Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bavarian CMP carbine with all Inland parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edpm301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bavarian CMP carbine with all Inland parts
    Posted: Mar 02 2016 at 11:05pm
I am not a carbine expert and I have just enough books to make me dangerous. I am looking for more informed opinions, so I have come to where the experts are, I hope.

I just received an M1 carbine from the recent CMP offering. It has an Inland receiver and barrel, SN 51569xx. The receiver is marked Bavaria Forestry Police - S and I have read the history of the Bavarian carbines. In fact, I have a Bavarian Forestry Police Underwood mixmaster from the first CMP Bavarian release.

I know that usually the Bavarian carbines were marked with three or four digits of the serial number on various parts of the gun. My Underwood is marked in that way. I also know that the Bavarian carbines that went through Austria usually had Austrian markings on the trigger housing, and my Underwood has that as well.

The Inland I just received doesn't have any of that. No additional markings. It only has the Bavaria Forestry Police - S stamping on the receiver. My first reaction was that the CMP had a naked barreled receiver that they then completed using parts from their parts bins, and that would explain why none of the parts on it now have three- or four-digit serial number stampings. But here is the strange part. Every single part that I can identify on the carbine appears not only to be Inland or Inland sub-contractor, but also period correct according to the reference books I have. The weapon as a whole appears to have been together for a long time, judging by the wear patterns and patina. The old, dried grease on the stock and hand guard match each other as well as to the metal parts. 

But if the CMP built the gun using spare parts, it would have to be a tremendous coincidence that all the parts in it now are correct for the gun.

As I said, I am not an expert and it's more than likely I have missed something, or my books have errors. But just for the sake of argument, however unlikely, let's say the parts are all correct.

Is it possible that a Bavarian-marked carbine did not receive any additional serial number stampings when the U.S. Army turned it over to the Bavarians, or is there another explanation for no additional stampings or Austrian markings other than it's a CMP-built gun and the matching parts and wear are just coincidental?

I would appreciate any insights.

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:04am
Hi,

Jim here, author of the BavarianM1Carbines.com website and the researcher who took on the project. I've been getting a number of inquiries the past few weeks related to carbines purchased from the CMP auctions lately that have Bavaria markings. Glad you asked so I can include some answers here.

The carbines being auctioned by CMP this past year were a 2nd shipment of returns to the U.S. Army by Austria. This 2nd shipment was the leftovers Austria rounded up. Many were incomplete carbines to varying degrees. Some were not serviceable. Some were complete but were in need of service. Happens every shipment to some degree but this one had the leftovers Austria had.

The armorers did what they armorers do. They inspect for safety then grade them using CMP protocols. If a carbine needs a different stock to make it a service grade, then it gets a different stock. Rack grade parts are held for use on rack grade carbines having service grade parts. The CMP armorers build functional carbines. Replacement parts are readily available.

Most of the armorers know little about carbines and which parts would be "correct" for a particular manufacturer and serial number. But a couple of them have taken an interest and have the knowledge it would take to reconstruct a carbine using the right parts. Not what they normally do, but I've seen it done. Usually it's only if it needs a couple parts to make it "correct", not an entire rebuild.

All of the carbines sold by CMP that have Bavaria markings came from the returns to the U.S. Army by Austria. All of the carbines used by Austria that have Bavaria markings were purchased and used by the Austrian Gendarmerie. The Austrian Gendarmerie religiously stamped the initials of the land/state gendarmerie to which the carbine was assigned along with a 4 digit number, together becoming their inventory numbers, into the bottom of the trigger housing.

As for numbers stamped or etched in various parts, most, but not all, of the Austrian gendarmerie carbines have some somewhere. What numbers were used, how many of them and the parts they were placed on varied by land/state and time period.

Before going to Austria, most of the Bavaria Forestry Police carbines have part of the serial number on the stock, handguard, slide, trigger housing and bolt. Including those in Swabia. I own one of them too.

Upgrading parts to a adjustable rear sight, barrel band with bayonet lug, rotary safety, M mag catch, etc varied from one agency to the next in Austria. A bit more common at least some parts were upgraded with the Bavaria Forestry police.

I've been monitoring the carbines up for auction and seems like most from the 2nd shipment with Bavaria markings have had parts replaced. The owners who have e-mailed me, about 5 or 6, all of them have had parts replaced from what Bavaria and/or Austria used.

Your trigger housing not having the gendarmerie markings indicates to me it's a replacement most likely done at CMP. Possibly to fill a void of what wasn't with it when they received it. If it is absent any numbers on any part I think it likely at least some of the parts were replacements.

So, that it has what are considered all correct for your carbine tells me someone at CMP built it that way.

Under Orest the policy was not to build "all correct" carbines. Just replace or repair what it took to make it safe and all service grade or all rack grade, etc. Carbines that couldn't make it to rack grade were disassembled for their parts.

I don't know what the policies are under Orest's replacement.

Jim

edpm301 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edpm301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 8:02am
Thanks very much, Jim. I appreciate the information.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2016 at 6:47pm
I have a CMP Austrian return Bavarian Rurual Police. The receiver is marked BRP, the bottom of the trigger housing is marked LGKST with a four digit number. No other markings like one would expect. I thought it wasn't correct and after reading Jim's Bavarian website and this thread, I now think it is o.k. Great information. Would be cool to see some pics of something from the current CMP release.
Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 2:43pm
Let me play devils advocate for a minute. It wasn't Orest's policy to build correct carbines. I agree. But, if there was a barreled receiver that was a Bavarian return and you had to pick from the parts bins to build up a rifle, it wouldn't be that hard to build a "correct" configured rifle. Inland parts are likely to be the most common in the bins. The Inland parts from the 5 million serial number range are common parts. If an armorer was bored, had a little knowledge, it wouldn't be hard to build up a correct parts gun with those resources. By looking at parts for amount of wear and patina, you might be able to rule out this possibility. Are the parts that are expected to be DuLite finished, DuLite or parked?   
edpm301 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edpm301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 5:34pm
Without taking things completely apart again, it appears that the bolt, extractor, firing pin, trigger, sear, push-button safety, and hammer are blued. I'm not sure which are supposed to be blued and which are supposed to be parkerized.

From what I can pull from the Riesch book, the parts are not only all Inland, but they appear to fall into the correct ranges for the serial number. (Once again, I am not an expert so I may be wrong.) If this was a CMP put-together gun, which I agree is more likely than being an original gun, my compliments to the armorer.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 6:24pm
CMP has undergone some significant changes with the armorers after they ran out of carbines and the number of Garands has dwindled. They had hired and trained extras just before the 1st returns from Austria.

I don't know any of them personally, just the interactions I had with them for two weeks on one trip and a week on a second trip. I saw one fella who could build it all correct from his experience and level of interest, with a second learning from him. In addition to the head carbine armorer, who isn't there anymore. There were a half dozen more armorers working the Austria returns who didn't have the knowledge or interest.

Management policy is management's policy. On an operational level sometimes management policies get circumvented. Now is different than then, and then they stuck to the policy most of the time, but not all of the time.

Me, I'm into leaving history as is. Already we're seeing more reconstructed carbines than originals on places like Gunbroker.   
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 9:38pm
I just bought a CMP Rockola Bavarian. It has Bavarian Rural Police on the rail. There marking ever where of the last 4 digits of the S/N and also has tiny Flaming bombs. The Tracking shows its coming tomorrow, but have all the pictures. I have the GB page where you can see every picture. This is my first and been reading Jim ' s Website about Bavarian. Are you suppose to leave these alone and not change out any parts. It's a Select Grade and what the difference in grades from CMP. and is very nice. The CMP Paperwork is from 2009 and the owner said he has not tried to change anything on it. It has a NPM Stock and I have a Nice Rockola Stock should I leave it like that or can I change the Stocks. TIA

Frank

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 10:20pm
Trying to change out parts on a Bavarian carbine is a near senseless endeavor. Between the usual black oxide refinish jobs and the partial serial numbers often stamped about near every part, why bother? It's not going to increase the value any and also remember, Bavarian carbines are niche guns to a degree. Some people love them while others don't feel so warm and fuzzy about them.

OP, post some pictures of your Inland and let us see. There are subtle nuances that one of us might pick up on that you won't. There were some parts changes going on consisting of bolts, barrel bands and rear sights.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 10:24pm
I not changing it cause its impossible...but the Stock is different. That's one thing that's not numbered unless I missed it. I like it for what it was and I didn't buy to correct it. I just wanted to know if people change out parts on these.
Frank

moneawon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneawon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 10:31pm
@epdm301 - Would be great to see some pics.

Here are a few pics of an Underwood Rural Police.

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 10:38pm
It has those same markings, but your Bavarian Rural Police looks a little
better, there some scratches on mine where it says Bavarian Rural Police.. when I pick it up tomorrow (if he calls) I will post pics.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2016 at 11:36pm
Here's a couple from the pictures I saw before I bought it. It has a Type 2 Barrel Band with no signs of Type 3 with Lug. I will post a lot more when I pick it up.[URL= ][/URL]
Frank

edpm301 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edpm301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 12:52am
Here are some photos of the inland. Sorry about the quality; they are just phone shots with a flash.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 12:09pm
Great pics and nice carbines everyone! Very nice looking Austrian/Bavarian returns.

@imntxs564 - What's the barrel date/manufacturer?

@edpm301 - Great Inland stock.  When I see that SN range I always picture an M1A1. 
Anyone know why the front sight has been tapped? Is that something done while it was in Bavaria or Austria? I've never seen that before. Would love to know what went in there.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 12:51pm
The Barrel is a Undated Rockola....but it falls right around '43-'44. and it blued like most of the Carbine. It also has a Type 2 BB.
Frank

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 6:49pm
Frank,

Your carbine was issued to the police in Bavaria in 1946 or 1947 (most likely 1946) by the U.S. Office of Military Government (OMGUS) for Bavaria. OMGUS obtained it from an Ordnance storage depot in western Europe where it had been stored since the end of the war in the European Theater.

The 1052 on the bolt, slide, stock and trigger housing were put there by the Bavarian Landpolizei (Rural Police) when they received it. Meaning those parts that have this 1052 were on the carbine when Bavaria received it. 1052 should also be stamped inside the handguard.

Bavaria began disposing of their carbines as early as 1952. Initial orders were the Bavaria Police markings were to be removed before the carbines were turned over to whoever they went too. Which is why yours has the grind marks over the Bavaria Rural Police markings. At some point Bavaria stopped doing this as most do not have the grind marks. My guess is the amount of time and manpower involved in removing the markings became too much given the quantities they were out-processing.

The gendarmerie in Austria had been allocated carbines Austria received from U.S. forces in Austria but not enough to meet their needs given they were the largest law enforcement agency in Austria. In 1955 the Austrian gendarmerie purchased 2000 carbines from Bavaria. They made at least one more purchase of 2000+ from Bavaria, probably in 1956.

The LKST over 0284 means Landes Gendarmerie Kommand Steirmark with 0284 being the inventory number for the gendarmerie in Steirmark, Austria. Steirmark is the second largest land/state in Austria. They call it "Land", our version is "State". In 1958 (during the beginning of a growth spurt post WWII) Steirmark had 1,765 officers stationed in 245 police posts (stations) throughout Steirmark for a population of over 1.2 million residents. Most of Steirmark is rural and as with much of Austria, mountainous. Gendarmerie being the rural police this was their area of responsibility, along with assisting with border duties. Cities were handled by what was then a different police force, the Bundespolizei. Austria didn't have a version of our U.S. Border Patrol, they used the gendarmerie and their version of Customs, Zoll. Zoll also had U.S. Carbines.

The highest inventory number I have for the gendarmerie in Steirmark is 2402. This was based on my work on the 1st shipment CMP received which was over 7000 carbines. The 2nd shipment of about 1300 carbines I didn't have access too but my guess it they didn't go much higher. A couple hundred if that.

The gendarmerie in Steirmark did not remove any markings the Bavarians had placed on their carbines. If the parts had part of the serial number already, Steirmark didn't add any additional markings. Steirmark didn't change the parts on their carbines unless something needed to be replaced. They didn't rebuild their carbines or upgrade them unless a part needed to be replaced and they had a later version of the part.

Steirmark

Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 6:55pm
A little history of the return of the carbines used by Austria and a few things at CMP.....

The process of turning in carbines started at the land/state agency they had been issued too. The Steirmark gendarmerie crated theirs up, as did the other land/states separately. Whether they sent them to the gendarmerie armory in Vienna or straight to the Austrian Bundesheer I don't know, but the Bundesheer ended up with all the U.S. Carbines used by all the Austrian gendarmerie, Bundespolizei, Zoll and the Bundesheer themselves.

