Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barn find near Margraten Us Cemetery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barn find near Margraten Us Cemetery
    Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 3:46pm
This little pouch was found years ago on the attic of a hay store near the village Margraten (Netherlands).
I got this pouch this afternoon from a good friend of my dad who lives there in the area.
This older gentleman found it cleaning up the attic of his farm.
this farm is only 2 Km away from the Us Cemetery in the town Margraten.
Content of the pouch see pictures.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 4:43pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 10:31am
Interesting combination. That recoil plate is polished, not a original finish. It was probably on one of the carbines that were used and refinished by the Bavarian or Austrians.

The gas cylinder is not a piece that is replaceable. Quite possible it was removed from a carbine to render it a manual action. It seems that some countries have rules on civilian ownership of military rifles where certain features are not allowed. This to include semi-automatic operation.

How is the magazine catch marked?

Superdort View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2021 at 3:48pm
Marking on the magazine catch is PR-B. When i am right this is a type 3 from IBM.
See Picture.

I called the gentleman this afternoon and asked him when he found it. He told me that it had come out in the early 1970s during a remodeling of the attic. At the time, it was put in a box that has now emerged in the process of cleaning up. 
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 10:42am
That kind of devotion and love of mankind is becoming rare these days.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Barbasol View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbasol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2021 at 2:34pm
That is a nice find. it is very rewarding to stay in touch with the elderly in our region because they are a source of history (and sometimes a nice gift). for example the my wife's uncle showed me a genuine copy of Mein Kampf, which his parents probably got at the time that the Germans were quatered in their farm.
 Post Reply Post Reply