The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Shims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Shims
    Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 2:46pm
There is a thread here on the forum concerning the use of shims or barrel peening to adjust indexing draw. I did not want to clutter-up that thread, so I thought we could start a new one.

I knew that both peening and shims have been used to time Garand barrels regularly and carbines occasionally, or so I think. I am just a bit curious as to the frequency of this adjustment in the carbine world. I have a mindset that suggest anything requiring a shim must be worn out or broken. On the other hand, I think that any bolted connection requires a washer under the bolt-head and the nut. Help me out of this mental dilemma. 

Are shims or barrel-peening more common than I think they are?

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 3:23pm
Why use a washer? Many possible reasons but using a washer for spacing, whether between new parts or worn(out) parts, is perfectly legitimate.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

There is a thread here on the forum concerning the use of shims or barrel peening to adjust indexing draw. I did not want to clutter-up that thread, so I thought we could start a new one.

I knew that both peening and shims have been used to time Garand barrels regularly and carbines occasionally, or so I think. I am just a bit curious as to the frequency of this adjustment in the carbine world. I have a mindset that suggest anything requiring a shim must be worn out or broken. On the other hand, I think that any bolted connection requires a washer under the bolt-head and the nut. Help me out of this mental dilemma. 

Are shims or barrel-peening more common than I think they are?

With the washer you don't have to hammer the barrel so someone might have a preference of not altering the barrel. My initial problem was with an IP and the very specific barrels they used. It took a pretty thick shim. The one I'm doing now probably will want a little thinner one.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply