Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel band real or fake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel band real or fake
    Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 10:38am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 12:21pm
I won’t make a call on this one, but fakers are getting much better. Down to multiple spot welds and proper screws that show a little wear. The roll-marks can tell-the-tale as well as the finish.

I have read posts from people that profess to know have differing opinions. It often comes down to “I think so”, or “pretty sure”.

Obvious ones with one spot weld or improper screws are easy to spot. I think in some cases you have to have it in your hands to tell and then it could just be an opinion.
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 12:45pm
I like it. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 3:22pm
That might be your only needed deciding factor.

Put it on the carbine and don’t worry anymore. If it’s not, it’s close enough.
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 6:00pm
I’ve haven’t had any bad experiences with this seller. I’m getting a good feeling about the band. But, like most cases, easier to say with it in hand.  I’ve purchased a few legit bands from this seller. Both type one and type two. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 6:16pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 6:34pm
well, at this point I may reconsider doing any further business with him. I didn’t know he was already discussed on the forum. It’s been quite a while since I’ve purchased anything from him. 
Arbo34 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 6:47pm
I’ve seen a couple forums like that and he seems to have mixed reviews.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 7:27pm
I have to hold my nose and bite my tongue when I interact with sleazy car salesmen. Despite that I usually wind up with a car. I consider myself only a journeyman (small step above an apprentice) in terms of ID’ing humped parts, but if that band is fake, somebody went to a lot of trouble to make it look real.

Have not heard anyone definitely call it fake yet. If I chanced it, it would not be for more than his starting price and I think he offers returns. 

And NO….I am not kin to him!😁
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 10:11am
Generally, most of MSH's stuff is fine...probably on the overpriced side but mainly legit. Factor in though he can be an oversensitive douchebag as well as someone that goes the extra few inches for a sale.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 10:51am
Being as green as they come, I have to ask; how on earth would one fake a part like this? I don't see any way one could buy a repro and alter it to look like an original because of the spot welds. So to my way of thinking that leaves someone tooling up and producing them from scratch, then somehow finishing them so they appeared to be almost 80 years old. All so the part could be sold for $135. With the market for such parts being relatively miniscule and repros so inexpensive, I don't see how it would ever pay off.

Am I thinking in terms that are much too simple??
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 1:07pm
The fakers seem to have caught on to the spot-weld feature. Most fakes have only one scar on top of the band, which is a dead giveaway. The screw is another obvious thing to look for. Lately I have seen two and three scar welds with correct looking screws be disclaimed as original due to the finish. The one mentioned in this thread has definitely been on a carbine. The hand guard wear spot seems obvious to me. Somebody that can fake that by figuring out where wear-spots should be is a real artist.

There are surely enthusiast here that can discount a band based on it’s finish and I can too if it’s obvious…..but it seems to be getting harder.
Arbo34 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 8:00pm
looks like someone hit the buy it now for $176. Thanks all that replied I definitely learned alittle bit more about type 1 bands. That price was alittle much for something I wasn’t sure about.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Connor38 Connor38 wrote:

I’ve haven’t had any bad experiences with this seller. I’m getting a good feeling about the band. But, like most cases, easier to say with it in hand.  I’ve purchased a few legit bands from this seller. Both type one and type two. 

That seller is notoriously a flipper of reproduction parts and getting belligerent when informed about selling such. He buys stuff and parts it out not caring if the parts are real.

I've bought from him and would again BUT ONLY if I can determine the parts are real. Don't rely on his descriptions.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Originally posted by Connor38 Connor38 wrote:

That seller is notoriously a flipper of reproduction parts and getting belligerent when informed about selling such. He buys stuff and parts it out not caring if the parts are real.

I've bought from him and would again BUT ONLY if I can determine the parts are real. Don't rely on his descriptions.

Thanks for the info! I never knew he was like that, but I appreciate y’all sayin so. 
 Post Reply Post Reply