In 1994 the U.S. importer INTRAC purchased over 7000 carbines from Austria and imported them into the USA. The carbines they received had been used by the Bundesheer, Bundespolizei, the Austrian gendarmerie in the land/states of Salzburg and NiederÖsterreich, and the gendarmerie HQ in Vienna. after selling most of the first shipment (wholesale to Centerfire Systems and Tennessee Guns) INTRAC purchased the remaining carbines Austria had (over 8000). But before they could import them the Clinton administration implemented a policy change within the Dept. of State that blocked the import of U.S. military weapons purchased or provided to other nations as military assistance.

Austria retained the carbines INTRAC had wanted to import.

Euroarms in Italy purchased over 3800 of these U.S. Carbines from Austria, all has been used by Zoll and have their markings.

Austria returned over 7000 carbines to the U.S. Army in 2008 who passed all of them on to CMP in December 2008. Included were carbines used by the:

Bundesheer
    no Austria markings
        some had hang tags labeled BMfLV (Bundesminister für Landesverteidigung - Federal Minister for National Defense)
Bundespolizei
    no Austria markings
Gendarmerie land/states of:
    Kärnten (Carinthia)
        LGK K
    OberoÖsterreich (Upper Austria)
        LGK OÖ
    Steiermark
        LGK ST
    Tirol
        LGK T
    Vorarlberg
        LGK V

Keep in mind many of the carbines used by the gendarmerie in Austria had been purchased direct from Bavaria 1955/56 and also have their German markings.

As the Democrat political party took control of all three branches of U.S. Government in January 2009, CMP anticipated challenges to their continued existence given the current political climate and their past experiences with the Clinton administration in the 1990's. The end result of that experience resulted in the retirement of the DCM and the birth of the CMP.

The decision was made to finish the carbines they had and end the carbine program at CMP until the political winds changed. The armorers worked on the first shipment of the returns from Austria from February through July or August 2009. Sales began in September or October of 2009. In the meantime CMP had received an additional shipment of carbines Uruguay returned to the U.S. Army. After processing these CMP ended their Carbine program. The remaining carbines were sold at auction. The head carbine armorer retired with the remaining armorers working on the M1 Garands.

In late 2013/early 2014 Austria returned approximately 1300 more carbines to the U.S. Army who passed them on to CMP. These were leftovers that had not been crated with the others due to their need for repairs, service, parts, etc. They were from the same Austrian agencies as the first shipment.

Given the quantity along with the lack of carbine armorers, their work area/tools etc, CMP elected to auction this second shipment. They had a couple armorers with the knowledge and experience to work the carbines who were working the Garands. Historically the person who handled the auctions worked the auction carbines. If needed, assistance was obtained from other armorers.

When the carbines from this second shipment from Austria first appeared on the CMP auctions they had not been graded. They started with the ones that required the least amount of work, and auctioned them as is. As an example, here's one I bid on and obtained in June 2014. The hang tag identified it as having been used by the Bundesheer.

CMP Auction of M1 Carbine used by Bundesheer

At some point they began grading them again. My guess is this happened as they got to those requiring parts, repairs, etc. But just a guess. Those listed without a grade I'm sure they safety inspected. SOP.

Jim
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2016 at 7:10pm
Thank You James...It also has markings on the Bolt, Slide, Sling Well, Hand guard and the inside the Trigger Guard. The Stock is Ruffled up a bit, but I'm leaving it on there even though I have a Nice Rockola Stock just sitting here for over year. Thanks for the email.

Semper Fi

Frank
Frank

Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2016 at 2:12pm
I also noticed the tapped hole drilled in the top of the front sight. I wonder if this was something done to address a loose front sight. I don't think the Austrians or Bavarians had access to much in the way of repair parts. I have seen roll pins used to hold the front sights in place instead of the normal front sight pins. I have seen unusual repairs done to sling swivels. Many of these repairs were complex and took much more time and effort that replacing with a spare part. Maybe they didn't have access to the front sight keys to keep the front sight from wobbling. The front sight could have been taken off, drilled and tapped, and a set screw used to tighten up a loose fitting front sight when a replacement key wasn't available. Anything similar to that key available in post-war Germany would have been metric in dimension wouldn't have worked well. Bet it is more than even chances that the thread size of that hole is metric and not US.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>