Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buffalo Arms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buffalo Arms
    Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 3:39pm
I own a NPM carbine with a turned and unground barrel, rounded muzzle, and marked "Buffalo Arms, 11-1943" with a lit grenade.  I am interested in any information regarding Buffalo Arms.  Thanks.
GP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 4:14pm
Gary P View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 6:03pm
Thanks.  The remarks state a high percentage were rejected.  However, my understanding is that any barrel issued had to meet minimum standards, so even if many were rejected this barrel passed muster. 
GP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 6:44pm
Yep if it passed all the assembly, inspection, test/sight in it was good enough for the US gov't then it was good to go at that time and accepted. Of course 78+ years have passed and now it depends on the condition of the barrel - straightness, bore condition, muzzle wear, crown, etc.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2023 at 7:51pm
In WB!, it is state that Buffalo Arms was a division of Howdale-Hershey.
Amongst the various reasons for rejection were shipments manufactured to specs that (unknown to them) had been changed.  These needed to either be reworked by BA or the prime contractor receiving.
Gary P View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the information.  This is particular interest to me as I live in Rochester, NY and once worked in the factory where the NPM carbines were manufactured. It was a General Motors factory in the 1970's. (Rochester Products) and I worked there during summer breaks from school. . I assumed that Buffalo Arms was located in Buffalo, NY but wanted verification it's a Western NY carbine.  The carbine is in very good condition, an early model with flip sights, "I" oiler sling slot, flat bolt and Type 1 barrel band. Thanks again. 
GP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 1:02pm
Gary, we would love to see some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 2:29pm
For what it's worth, during WWII, Buffalo Arms was in Cheektowaga, a suburb of Buffalo. I grew up in Buffalo and never heard of Buffalo Arms until I got started collecting carbines. By then, they were gone.

BTW, Larry Ruth had collected some tidbits from Buffalo Arms...a patch, a small banner, a couple small lapel pin awards and two certificates awarded to workers. Both awards were to women.   I just shipped a 49 pound (!) box of non-firearm goodies like this to my home, and once it gets here, I'll be putting that stuff up on ebay, a few items at a time (on Larry's family's ebay account, ruthintheoutfield).

I'll make a post when I start to list the Buffalo Arms items.

And somewhere in this Forum, there is a very interesting post on "Where are they now?," which shows recent photos of the various carbine manufacturers' factory sites. I cannot remember if any of the original Buffalo Arms buildings are still standing, but I think the street locations are named in that post. I found it all very interesting.

Regards, mb

Edited by New2brass - Mar 13 2023 at 2:45pm
Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 2:47pm

Buffalo Arms is not in it, but if someone can locate the factory and get some pics it would be a welcome addition.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 2:53pm
"War Baby," pages 206-207 detail the problems that the prime manufacturers had with Buffalo Arms barrels, I'm sorry to say.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Gary P View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 3:21pm
I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture, but i will when I do.
GP
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 3:34pm
Well, you guys got my curiosity up, so I did some internet searching.

Buffalo Arms Corp was reportedly at "2003 Walden Ave, just east of Harlem Rd. in Cheektowaga." Using Google Earth Pro, that address is now a Cabela's, which is actually "behind" Walden Ave in a large plaza. Along the street is an Olive Garden restaurant at 2011 Walden Ave. Further east is Jim's Truck Plaza at 2125 Walden Ave.

Using the overhead view, a large flat area of concrete, piles of concrete rubble, and the "footprint" of at least one long-gone building are easily seen between the large plaza and Jim's Truck Plaza...which may have been the location of Buffalo Arms.

Looking around that area using "street view," all the buildings appear to be modern construction.

My childhood best friend's office is only a few blocks away on Harlem, and I'll ask him to make a drive-by around the plaza and see if any old buildings - resembling a factory remain. I doubt it. If he finds anything, I'll make another post.

The fun of all this is "in the hunt!"

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 5:10pm
I'm going to suggest that Larry phonetically wrote down the corporate name as he heard it. 
Poking around with duckduckgo.com as well g**gle.com and bing wasn't turning up any companies called Howdale Hershey

Changing the search a bit, turns up a possible sound alike (depending on where your from I suppose)

Houdaille-Hershey

"In March 1946, Peo, then executive vice president, resigned to form Frontier Industries, Inc. As head of Frontier, Peo acquired Manzel Brothers Oil Pump Company, Fairmount Tool & Forging, Inc., of Cleveland, Ohio, the Buffalo Arms plant, and Buffalo Crushed Stone Coorporation."

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 5:57pm
Matt_X, that is a very accurate statement!!! :-)   As smart and skilled and resourceful as Larry Ruth was, he was dyslexic and had absolutely terrible trouble with spelling. His spelling was phonetic as he heard it. He couldn't recognize misspelled words. And he never learned to type or use a computer.

I'm not putting him down. Larry was a great friend. He accomplished more in carbine research and authorship than anyone else in the world. When his first book was published in 1979, we all asked "Who is Larry Ruth?! And how did he compile so much information on the Carbine, without any of us noticing?"

He certainly found his way, despite his handicaps. An Eagle Scout, almost 40 years as a Jr. High School art teacher, and active in local City Councils and other community service activities. May his soul rest in peace.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 8:01pm
I'm not having any luck withthe maps right now.
I found an interactive overlay, where we can see a USGS map from 1948 overlay on a google/open map.  A slider allows us to make it more or less transparent.
From that we can see that Walden Ave was relocated North from its 1948 path.
Only two larger factroy complexes shown on the USGS.  One on the West of the today's I-90 and the other by the RR line.

The Library of Congress has a 1940s Sanborn Atlas digitized.
Page one acts like an index.  Map 32  goes up to street adresses in the 1800s.  On map 33, there is a factory but not Buffalo Arms.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 8:40pm
Very good....I see the northerly re-routing "bump" on Walden Road when the NYS Thruway was put in. The Cabela's location could very well be the original location of Buffalo Arms Corp. It's certainly the correct address.

On the other hand, the description on the internet that Buffalo Arms was at "2003 Walden Ave., just east of Harlem Road" SEEMS to indicate maybe the factory was closer to Harlem. That would put it at the location of the present day Thruway Plaza. Too bad we don't know the exact distance that "just east of Harlem Road" was.

Intriguing.   Regards, mb
Marty Black
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 8:49pm
Here we go.
There's a 1942 town map in here.

Between the New York Central RR and the Lackawana RR, to the East of Village Line/ Harlem Rd.
Gruner and Wallace Roads are on both maps.
Houdaille Rd became Kennedy.

Left side is the 1942 map with the roads marked to match the map on the right sides.  Right side is the USGS overlay onto a current 2023 map.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 10:10pm
Excellent job, Matt Magellan ! ! ! ! ! Using Google Earth Pro street view, I "drove" up Kennedy Road, north from Gruner to where it ends at Broadway (Rte 130) by the RR tracks. That's the entire length of the Buffalo Arms lot space shown on the 1942 map.

A large "Kennedy Industrial Park" with what appears to be a huge semi-truck warehouse/loading facility (with odd multiple angled roof panels) is set back from the street, but if you go to 525 Kennedy Road, and move north slightly, you will come upon an old 3-story brick building on the street front, that is what I envisioned Buffalo Arms looked like! Just slightly further north is a small 1 story cinder block building (painted blue) that may have been part of Buffalo Arms.

And it's very interesting that Kennedy Road was named Houdaille Rd on the 1948 map!

I'll ask my childhood friend to drive up to those buildings and see if there are any signs or other indications that those buildings were part of Buffalo Arms.

That was quick work, Matt_X ! ! !   Thanks for all that!

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 10:21pm

In my excitement and haste, I forgot to attach these photos. First one shows the front of the 3-story brick building, the second photo is looking north with the 3-story brick building in the foreground and the smaller cinder block building (painted blue) in the distance. Behind both buildings is the long Kennedy Industrial Park warehouse/trucking facility, whatever it is.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 10:47pm
From a 1943 court document

Buffalo Arms Corporation, a Michigan corporation authorized to do business in the State of New York, is a subsidiary of Houdaille-Hershey Corporation.It is engaged in the manufacture of war material at its Cheektowaga, New York, plant, with which this proceeding is alone concerned.

Bold emphasis for the street name of the time, In 1941 it was Kennedy road as it is today

Houdaille-Hershy had locations in Detroit  and Jackson Michigan, Buffalo NY, Decatur Ill that all produced for the war effort.
Their flagship item was dampers (shock absorbers) but also made rockets, bombs, projectiles and chemicals

January 1941 Buffalo Arms location was procured and factory built for making arms for the British. They went on to make .30 cal m1919 machine guns  .50 cal M2 machine guns
We see this with several companies that got war contracts in locations with available labor.

The Army closed the plant in February 1, 1945 to release the workers for other plants

I am guessing following the MG trail will produce more results

Edit to add, By 1947 the location was occupied by American Machine & Foundry Company.
I will let someone else figure out if this company had anything to do with "AMF" bowling pin machines an motorcycles!

Edited by New2brass - Mar 13 2023 at 11:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>