Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Band?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel Band?
    Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 9:59am
What type barrel band doesn't have the bayonet lug integral? Does this type affect accuracy, and how hard is one to come by?...
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 10:40am
Type 1 is a narrow band used on early carbines. Type 2 is a wide band, like the late type 3 with bayonet lug, but without the forward extension or lug. They type 2 holds the barrel more tightly than the type 1 and helps increase accuracy. These were used mid production for a relatively short time. They are harder to find and are  fairly pricey.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 4:55pm
Federal Armory...$19.95...or saw off the bayonet lug on a Plainfield type III band...
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 5:03pm
Not sure what "Federal Armory" is but at $19.95, suspect a really crappy reproduction. Read the link below for info on barrel bands.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
345 desoto View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 345 desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 9:41pm
CORRECTION..."Federal Armory" should be "Fulton Armory". It seems the type III barrel band contributes to better accuracy, than the type II. And Fulton parts don't appear to be "really crappy reproductions"...
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2020 at 9:42pm
@ 345 Desoto,

I bought 2 Reproduction Type II barrel bands years ago to see if we could mount one on a friends Grandson's shotgun. 2 in case I screwed up 1 of them. It worked and I still have the other.
It's a Dark blued color. I'd let you have it for what it costs to ship to you...... Say $8.00 ?
Then you can save your real Plainfield band.

Let me know if interested by PM.
ADD: I can try pictures Tuesday if the Wife will help.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply