinese racial slur removed) chest at 25 yards range, and he wouldn't stop. This happened to me. The bullet struck home; the man simply winced and kept on coming. There were about a half dozen of my men who made this same complaint; some of them swore they had fired 3 or 4 times, hit the man each time, and still not stopped him."

I read all the Korean War accounts in the Goodwin book, and most of the encounters related occurred at short ranges, under 50 yards. Most engagements were at night, and defensive in nature, firing against many charging enemy at close range. It seems unlikely that carbine bullets would not penetrate.

So, I'm somewhat conflicted on the subject of whether thick layers of clothing might have stopped carbine bullets. I still think it's plausible, particularly at longer ranges, but it seems most engagements were close in. Perhaps adrenaline and opium had something to do with the perception. If an enemy soldier charges you, and you fire repeatedly and accurately at him with a carbine, but they still keep coming, I imagine one would speculate that clothing layers stopped the bullets, even if they didn't. But maybe they did...I think there's more to this story...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 8:06am
firstflabn,

Sorry, I should have clarified the term "main battle rifle" was not in reference to any official documentation. It was intended only as a general description.

Jim

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 11:03am
David, 

As the original poster, and having performed this test myself, I have little doubt on the subject. I realize I fired at point blank range, but penetration was thru 72 layers of folded PADDED mats (2 feet stacked), plus two 1X6 boards, and then the drywall (but not the brick on the other side of the drywall LOL). I saw the chart for bullet trajectory/speed/energy and agree that distance makes quite a difference, but for close-in combat, as it was mostly intended, I have a hard time believing a padded winter issued wartime jacket would prevent penetration. Could be wrong but won't be convinced ConfusedWould love to see additional research and opinion.

Reed

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 6:57pm
Well I did a test today, granted not really replicating the conditions of the Chosin Reservoir since I'm in Mo and the temp was 82 today. The test was done with a wet Iraqi field jacket with a liner and a really thick wool shirt, both folded in quarters then taped together, for a total thickness of 8 1/2 inches. Distance was 67 yards (all I can get in my front yard), fired 5 rounds of remington fmj from my QHMC carbine.  All 5 rounds were complete pass throughs and well into my backstop.  I know for a fact none of the cold weather gear I had ever been issued was anywhere near 8 1/2 inches thick.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 7:05pm
colreed,

Yes, as I mentioned previously, I thought your evidence was compelling. I'm still very conflicted on this "myth." I think very different results would happen at longer range, but many, if not most engagements described in the complaints about Carbine penetration were during engagements under 50 yards.

I also think the M2 had something to do with the myth. One soldier indicated he never saw anything but M2 Carbines in Korea. Accounts from soldiers who stated they fired multiple shots without taking down an enemy soldier might have presumed they had fired accurately, but perhaps they did not, and did so with an M2.

Intriguing subject...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Well I did a test today, granted not really replicating the conditions of the Chosin Reservoir since I'm in Mo and the temp was 82 today. The test was done with a wet Iraqi field jacket with a liner and a really thick wool shirt, both folded in quarters then taped together, for a total thickness of 8 1/2 inches. Distance was 67 yards (all I can get in my front yard), fired 5 rounds of remington fmj from my QHMC carbine.  All 5 rounds were complete pass throughs and well into my backstop.  I know for a fact none of the cold weather gear I had ever been issued was anywhere near 8 1/2 inches thick.

I guess I was writing my last post when you were posting this. This is good stuff. Thank you for the additional test. Maybe you can repeat when it gets cold there, just to see if there's any significant difference...I know it gets pretty cold in MO, as my Dad lived in Rolla for a while...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 9:40pm
David, 
Yep, already thought about doing a retest in Jan or Feb when it is 2 degrees out after leaving the jacket target outside to get good and frozen.  By the way my house is 14 miles south of Rolla.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2017 at 9:48pm
Wow! My Dad's house was about 8 miles south of Rolla. Small world.

I'll look forward to the frozen results. Maybe they'll be different, but I doubt it.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 5:54am
Great test methods!  Looks like we're waiting on winter. 
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 11:08am

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:29pm
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 11:47am
I fired an FMJ carbine round through an old Kevlar helmet from about 10 yards. Doesn't prove anything here but it did pass through both sides of the helmet.

Are there any similar widespread stories of communist bullets, such as the 7.62x25mm, not penetrating frozen GI clothing during the Korean war?

It would seem like this story would go both ways.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2017 at 12:36pm
Fun stuff shooting various objects with various calibers, various bullet types, varying distances and seeing the results.

Let's see if we can find a Chinese military wool jacket of the era that's been well preserved. Been looking on Ebay. Then put a metal flask half full of Soju or an equivalent in a chest pocket (if it had one) or inside pocket.

The agency I worked for we carried 1911's when I hired on in 1977. They switched to Glock's in .45 acp about 1992. Not well received by me due to culture shock but didn't alter the effectiveness of the .45 acp rounds.

One significant difference is we weren't using hardball. We were issued maybe 4 or 5 different .45 acp factory cartridges and bullets over the years. Hardball was authorized but few carried it.

In a populated suburban environment don't recall anyone even trying a 100 yard shot on a suspect. Most were under 20 feet. Seen some that were shot at about 50 yards with the distance not making any difference.

The two most common denominators when it came to putting the suspect down were: a) where the bullet impacted and what it went thru and/or where it stopped; b) the physical and psychological condition of the suspect at the time they were hit. Adrenaline, methamphetamine, and pain inhibtors like alcohol, cocaine, depressants and PCP. To a lesser extent cannabis. The response of the inner brain to a life threatening event can be pretty impressive. Degrees varied based on the person and circumstances.

Heavy clothing could make a difference in bullet expansion with the hollow points in use at the time. Especially the lighter bullets like the silver tips. This is also where distance could be a contributing factor.

Which reminds me of a rumor I heard. Something to do with insurgents in the Philippines wrapping their torso in bamboo and smoking cannabis before doing a suicide assault en masse on their American enemies. Who were not to happy with the results when using their .38 caliber revolvers in a close quarters defensive role.

Jim

Need some eye candy here with all these words. Unfortunately not related to a .30 caliber carbine but entertaining. AR-15 carbine in 5.56. Mojave desert circa 1999. Target was an oxygen tank left over after the death of an elderly family member. Fire spread pretty quick and smoke high enough to be seen at an unknown distance but far. Lucky for us we had two ex-Marines with us. They knew how to work a fire line and even had the shovels with them to do it. I strongly recommend against attempting this at home. Never found the O2 tank. At least partial fragmentation was seen.

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2017 at 5:57am
Interesting reading.  Pic is impressive.  Note to self - Treat O2 tanks with respect and never shoot one.  
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2017 at 10:20pm

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:28pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2017 at 1:41am
There are plenty of photo's on the internet of the winter uniforms being worn by the Chinese during the Korean War. The opinions of this first page below aside, the uniforms speak for themselves.

------------------------------------------------------

https://johnreisinger.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/getting-it-wrong-the-menace-of-the-quilted-uniforms/

-------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Someone else may get to it before I do but will try to find and post the source(s) of the information making the claims of this often quoted myth.

From personal experience I'll add a note about the ability of cloth/wool/etc to inhibit the performace of a bullet.

Best example is Kevlar. Though not invented until after Korea it's construction provides the basic concept of clothing construction and material that can impede bullet performance. With Kevlar being the extreme no uniforms were made too during the 1950's. The key is the make up of the fibers and the weave.

Who sets the standards in the USA for the use of Kevlar as body armor is the National Institute of Justice. Stories claiming varying qualities of Kevlar don't apply to U.S. manufactured Kevlar clothing for use as body protection.

Here's an article from the Scientific American on how it works.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-makes-kevlar-so-stro/

We were issued Level II Kevlar vests for both uniform and non uniformed duties. They were fitted to us at a police equipment tailor and retailer. Some of us opted to pay the extra cost for the added protection of Level IIIA. I was assigned to narco in 1987. Before the money seizures bought all the toys. One incident in particular motivated me to purchase a Level IV jacket with steel trauma plates front and back.

Our rangemasters conducted a number of tests on the various Kevlar vests we used that was the excuse for the decision of Level II being issued. Not trusting the bean counters who failed to comprehend the number of beans to repair or bury a shot cop in comparison to the number of beans it took to acquire Level II vests, more than a few of us took it upon ourselves to do our own tests.

Vests, like a pair of socks, are not a reissuable item. From those who didn't make probation we acquired the vests we needed. As did others at our agency and fairly commonly done by officers at other agencies.

Rather than explain what we learned have a look at https://www.safeguardarmor.com/support/body-armor-protection-levels/.

What the info doesn't include is distance makes a difference. The level rating standard test distance is 100 yards. My Level IV Jacket and trauama plates indicated at a distance equal to or greater than 100 yards.

Bringing this back around to the War in Korea, when they didn't have this technology or level of protection, it takes a Level III or IV Kevlar rig to stop a standard factory .30 carbine round nose bullet. The addition of steel or ceramic trauma plates stopped the carbine rounds we tested on a Level IIIA vest. Our tests were done at 25 yards given the environment we worked in, not 100 yards.

The National Institute of Justice, for good reason, has to be conservative in their ratings.

We didn't conduct our tests on Kevlar soaked in water and frozen to any degree. Things get complicated with the addition of water to Kevlar.

I'm no expert on any of this. Just have some limited life experiences.

Since I first heard these stories of the carbine failing to put Chinese and Korean soldiers down I've dismissed these accounts as they are absent very important key elements and a number of elements that may have contributed.

There are no accounts providing distances or circumstances. No accounts include information on if the person shot failed to drop but dropped x number or yards or seconds later. Or weren't seen after having been shot given the circumstances. No accounts include where the bullet struck the person or examination of the person who had been shot. Not always possible but enough examples existed in that environment where it could have been done at some point in location and time.

No information has been included on the clothing, where on the clothing and anything that may have been in the path of the bullet as it penetrated the clothing (i.e. that flask of distilled alcohol). Did it hit leather, wet leather, the belt buckle?

Most of the stories I've heard have been a U.S. soldier was given a Garand in exchange for the carbine they carried. With a story that the carbine was deficient in one way or another.

In a combat environment rather than risk anyone until tests could be conducted I think it a very good idea to hand out M1 Garands as replacements if a rifle was even suspected of being deficient. If the problem with the carbines was to the degree the stories have grown since we'd see some kind of documentation on tests and recomendations. What we do know is some of our soldiers carried them in Vietnam. To include SF.

------------------------------------------------
My daughter's husband was infantry by choice in the 27th Infantry Regiment. During a tour in Iraq he and others were armed with the M4 rifle. Their operations varied from urban to rural. None were armed with a rifle capable of more distance than the M4 in 5.56.

Based on their experiences in Iraq, before his second deployment he was armed with the then modern version of an M14 in 7.62. His second deployment was to Aghanistan. In the time between he married my daughter who was pregnant with their first when he deployed.

He, and his buddies who carried M4's in Afghanistan, were glad he had that M14 in the valley they were operating out of.

No one gun fits all environments and jobs at hand. Yet. How long have military forces been trying to find that one?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2017 at 7:52am
There are a couple more accounts in WBII and WBIII that I noticed over the weekend, but I'm away from my books at the moment to quote them. Nothing very specific is mentioned...

Maybe someone who has their books, and an interest in the subject can add what was stated. I believe some of it was in the pages immediately preceding the chapter on member "sleeplessnashadow."

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2017 at 9:25am

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>