Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt tool
    Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 10:45pm
Do I really need a bolt tool?  I had a WW2 carbine in 1980 and shot the hell out of it and never took the bolt apart just cleaning the receiver and barrel never a problem.
Thanks
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 8:23am
Need a bolt tool...?
Will depend on how much you shoot it. Or even luck.
Even with casual shooting things can go bad ......

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 8:39am
Wow! Nice catch. That could have been hazardous to your health. Although I don’t shoot my carbines, I do have several other rifles that I shoot regularly. As a former Army Drill Sergeant I learned early on to always clean a bolt as a part of cleaning any rifle. On newer sporting rifles, I don’t always remove the extractor, but still clean it after every 3-4 outings to the range.

As you identified, whether you choose to clean it each time or not, a close inspection of all parts after shooting is definitely warranted.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 8:54am
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I enjoy cleaning my M1 ( shooter) on a regular basis, The bolt can be the source of real problems as shown above if a through cleaning is not done. It is after all, the heart of the weapon.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 9:22am
I had been shooting the NPM pictured above pretty hard one day. A fellow range member and Carbine shooter wanted me to come down to the 100 yrd set up and shoot with him. When set up I seen what I thought was a piece of string from a wiping rag.... Or was it a scratch? Closer look revealed the cracked lug a N14. Set it aside and shot with a different carbine. Inspected later, both left and right receiver shoulders and left rail were fine.... no burrs, chips etc. Bolt lug had just gave way. Replaced and has been fine so far.

Couple weeks later another range member came up to show off his 'new' carbine to me. After a close look out in the sun light, sure enough I could see the exact same crack. His bolt? A N14. I swapped out his bolt with an extra I had with me and he shot trouble free.
That evening I was looking on Ebay trying to find him a bolt and ran across a cracked N14 being offered up. It too was cracked exactly like the first two were.

Of course it's not just N14 bolts or just Flat bolts. Be it Flat or Round the right lug is a weak spot.
BTW, my bolt tool came in handy by being able to strip my extra bolt so I could gage the other shooters head space.
Have also used the Bolt tool in the field to save the day when a Extractor chips or goes bye bye.
Yep, always keep a spare parts pouch with me when shooting.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
M1Seeker View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 9:02pm
Did the WW2 & Korea troops carry a bolt tool?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by M1Seeker M1Seeker wrote:

Did the WW2 & Korea troops carry a bolt tool?

No, the bolt tool was a 2d echelon maintenance tool, meaning that the using unit (Battalion level) armorers would have the tool.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply