Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel ID Assistance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 4:30pm
Thanks for all the info guys. For what it's worth the receiver is an S'G' with no rear sight staking. 355xxxx
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 4:51pm
I wonder if it is possible that it is a 1903A3 barrel converted to a carbine barrel? Regardless, I have to stop staring at these pictures for awhile as I am starting to see things.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 5:11pm
saganaw has sparse markings on the flat.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 5:27pm
I'm not ready to give up yet. How far is the proof mark from the muzzle? With a Type 1 barrel band I would expect the proof mark on an original barrel to be more than 4" from the muzzle. If less it may be a replacement. It very well could be the original Saginaw barrel. Saginaw barrels had fewer marks on the flat than the typical Inland, but at least a couple like this barrel. From the picture of the receiver it looks like the carbine maybe has been polished and possibly refinished. If so, the original markings could have been polished off. What is the condition of the rest of the carbine?

Good point Wayne. How many lands and grooves? An '03 reline might only have two instead of four.

Now my eyes need rest.    
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 5:57pm
03 could also have 6
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 6:08pm
I will try and gather more intel when I get back to house and share more pics. Yes someone polished or refinished. The odd thing is below stock line receiver appears not polished, just dark dull original park. The band is T1 2 weld scars. It's SAMCO import marked but suspecting not from the 2012 batch but who knows. Stock is Inland potbelly HI with lots of character and only see T1 band marks, TH is IBM, hammer is rock, sear is RIA, trigger is Win, flat QHMC bolt with SG internals, front sight N, rear sight T3, slide is another piece sparse of marks. What I can remember at moment.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 8:09pm

Some more...
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 8:16pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 8:21pm
I suspect it is the original Saginaw barrel.
JackP
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 8:25pm
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 8:32pm
Any idea who made the slide?..see pic post early for inside well of slide...what tool milled that thing out? 
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 9:49pm
Thank you Jack; the overall look/patina did give me the impression barrel was original to receiver but I was leaning towards rock or buffalo when I found what appeared to be an A in approx  location where rock or buffalo A would be and swaged gas cylinder but with barrel being smooth I was leaning towards rock. Then there was discovery of the S. Always learning and that's what makes this such a fun hobby. Really appreciate everyone's help with this.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

Any idea who made the slide?..see pic post early for inside well of slide...what tool milled that thing out?

If you look carefully at all thw swirls inside the box, it's not too hard to see the S'G' stamped there indicating that your slide was made at Grand Rapids
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 11:23pm
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 11:28pm

Yep @blackfish found it but tenOCEE beat me.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2019 at 11:34pm
So I feel like my new to me Saginaw S'G' parts marking mysterious are solved and I have increased my carbine knowledge another step from the great forum interaction. Thanks again everyone.
-Dave
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 7:59am
Aside, browsing your pictures it looks like there may be a chip out of the left bolt locking lug shoulder on the receiver. Also may want the check the rail for a burr.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 8:51am
I don't see a chip missing at left lug locking shoulder, when comparing to other recievers I have on complete guns. The top of the shoulder where the left lug comes to rest out of battery I guess its called is a bit shiny from lack of finish which does show up in pictures pretty prominetaly. I will deffinately being going over it for burrs etc. Thanks for looking out @GotSnlB28.
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 9:15am
SAMCO bankruptcy filing.
https://app.courtdrive.com/filings/flsbke_690531-1-15-bk-31296-samco-global-arms-inc

SAMCO bankruptcy auction pictures and information.
http://www.stamplerauctions.com/auction/280410/samco-global-arms-firearms/

Old CMP thread link during the sales of 2012 batch from SAMCO.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=88687

Makes me wonder if it was in one of the piles in there. Noticed from other pictures they also had some various shop equipment and could have been the source of buffing. Also may have been one sold by SAMCO in 2012 or previously. If anyone has examples of SAMCO imported carbines in there collection would love to see them; maybe a SAMCO MIA FL thread is in order?

Note: I did purchase the SAMCO imported S'G' from a FL resident, after discovering it in an Arms classified ad on the net last week.

Edited by ncin1911 - Jul 21 2019 at 10:50am
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by ncin1911 ncin1911 wrote:

I don't see a chip missing at left lug locking shoulder, when comparing to other recievers I have on complete guns. The top of the shoulder where the left lug comes to rest out of battery I guess its called is a bit shiny from lack of finish which does show up in pictures pretty prominetaly. I will deffinately being going over it for burrs etc. Thanks for looking out @GotSnlB28.

Ok, hopefully that dark triange with sharp edges is just something in the picture... but the edges are sharp enough that it had me concerned. To illustrate, here is what I saw and the same spot on a rifle I had handy.
https://imgur.com/a/nzSCvbY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>