Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

B-Q stamp for rear flip sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2019 at 9:57am
I know I’m a little late in this discussion but I would like to offer a rule of thumb with regards to restorations. Obviously it’s your carbine so do as you please but keep in mind that what ever you do the value will always be the sum of the parts that are on it. Any increase in value will be that of the added parts minus the value of those that were replaced. Restoring can be fun but in the end you usually end up with more money in it than what you will get out of it. That being said I’m not opposed to restorations the hunt for parts is challenging and fun at the same time. The only negative is that at some point down the road the restoration will be passed off as original. That’s why when purchasing a carbine always keep in mind the sum of the parts when determining value.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2019 at 11:01am
Well stated. BTW, I saw a very nice very early original at a show yesterday asking 1200 but could've been bought at 1000, possibly 950 if someone had the cash to display--I didn't go to buy and did not have it. It wasn't perfect but would've been money ahead of maybe two restorations. And you get the pride of finding one that's not corrected basically for almost shooter price. Flip, dogleg, checkered safety, high wood stock. The bad? Someone filled the I cut and sling cut outs.

Also, it's one thing to buy parts from demils. The malicious side of parts changing is what happens to originals. Beautiful S'G' Carbines get parted out for lesser quality IPs. Same thing happens to nice 1st gen Pontiac Firebirds that get scabbed onto rusted out Camaro cowl sections. I like all of these and have bought two S'G's that someone broke up because I like anything Grand Rapids. One is a near perfect condition bare receiver someone took everything off of, and we've seen those bare receivers sold on GB and even offered on ebay (where they aren't supposed to be). A 2nd one bought to restore had lost it's flipper, stock and trigger group. It's tragic to look at and most likely at my current income level it won't get corrected by me anymore. Especially because last year I found an orig 1st block S'G' for $729 buy it now on GB which is still intact because originals matter.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2019 at 6:51pm
It's all good. Mistakes are made, yet sometime you find a gem.
Unfortunately with my location. To visit gun shows. It's 275 miles to Phoenix. Salt Lake City, Utah is more.
Vegas is about the same as Phoenix. It's just not easy to have that pleasure is all. So I'm kinda at the mercy of what's on line. I don't like it, but it is my location that starves me from getting around to such events. That's kinda why I tend to pester for info. Plus the simple fact that I have much to learn.
I can't even imagine finding a carbine as tenOCEE mentioned above. It just does not happen in my neck of the woods. Flagstaff AZ has maybe 2 a year. 135 miles for travel. Nice for this boy for the venture, but 3 carbines total and all were very sad.
I guess I need to quit shopping and spend the money for travel. Thumbs Up
As said above. It's all good.
No words can describe how much I appreciate this site and all the help from everyone.
PM's and straight up. It's all good. Many thanks again.
Lightning 330
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2020 at 8:08am
Marcus pointed out that he is refinishing some parts. So take into account that on bid values. Look at the flash and factor that flash makes things look lighter. Dark parts have probably been refinished. I got a rear sight and mag catch that are too dark for normal finish colors but didn't realize he was redoing them.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12