Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel not marked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deevemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel not marked
    Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 9:32pm
I'm considering buying a Saginaw that's on an auction site. When I asked about the barrel marking, I was told "There is not one.  The arsenal did not alway install barrels that had a manufactures marking."

My understanding is that all USGI carbine manufacturers were required to mark their barrels.

Is it possible that during Ordnance rebuild post-WWII that a replacement barrel that was not marked was used?

Thanks
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 8:53am
I'd be careful with that one. could be a Post ordnance rebuild, not rebuilt by the army at all. If your buying it for a shooter, have it checked by a carbine expert before purchase, If as a collector piece, forget it.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

deevemon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deevemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 4:01pm
Thank you, Charles. I am looking for a shooter, not one thats now or likely to soon become a collector's gun. But I do want one that's representative of a USGI rifle that went through the Ordnance rebuild.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 4:52pm
Definitely a fun gun to own.
Welcome to the forum.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 7:33pm
There is a supplier of commercial barrels that are not marked which some humpers put marks on and sell. Gas cylinder is the key to figuring them.
Erma Worke also made barrels for overseas rebuild
Again the cylinder or swage is the key.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 7:21pm
Another issue, and this is the one I would be afraid of, Is that commercial companies early on took the demilled barrels, bored out the rear half and soldered in a 1903/1903a3 barrel that has been modified.
Other commercial manufactures took the 1903/1909a3 barrels and machined them down and soldered or welded on new made gas cylinders.

I think a few Inland barrels have been observed with no marking up front, but would expect to see marks on the flat and/or the top of the breech.

Bottom line it should be carefully inspected and with the exception of a unmarked Inland the value goes down.

deevemon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deevemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 10:06pm
Thanks, New2Brass, for this addtional info. Everything offered sure helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply