Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bullet penetration myth busted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bullet penetration myth busted
    Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 12:09pm
Yesterday I had a need to test fire just a few rounds from my carbine after some repair. So, not wanting to go all the way to the range for this minor event, I decided to do it at home. My home owners assoc has restrictions for firearms in the neighborhood, so I could not fire outdoors, but I thought inside the garage would be OK where the sound would be dampened.

But, what sort of contraption could I create to be sure and capture the FMJs from a few test fires? Like many others of you, I had heard the stories about how the lowly .30 carbine had trouble penetrating the heavy Korean Chicom winter jackets (which I have now, unfortunately, discovered is BS). So, considering that, and after a short spell of mental engineering, I concocted the following test bed to catch just the few rounds I needed.

A three foot tube (concrete form) stuffed with 'something' that would stop the bullets. I also place three 1/2 inch thick boards at the other end of the tube just in case I miscalculated and a round snuck thru the 'something'.

Well, the 'something' turned out to be folded heavy fabric blankets like the ones used in baby nurseries, and which are coated with an additional thick waterproof layer.

I figured that if I folded, maybe 4 of these, and stuffed them into the tube, I'd have no problem. After all, how many layers could a Chicom jacket have?

I folded each blanket lengthwise 4 times, and then folded it over itself 5 times. This created a 'wad' that was 20 layers thick.

Actually, only 2 of the 4 blankets were folded into 20 layers. Two of them were folded only into 16 layers. So, in all, I had 72 layers of thick blanket folded for stuffing into the tube, which I did.

These 72 layers crammed tightly into the tube amounted to 16 inches of material which, surely, would deter any errant FMJ from the interior of my garage.

Now, all set up, I fired the first round. Seemed to work fine. I looked at the boards at the end of the tube and did not see any holes. So far, so good. I fired the second round and checked the boards again and....uh, oh! There is a hole.

I had missed the hole from the first firing due to a shadow on the board.

Checking further, I noticed 2 holes thru the sheetrock of my garage wall. Fortunately, no penetration thru the brick exterior wall.

Had to beef it up some. So I placed a 3 inch thick landscape timber between the end of the tube and the boards. Now, she's good to go.

"BAM BAM". Couldn't believe my eyes!

And the BACKSIDE?

They did not penetrate all the boards however. But before continuing, I filled a bag with 6 inches of sand, and sandwiched it between several of the folded blanket 'wads' in the tube. That finally did the trick.
There are two morals here (to me anyway):

1. As they say on Myth Busters, do not try this at home. Was a dumb idea on several levels.
2. The lowly .30 carbine will hurt you severely, even if you are layered up out on a frigid adventure. Seventy two layers of folded blanket, three 1/2 inch boards and drywall (throw in a landscape timber as well).

I now have a much greater respect for my little rifle, and really do wonder about that Chicom jacket claim.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 1:26pm
I enjoyed that immensely but you failed to mention the results of the repairs, 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 1:46pm
A 30 cal barrel with sand usually does the trick. 50 gal better.
The flaw in your test is you are firing at point blank range. You can kill someone with a 22 at that range. For a true test you would have to have Target at a range that the bullet has had time to stabilize.

Incidentally, the carbine made an excellent urban police rifle. Due to lack of penetration of buildings. When cities went to AR platform they found a bullet could penetrate building and cause unintentional casualty.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 2:00pm
What I am wondering is how you are able to take pictures in the future. Don't need any details how you do it. Stock tips, future sporting event results, etc. will suffice.

I, too, am interested in what kind of repairs were made and the results of the test.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 2:22pm
Ah, the repairs.....Rifle a new acquisition. On the range last Wednesday, rifle would fire and eject normally, but not pick up and feed a new round from mag. It didn't jam, just the bolt closed on empty chamber as if pickup was never attempted. Most frustrating is that it would cycle perfectly manually. Would empty a whole mag manually without hesitation.
Changed many things (in turn) at the range. including 5 mags, main spring, trigger housing complete, and bolt. Stretched mag spring some for more tension. Spread mag feed lips (?) slightly. More lube. Same result for 2 hours. Brought home.
At home serious eval (3 hours). One thing at a time. New trig house complete. Had to dremmel the lug to allow fit. Tested. No fire. Light primer strike 3 times.
Changed bolt (complete). Tested. It fired but no feed. Back to orig malfunction.
Changed slide but did not test with it. Rifle didn't like it. Showed some binding (manually) as it approached the rear end of the bolt cycle.
Changed slide (another). Tested. It fired and tried to feed (Yea), but bullet jammed entering throat. More dremmel work smoothing and polishing feed ramp area.
Reassembled. fired. WORKED (4 rounds, different mags) with both FMJ and soft point.
Now, I have a $450 PMC instead of a $250 PMC. I suspect someone might be asking what the rifle make is. So there you have it.
PS: The PMC had an original night scope mounting bar on it, type II if I remember. Got the package for a good deal (scope bar alone was worth it). Couldn't resist. My first commercial carbine. Won't make a habit of it.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 2:25pm
M1A1FAN Photos not future. I reassembled everything in order after test for the story. Thought the CC might be interested in the process/result.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 2:49pm
Colreed, great details, appreciate you sharing them. I was making reference to the date time stamp of your pictures of 2018. Just kidding of course, no offense intended.

I've never had a PMC, nor have I seen one in person. Had a 60's Cadmus style folding stock with GI parts in it. Sold the innards. A true bubba fit job though. Still can't get the recoil plate out of the remaining folding stock. Some kind of large bolt down the center of the pistol grip.

Paging Dr. PMC.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 3:29pm
You may have a defective extractor or the piston is not working properly.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 4:06pm
Charles,Thanks for the tip. I forgot to mention that I pipecleanered the gas chamber and piston with solvent and pressure air. Was pretty clean to start with but who knows. Again, appreciate the input.Reed
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 4:08pm
GOOD HEAVENS!!!! Never saw the pic date. So much for detail. Thanks. Absolutely no offense taken. Not even close. Hope I didn't infer.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 6:44pm
Reed, no worries. My sense of humor can be a little dry.

Will there be USGI repairs made to the dry wall?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 7:21pm
Couple small strips white duct tape ought to do it. 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 10:37pm
ColReed,

Hi. I'm the crazy guy who has bought and sold many of the commercial carbines you see on M1CarbinesInc.com. One of my goals has been to examine, document, test fire and trouble shoot each one. More than one or two from each company. While I've moved on to other carbine projects I still pick up a commercial carbine now and then if it's the latest new version or a variation I haven't worked with yet.

Plainfield made carbines from 1962-1977. What they made early on was a bit different than what they ended with and passed on to Iver Johnson. Trouble shooting a Plainfield carbine, it helps to know the serial number and markings it has which helps date it to a given time period. What they did during that time period helps to focus on known issues. Bottom line is a carbine is a carbine if built close to GI design and dimensions but some of the commercial ones can have idiosyncrasies.

One thing as a word of caution. Polishing or altering the feed ramp needs to stay clear of the chamber. Check your spent casings for bulging on the side at the rear to make sure the feed ramp work didn't affect the specs of the chamber.

Cartridges hanging up on the feed ramp is not an uncommon issue for both commercial or GI carbines. Reads like you've done all the right things with trouble shooting. I'll add a few variations that may be of help to others. Then I'll address the failure of the bolt to pick up a new cartridge during it's return forward.

#1 cause of feeding problems with carbines is usually magazine related. Magazines were a weak link in the orchestra right from the beginning and Ordnance knew it. They were made in the quantities they were made as they were disposable. You tried different mags, which is a good start. If those mags were all GI mags or well used mags you might like to have a quality new mag handy to also check with. Which you may have done.

There are two issues with the mag, besides the spring, that can affect the ability of the round to chamber but can also cause the bolt to pass over the cartridge it's supposed to chamber. One is the bend of the lips at the top of each magazine which are easily damaged by dropping the mags occasionally. You did good checking this one. Another is the magazine nubs that sit on top of the mag catch to hold the magazine in place. If they're bent or damaged the magazine can sit lower than it should.

For awhile in the late 60's and into the 70's Plainfield used aluminum trigger housings. While okay for the short run it's now many years later and aluminum doesn't have the lifespan of steel. Same applies to the aluminum trigger housing used by Universal. The wear that causes the mag to sit lower isn't always clearly visible. Again, you done right by swapping trigger housings. Another suggestion would be to push up on the magazine as you are firing and see if it makes a difference. Push up on the rear, then the center, then the front. If something works and something doesn't it narrows the suspects.

The majority of Plainfields, but not all, have a barrel skirt to route the incoming cartridge into the chamber. Make sure yours has the barrel skirt on the rear of the barrel chamber that extends into the 6 o'clock to 10 o'clock chamber area. No barrel skirt isn't a fail, but may contribute to problems.

The bolt passing over the cartridge and fully rotating and locking closed. #1 culprit is the magazine is sitting too low. Helps to know if there are scratch marks across the top of the cartridge the bolt passed over. Also helps to know if the bolt encountered any resistance as it moved over the cartridge it didn't pick up.

The #2 most common issue with carbines not feeding is they need to be cleaned. Especially the gas chamber and gas piston. Soldiers had the luxury of using only 1 type of ammo and instructions to turn the carbine over to an armorer for cleaning the inside of gas piston cylinder. Some people have taken this to mean never clean it but they forget the part about the armorer is now their job. Looks like you had this covered too.

If the recoil spring or hammer spring are too short or worn out usually the bolt will stop when it engages the rear of the cartridge or shortly thereafter. This can appear to be a problem related to something else when the nose of the bullet stops against the feed ramp. GI springs are tuff babies, not so all commercial springs. Check the number of coils on the hammer spring and the diameter of the wire. Early GI springs were 22 coils, late ones were 26 1/2 and the ones more reliable. Both had the same diameter of the spring wire. A number of commercial springs are made from thinner wire and wear out easily.

That your bolt fully closed, rotated and locked without picking up the cartridge points to the magazine position being too low being the problem. Have a look at the animations at http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/operation.html. Check the setting of your video player to make them go slow motion. Watch the front of the bolt as it moves forward and engages the next cartridge. You can see the shape of the magazine lips can get in the way but the bolt completely passing over the cartridge and closing you can also see the position of the rear of the magazine is critical.

I just checked the animations and once again something in the world of the internet has changed. If they aren't working for you give it a few hours. When I'm done here I'll be trouble shooting the animations.

Back up a bit, I've found pushing up on the bottom of the magazine as described above will usually ID the problem if the magazine isn't sitting high enough or isn't sitting as it should to allow the rounds to feed.

Also check the mag catch as some commercial ones are slightly too small or the opening they sit in is slightly too large.

Hope this helps someone.

Jim
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 11:32pm
I have something to add to what Jim mentioned regarding magazines that aren't sitting high enough to allow proper feeding. Early mag catches were thicker and therefore fit in their slots rather tightly. Not so much that they would bind but tight enough that they didn't move forward under the force of the mag catch/safety retaining plunger/spring. The later catches were thinner and therefore loose in the TH slot. This allowed the plunger/spring to push the magazine forward resulting in the magazine actually tilting upward in the TH as much as 1/16 inch. This along with some of the other conditions Jim described contributed to FTF problems I had with an early QHMC carbine that I have. These problems were completely cured when I replaced the early mag catch with a later type. See details and pictures in this discussion on the M1 Carbine forum:

http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6672
JackP
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 11:34pm
Any penetration test(s) with any firearm should have a fail safe backstop that's impenetrable just in case the bullet breaks through the objects used to measure penetration.

Sand, dirt, tarred railroad ties in multiples are good alternatives. Just make sure the trajectory of the bullet isn't at an angle to the backstop to avoid ricochets. A large bucket of sand with a vented plastic lid to keep the sand inside and not blow the bucket apart works well for handgun rounds. A larger bucket and more sand is needed for powerful centerfire cartridges. A sandpit size bucket works well.

Wide month steel pipes filled with plenty of sand are stronger than plastic buckets and often used by police departments as bullet traps for chambering or unchambering rounds.

Jim
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:14am
Jim,
I very much appreciate your analysis of my issue and the tips you offered.
I will view the video you mentioned, and get back to you with a PM after scoping out my PMC a little further.
Again, thanks.
Reed
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:47am
Dan,
I didn't realize so much speed and energy died off so quickly.
Can see how Chicom jacket claim might be more plausible at long range.
thanks

Range

Drop
(inches)

Velocity

Energy

Wind drift
(inches)

Time
(milliseconds)

A

A

A

A

A

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 1:19pm
Do not forget that the maximum effective range was I believe 250 yards.

I once read an article on the Chicom myth where they took the jacket and tested as well as and freezing the jacket. in both cases the Carbine penetrated the jacket within the usable range.

Funny how rumors spread faster and father then the truth.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:36pm
Yes, I think to be completely fair to the original "myth," this test should be performed at distances beyond 100 yards. I don't think the bullets will bounce off a jacket at 200 yards, but I think the result will be quite different than this point blank test.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 11:21pm
I'm not a combat veteran but I've had a fair number of opportunities to slow down and closely examine gunshot wounds during my lifetime. I'm not going to get into what the experience came from, just a few comments about the penetration of clothing and people as observations. Some of this isn't news to some folks but will just share the comments.

First, the clothing. The material the clothing is made from, the tightness of the weave and the thickness are factors that may affect a bullet's trajectory. Buttons, zippers, belts, boots, and so on also can come into play. As can multiple layers.

The bullet makeup. Clothing can and has had a serious affect on the terminal performance of hollow points. Copper jacketed round nose bullets do better but the larger the diameter of the bullet the more the clothing weave comes into play.

The cartridge providing the speed and energy. Obviously every cartridge and bullet has an effective range, meaning limits. Exceed those limits and potential terminal damage diminishes significantly. With the carbine an average for cartridge and bullet terminal effective range is different than it's accuracy effective range. Terminal effective range is about 300-350 yards but these distances involve more than just bullet and cartridge.

Terminal impact. While all of the above can affect performance at the point of impact and the penetration that follows the one factor that can change it all is where the bullet hits the body. Followed by what the bullet penetrates during it's journey into the body. Penetration depth of a round nose bullet isn't as important as what it damages in whatever distance it does go.

Often the shooter does the best they can to put it in the 10 ring or head but under firefight conditions with incoming rounds one often hits what one can as much and as many times as one can.

The thing that's always bothered me about the story of the North Korean or Chinaman who kept on coming after being shot with a .30 carbine round is the conclusion it was the clothing and impotency of the carbine bullet that failed to take him down. Too many factors involved to draw that conclusion without a forensic reconstruction and examination. Not likely that happened given the story is short and absent details other than thick jacket and carbine.

Just a quick example. The .25 auto cartridge/bullet. If it hits bone or cartilage they commonly absorb sufficient energy to render the bullet useless. If it hits flesh it goes farther. If an artery is hit or even knicked it can become a fatal shot quickly. Some arteries are not as deep as others. It is hits the heart, ditto. Through an ear or eye into the brain is end game usually, but not always. Not even for the powerful rounds.

And I'm not getting into blunt force trauma here.

Playing the odds it's unwise to use a carbine in a mountainous combat environment thinking it's a main battle rifle just as our troops discovered the 5.56 cartridge wasn't adequate for many operations in Afghanistan. A never ending struggle for the right gun and right cartridge for every environment.

Last thing on that Korean/Chinaman who didn't stop after having been shot with a carbine. Humans have the incredible ability not to realize, or ignore, when they're dead. Especially with shots to anywhere but the brain. We're not the only animals to keep going after a fatal shot.

Little side note. One of the guys I worked with was shot with a .45 ACP with a very adequate hollow point bullet at a distance of less than 15 feet. Hit him in the chest. From the gun of a co-worker. It failed to even get to his shirt. Deflected prior by what we referred to as a P button that secured the pocket shut instead of a plastic button. Such stories are obviously not unusual.

I've mentioned before I had another co-worker who was killed with a .30 carbine. Round nose factory ammo at a distance of about 50 yards. What killed him wasn't that he was hit with a .30 caliber bullet, it was that the bullet severed part of his aorta. I mention this as it's a case in point of mistaking the caliber as inferior to the larger calibers.

Sure, the 30-06 in an M1 Garand is more powerful but plenty of people have survived hits by those too. Maybe a Garand would have put that fabled jacketed soldier down, maybe not.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>