Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Sky?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 9:05pm
Old Sacramento armory ( or its divisions) also imported the Howa carbines. Markings seem consistent.

The high quality picture makes it stand out but consider how small these letters really are combined with that many seem to favor the top of the letters like Cali's which makes them harder to see.

cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Cali were any attempts made to remove the marks or is that how it looked after stamping? Looks like it might be hard to spot when in the stock. A great learning point for other knowing what and where to look. I have read importers became wise about where to put the marks so there were hard to spot.

no attempt to change/hide the stamp, looks like the die hit half on/half off the edge so the letters are just partial.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 9:05am
While we’re on import stamps, my Underwood is an Arlington Ordinance.  As best I can see with my magnifying glass it is stamped  ARL. ORD. ARLINGTON, VA located on bottom of barrel near front sight.  However, similar to the description for the ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA listed under IMPORTS on the Reference page, this one is missing part of the top of the stamp.  Is this different from what is being discussed on the reference page which does not mention the ARL. ORD. ARLINGTON, VA stamp as having part of it missing?  

As you can see this is a small stamp and from normal viewing distance looks like a scratch.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:07pm
Arlington can have the periods or absent of them. look at Imports page again, it lists both.

As to missing parts not being addressed. They were using a flat stamp on a round part. many are missing tops or bottoms. This is due to not holding the stamp square to the piece. In production the stampings were done on machines. Common to see half stamps with inspector marks. look at stock marks and the flats of SG and Inland barrels

For the imports pages I am sure Jim looked for the most clear and legible markings to represent the full marking
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 7:29pm
my other Winchester, a 5.7 has an Arl Orn stamp pretty much the same as the one above pic. I did have, at one time, an Inland and you needed a strong magnifing glass to make out the Arl Orn stamp, many describe this as just a scratch on the barrel.

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 10:04pm
From what I understand, most of Bluesky guns came from Korea, but read somewhere that some came from Israel, and maybe other locations. Any information on this? Old records?
Retired Army, 22 years.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 6:04am
Pretty sure all BLUE SKY came from Korea

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/imports.html
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 8:38am
Thanks.

Retired Army, 22 years.
HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2017 at 8:02pm
Both my 42 & 44 Inlands HAD blue sky stamped barrels.  My 44 shot so far right the sight was cranked all the way left just to get on paper. ME was reaching .303 so I opted to buy replacement barrel. Not knowing about the stamping issues I bought another barrel with 1.5ME & blue sky plastered on it. Guess what!?  Shot almost as bad.  Did research and found all the write ups.  Nope! Aint doing that kahkah again! The 42 was an OK shooter but ME was at high 2 to 3.  I found replacement Inland non-import barrels and changed 'em out.  My 44 zeroed at 100 yrds with 5 clicks left windage.  Haven't had chance to zero the 42 due to extractor or extractor spring failure. But, inital firing is looking really good.
Fortune Favors the Foolish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12