The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Bubba' Da M1 Carbine, Take 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Bubba' Da M1 Carbine, Take 2
    Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 1:05pm
It's home Tongue

For those of you who might remember I snagged a bubba'd M1 Carbine end of 2021 for a nice price off Gunbroker (800 clams before shipping and FFL, 900 total).

What it looked like then

7 months later just back from Fulton Armory for a repark and check over

Now that looks more like a M1 Carbine people Big smile The stock is from Numrich.

I was worried about the bolt having been jeweled

Before

After.

The repark got rid of the "purple haze" trigger group also.

Before

After.

No range report yet, of course UPS delivers it on a day it's raining Cry I'm almost afraid to shoot it it's so nice looking. This is what a Carbine must have looked like day of issue. 

The barrel gauged a .05 when I bought it. Besides the repark I had them change springs as needed and they recommended a new extractor. Total with the stock I would say was 1550 smackers but well worth it, this thing is like brand newBig smile
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 1:25pm
Looks better, but I have to say that the Bubba'd version looked pretty neat. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Looks better, but I have to say that the Bubba'd version looked pretty neat. 

It just didn't feel right with that stock. I could have taken the lazy way out and just swapped stocks but this one is the best condition USGI Carbine I've ever owned, trigger group is tight as brand new and the best barrel I've ever owned. If I read my serial number to barrel date right it's got the original barrel on it. Actually the Type 3 Barrel band would be wrong for original issue (4/44 Inland Barrel, it's a Inland)  but I figure with adjustable rear sight it saw the post war rebuild program then sat someplace till Bubba bought it back in the day and sporterized  it
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 3:58pm
I'm already thinking of swapping the stock for a nicer looking Boyd's stock I finished out for another Carbine. It's a sickness I say Big smile 
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2022 at 9:15pm
Nice restoration- agree looks better with a USGI configuration 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Bigheavy31 Bigheavy31 wrote:

Nice restoration- agree looks better with a USGI configuration 

This thing looks brand new. I swapped the stock I used for the Fulton work for a Boyd's and it looks even sharper. I'm really tempted never to fire this one. I always get 1 safe queen of any gun I like and this could be the one. I was using a 1943 Inland as that but it has a replacement barrel on it. This has a proper USGI Inland barrel on it.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 11:14am
It looks good Don. Maybe in 30-40 years these sporterized rifles will be rare collectors items but I think you did right by restoring it back to USGI configuration. The only thing I would have done differently is do the work myself, I have a parkerizing setup and a good selection of parts on hand, but time is money too and Fulton does a nice job.
As far as not using it... It would be a different case if it was a factory original or even a "white bag" carbine, as a modern restore/repark I wouldn't hesitate to take it out and enjoy it. It's not like you are going to wear it out. This is the approach I take with my own, FWIW.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 11:49am
did they blast the bolt to remove jeweling, or a more aggressive approach evident by sanding?
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

did they blast the bolt to remove jeweling, or a more aggressive approach evident by sanding?

I believe they said they used a acid dip of some kind. I can't see a trace of the jeweling and it looks like the new production bolts on my FA carbines, but with no test fire wear at all. Big smile
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

It looks good Don. Maybe in 30-40 years these sporterized rifles will be rare collectors items but I think you did right by restoring it back to USGI configuration. The only thing I would have done differently is do the work myself, I have a parkerizing setup and a good selection of parts on hand, but time is money too and Fulton does a nice job.
As far as not using it... It would be a different case if it was a factory original or even a "white bag" carbine, as a modern restore/repark I wouldn't hesitate to take it out and enjoy it. It's not like you are going to wear it out. This is the approach I take with my own, FWIW.

I've 3 weeks before I can hit the range anyway. My biggest thing about turning this one into a safe queen is it's the only USGI Carbine I have with a WWII production USGI barrel.

My other 2 Inlands both have Criterion replacement barrels and my Postal Meter has a Erma barrel on it. If I read the serial number base and date on the barrel right (it's a 7/44 barrel, not a 4/44...should have wipe the oil off the barrel yesterday when I got it back Big smile) it's the issue barrel Big smile

It might not have "pure" collectors value but as a heirloom gun I'm hoping it'll be in the family for decades to come

Post Reply Post Reply