Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black colored stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black colored stocks
    Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 1:02pm
I have what I believe to be an replacement stock that is very dark in color, black in color . Trying to research why some stocks turn this dark? Also I saw a couple listed forsale and sellers stated that the dark color will clean up nice. I was thinking that's wasn't a good idea to clean it?   One issue I have is it doesn't have an handguard and I'm figuring it's going to be impossible to find one that dark.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 3:03pm
A lot of the Korean return stocks are dark brown if not out and out black. Trying to remove the dark finish can be very aggravating to one degree or another. I don't know if that was the issue you were talking about though.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 3:20pm
Linseed oil blackens in sunlight
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 3:39pm
Is it something that collectors leave in place or try to remove?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 7:43pm
If it's really bad, you can leave the stock outside on a hot summer day, and wipe off much of the oil that has darkened the stock. I've done this before. I've also heard of people using oven cleaner spray to almost completely remove the oil from the stock, but I have never tried it, and would want to research further before attempting.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 9:30pm
[QUOTE=David Albert]If it's really bad, you can leave the stock outside on a hot summer day, and wipe off much of the oil that has darkened the stock. I've done this before. I've also heard of people using oven cleaner spray to almost completely remove the oil from the stock, but I have never tried it, and would want to research further before attempting.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com[/QUOTE]

The research is right up there with putting your stock in a dishwasher. It will ruin your stock.

will draw out too much oil, the wood swells . you can sand and oil but never the same. Would be interesting to see first hand on a worthless stock though.

Re Linseed oil turning black. First I have heard. All war time production stocks were done with RLO. Was the only approved oil for the field. I would think we have seen more black stocks.
Now I have seen dirty grimed stocks, but RLO will emulsify old oil and remove the dirt.

Wood exposed to water high in minerals or salt water will turn the wood black.

Think we need pics!
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 10:34pm
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 10:41pm
This is the Only pic that I could make small enough to fit the max size
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 11:24pm
If you have a pc then there is a tutorial in first section on resizing.

If not you can email them to me and i will resize.

My user name at aol dot com

Is that a potbelly ? Looks like maybe a IR or RSG,
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 8:21am
If you're using a MAC, you can also download a free program such as "iResize" that will resize photos for you.

I have heard that the oven cleaner method can be used with different timings and results, but it is pretty drastic. It's not like putting a stock in a dishwasher. That would be a disaster. I would not want to use the oven cleaner method on a valuable stock. Again, I have not tried it myself, but have read about it several times in regards to refinishing Thompson wood.

The hot sun method can work wonders. You'd be surprised how much oil comes out of a stock when it's laid out on a backyard patio in 100 degree Texas heat. You can just wipe it off with a rag.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 8:40am
I had good luck steaming an old grimy SH-B stock. Old oil and grim dripped out of it and the smaller dings just about disappeared. Still retained nice original dark brown color, reoiled and looks good on an old carbine. I've been their look!!!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 10:18am
It's an RSG highwood. No visible cartouche unless it's buried under the dark finish, but I'm pretty sure there's none. It has repairs to the highwood which are solid but it needs some repair work in recoil plate area if I'm going to use it for a shooter. Someone mentioned to me that there's a member on here that's very good repairing m1 carbine stocks?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 12:31pm
The latest repairs I recall being discussed were the Topic: M1A1 Stock Cracks back in March of this year.  http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/m1a1-stock-cracks_topic2789_page1.html?KW=stock+repair
There is reference to a gentleman who does repairs and did one for the subject stock in this post.  See if this post has what you're looking for.

Good luck.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 5:16pm
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 11:38pm
Black Walnut is very high in Tannic Acid, especially the husks,  (all poisonous to other plants). Shucked husks have long been boiled and used as a wood and leather stain for hundreds of years. Black Walnut contains the mordant required to make it colorfast and again has long been used as an additive to other dyes and stains. Shuck some husks bare handed and you'll see what I mean.The high level of Tannic Acid in Black Walnut if left untouched (never cleaned, sealed.. etc) will continue to darken from brown to a black as time goes on.
Having been a Pro wood finisher for nearly 40yrs we'd often come across a run of Black Walnut much darker than other pieces in say a new 'Stair System'. Or maybe a few stair treads that had black foot steps on them from wet muddy boots before a seal coat was applied. We'd use a 2 part painters wood bleach on the darkest areas so they'd blend evenly in color with the rest when finishes were applied.

I've used this same method on stocks that you couldn't believe you could find any blacker version of. This 2 part wood bleach acts like Hydrogen Peroxide on Steroids. After applying, the wood needs to be neutralized (depending on the brand of 2 part bleach) Normally a light rinse or wipe of white vinegar will do.
It will lighten the whole stock, leaving a uniform natural color. Nearly like you had just split it. Sometimes a 2nd treatment is required, depending on your expectations.

I've found beautiful boxed RMC, UEF over GHD and WRA/GHD with CC stamps (among others) on wood I'd have bet my house on that were no longer marked. It also works very well at pulling old oil and painted rack numbers. More benefits to using this than paint and varnish strippers as the 2 part wood bleach works better without the grain lifting.

In short....... Don't rule markings out just because you can't see them through the black. No damage to wood fibers as these products are made for this type of use.It also works well at pulling black streaks and rust staining from around rough rusty buttplates.

Just trying to help....... Got no reason to lie about it.

HTH,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 7:57am
Charlie, thanks for the information. Always fascinating to hear from a carbine stock expert. They are a few here and other places and I've always appreciated hearing from them, especially the details.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:02pm
Charlie the 2 part bleach is what I'm seeing as (solution a bottle)(solution b bottle) ? Also I'm guessing it removes all the linseed oil? Thanks for sharing
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:23pm
Rich, the reason I knew it was a RSG or IR (same manufacturer) was due to the recoil plate gap.
There is a newsletter on recoil lockup and accuracy. I am unsure if the gap is a factor.

Is the stock truely black or just a dark brown?

Charlie will have to comment on bleach and oil. I would think it may have to be removed to a degree. Rubbing alcohol would make quick work of that.

But you may want to try what i suggested of using RLO to emulsify and remove crud. Apply, let sit a few minutes and then gently rub with soft lint free rag. To be a little more agressive try cut up denim jeans or the stretch part of an old sock.

Keep flipping and folding rages it gets dirty.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:28pm
New2brass.   Ugh yeah it drives me crazy lol.   Not sure if u can tell from this picture but it also sits way down also due to missing wood. That's what I'd like to get fixed actually
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:30pm
Yes,the bottom should be fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>