Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bavarian with 3 sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bavarian with 3 sights
    Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 1:55pm
I have a late NPM (4289XXX) that my Dad picked up around 1969/70.

All the components appear to be correct for NPM except for the stock, handguard, leather sling and type 3 rear sight.

One thing that is odd is that it has the forward receiver sight added by the Bavarians, as well as the rear sight I mentioned.

Would the Bavarians have kept the rear sight, or is that something that that the exporter or Century Arms (they are scrawled on the slide) would have added.

Provenance: One of my Dad's friends was a local sheriff that ordered (one too many) (at about $15 apiece) and gave it to my father when he received it, so any modification would have been done upstream before we received it.
crowtalks
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 4:36pm
The rear sights were removed when adding the notch sight. Is your receiver sight base grooved? See http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/oddities.html ; excellent resource.

There aren't many around that retain the notch sight so that's neat your rifle has that yet.
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 5:28pm
I had read they removed the original flip rear when they added the notch sight...so that makes sense, and means that either whomever ground the name off the receiver, the exporter (could be the same) or Century added the newer rear ramp.

I should have included pics...I will do that now.
crowtalks
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 5:51pm
You said they would have removed the USGI rear sight and that got me thinking...

The more I think about it...I'm pretty sure that Century as the importer would have been the agency to add the rear sight back into the dovetail.

The reason I believe they would have instead of the exporter(s), is at the time we acquired the rifle, those rifles could only be purchased by law enforcement agencies and they would have wanted the USGI style of rear sight.

Does that make sense to anyone else?
crowtalks
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

The rear sights were removed when adding the notch sight. Is your receiver sight base grooved? See http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/oddities.html ; excellent resource.

There aren't many around that retain the notch sight so that's neat your rifle has that yet.

Yes, the rear sight base is grooved on both sides of the dovetail.

I grew up cleaning and field stripping these rifles (among others), as my dad was constantly trading guns and we always had an M1 carbine around, I guess because it is what he carried in the Pacific.

When a local sheriff got one for my Dad, I noticed this gun was very odd compared to what I was used to (especially because of the notch sight and the rough barrel) and I asked Daddy to keep this one for me and in the intervening 50 years, it has probably had less than 1500 rounds run thru it, so it shows very little wear.
crowtalks
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 6:38pm
The Bavarian rear sights are soldered to the front ring. Many of them were removed and the front ring would sometimes have metal in the white with left over solder.
Today I would think the Bavarian sight is a plus to a collector
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 6:56pm
It makes sense to me that Century put the adjustable sight on. The CMP Bavarian returns through the Army included rifles where the notch sight had been removed and the ring was in the condition Dan describes. I never read anything about CMP removing them, so my assumption is they were removed while still in service and the standard USGI sight added back, perhaps by Austria? I'd think the same would have happened to yours if it were done back when the rifle was in military service.

Great looking Bavarian NPM you have there. I hope to eventually acquire a Bavarian with the notch sight intact, they are a neat variant.
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 7:11pm

It makes sense to me that Century put the adjustable sight on. The CMP Bavarian returns through the Army included rifles where the notch sight had been removed and the ring was in the condition Dan describes. I never read anything about CMP removing them, so my assumption is they were removed while still in service and the standard USGI sight added back, perhaps by Austria? I'd think the same would have happened to yours if it were done back when the rifle was in military service.

Great looking Bavarian NPM you have there. I hope to eventually acquire a Bavarian with the notch sight intact, they are a neat variant.

Thanks!

This is literally the only one I have ever seen, and when I 1st saw it at 16 I knew it was very odd indeed.

I'm think about picking up a TN stock and handguard as well as an early rear flip...I don't think i would ever change the rifle, but I would like to have it so I would have a correct NPM (except for the notch. of course)

Because of the lack of wear within the rifle I assume that the 1st time this late build NPM saw service was with the Austrians...just a speculation...
crowtalks
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 7:24pm
Just my $.02, but with the Bavarians the collector value is really in keeping them in the same condition as returned. If anything I'd just remove the adjustable sight, as it would then be authentic given the intact notch sight.
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 7:33pm

Just my $.02, but with the Bavarians the collector value is really in keeping them in the same condition as returned. If anything I'd just remove the adjustable sight, as it would then be authentic given the intact notch sight.

You know, I never thought about that, hmm...but I probably will keep it as is...

Thanks
crowtalks
 Post Reply Post Reply