Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blued, Park'd, White?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blued, Park'd, White?
    Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 11:15am
I'm determined to finish at least one CC Data Sheet and have picked my 1.819 S'G' due to the ongoing S'G' discussions in another thread.  First, I don't know who came up with the 15-30 minutes to do a data sheet because I spent more than that reinstalling the sear, trigger, and trigger spring.  None the less as I cruse into day 2 on this endeavor it's going pretty well but now is the BLUE, PARK or WHITE questions.  With the various wear patterns I'm not sure what I'm seeing.  I have taken a picture of all the major parts laid side-by-side to help differentiate shades since my picture abilities are still lacking.  The black background seemed to show the differences better but I have one with a white background if anyone's interested.  I'm fairly certain the slide and barrel/receiver are Park'd but the bolt and trigger housing, hammer, etc are where I need help for sure.   

Also Riesch and others have mentioned BLACK.  Is that just a really dark blued or does that fall into its own category?

Thanks!

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 1:52pm
My S'G' bolt is blued, some of the tiny parts are white if that is any help.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 6:36pm
It can be difficult to figure out the colors. However, as a wise man once told me, report what you see. Instead of "Park", try adding a qualifier like light or dark park. Some use Grey instead of park.

Some colors I have used in the past:

Blued
Black
Matte Black
Light/Medium/Dark Park
Light/Medium/Dark Grey
In The White

PS: When filling out a datasheet, I try to make it last as long as possible.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 9:01pm
Yea, whoever told you it takes 15-30 minutes to fill out a data sheet under exaggerated by about 1.5 hours give or take a few. Most of them take me about two hours, even with help from others.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 11:28pm
Maybe this needs to be moved somewhere more prominent.

several videos will help greatly on sear install. After a while you can assemble a trigger housing in under a minute. Another thing that helps is anyone plans on taking housings apart is to take a trigger to the hardware store and find a pin that in not as wide as the trigger. You can use this to push out trigger pin. take trigger pin to push that pin a bit more. Now the sear and spring stays in the trigger! You can also assemble the trigger, sear and spring with this and push unit into trigger spring, then just push the trigger pin it. Viola!

White means absence of finish.
There is also case hardening which is the rainbow effect from hardening, this is a variation of in the white

Blue/black would mean the traditional looking blue on firearms. mostly smaller pieces like bolts, hammers, triggers and pins etc.

For the most part the larger components were parked, but not in all cases.
From your picture I would say barrel/receiver and trigger housing look gray park. slide looks greenish park.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 5:52am
I didn't think about looking in the Maintenance discussions.  Maybe just add the link above to the Carbine Club Data Sheet topic?
Thanks

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 11:01am
It's worth mentioning of course that after 70 something years, the color of part or parts on these old war rifles has probably changed quite a lot or at least some. What's probably being reported now is not necessarily the color info that's being sought by the governing body of carbines.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Maybe this needs to be moved somewhere more prominent.

several videos will help greatly on sear install. After a while you can assemble a trigger housing in under a minute.

Even blindfolded if you get really good!

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2017 at 2:13pm
We where required to disassemble and reassemble our M1 carbines blindfolded when I was in the National Guard. I can still see myself straddling my bunk with nothing but a screw driver to loosen the barrel band.

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply