Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Born on date help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Born on date help
    Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 7:20am
......for a new acquisition.
Is Std Pro SN 2170530.
Many thanks
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 7:53am
Falls into block 1st quarter 1944.
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 11:07am
I have to agree based on barrel dates. Seems U.E.F 1-44 and 12-43 barrel dates are the most prevalent.
the 1-44 dates show up on earlier to later serials then the 12-43, so the use was mixed in the serial range. So either they barreled out of order or it was a case of last in first out with the 12-43 being in the back.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 11:17am
Thanks again, Dan. And  USMCDOC.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2017 at 11:30am
Probably February or March of 44.
HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 8:52am
Not to butt in, sorta, Wink  other than serial number listings of years and quarters...where do I find data on rough ranges of "appropriate-ish" barrel dates?
Fortune Favors the Foolish
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 8:59am
"Butt-ins" I don't mind. Hope you find your answer.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 3:15pm
One source; "The M1 Carbine owners guide" by Ruth & Duff.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 6:56pm
Got that but nothing on barrel dates   If serial number lands in area of April to June of '44 I dont necessarily expect it to have had an April '44 barrel.  But I suspect most guys would replace a worn barrel within those dates..?..?  Yes?  No?   (yes already have)

Know what I mean Vern  Thumbs Up

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 7:58pm
FWIW, if you didn't see this the reference page http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html, states:

If a receiver has it's original barrel and the barrel includes a date, the date is the date the barrel itself was manufactured. Barrels were usually in short supply and if inventory ran out could shut down production lines. Barrels were usually mounted to receivers within one or two months of the date the barrel was made, however, many carbines have had their original barrels replaced.

Also there is a database at http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/MasterList/List.aspx where folks have listed some barrel dates with their serial number.  I don't know how useful it is but it might get you in the ball park of expectations.

HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2017 at 10:43pm
Sling00   Thumbs Up We'll go with that.   I had read that but had brain lapsed on it.  Knew I had seen something about couple months... so its clear as mud since we haven't been able to come up with anything definitive on how close barrel dates would be to the original build for any given serial number range once they were allotted to the manufactures.  Goot nuf! Approve
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2017 at 6:33am
Is the master list being maintained/updated?
 If so, how to carbines get added to it? 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2017 at 12:12pm
I do not think that sight has been updated in quite some time.
There is a similar list on the CMP

Again, not updated for quite some time.

Anyone tech savvy that wants to copy both lists, combine and start a master list is more then welcome to do so here!
 Post Reply Post Reply