Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BA barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BA barrel
    Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 9:30pm
I recently purchased this Buffalo Arms 10-43 dated barrel. Its a bit odd in that it's polished blue but otherwise the barrel appears unused to me. There is no wear in the muzzle, no signs of a front sight ever being put on, or a barrel band. Gas cylinder in the white with no signs of use or staking. Chamber in the white and no signs of use. The usual BA markings otherwise. Proof "P" 4.75" from the muzzle. Anyone have thoughts on original use or the polished blue finish?

https://imgur.com/a/HWA3wrp

Edited by New2brass - Apr 08 2020 at 12:24pm
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 10:50pm
I've never seen a BA barrel that was polished originally, nor blue.
Not likely to be original, too bad- was probably a nice barrel.
Don
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2020 at 9:52am
Strip the blueing and refinish, can't hurt.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 6:32pm
What I find interesting is that this barrel doesn't have the usual signs of refinishing or sporterization. If it was refinished someone went to great lengths to keep the inner parts in the white and strip the old finish so as not to degrade the milling or stampings. It's certainly not normal, but I have to wonder if it was a demo part or presentation of some sort?
Yes, I can parkerize it and it should be a great shooting barrel but I'd hate to do that and then later regret it.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 7:55pm
If it were mine I wouldn't change a thing. One thing that I have noticed is any thing may be possible with a carbine part. Chamber being in the white would certainly suggest the barrel was blued before chamber work. It seems the more I learn about carbines the less I know.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2020 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

If it were mine I wouldn't change a thing. One thing that I have noticed is any thing may be possible with a carbine part. Chamber being in the white would certainly suggest the barrel was blued before chamber work. It seems the more I learn about carbines the less I know.

Or the barrel was plugged when it was hot blued.

But you are correct, anything is possible-just not probable.
Don
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 10:37am
looking at the gas chamber the edges look "soft" as if some polishing. Is the pitting below the blue?
Looking at the muzzle it also appears to have some work.

Maybe they chemically stripped the parkerizing?
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 11:09am
One cannot chemically strip Parkerizing, it is a layer of phosphate deposited on the somewhat etched surface.

I think I see evidence of fine wire wheel used to remove the original finish; in the areas that you point out. The blued barrel is too "shiny" for military use- JMHO.
Don
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

One cannot chemically strip Parkerizing, it is a layer of phosphate deposited on the somewhat etched surface.

I think I see evidence of fine wire wheel used to remove the original finish; in the areas that you point out. The blued barrel is too "shiny" for military use- JMHO.

are you sure on that?Approve
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 1:03pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 2:16pm
Evapo-Rust from harbor freight will also remove parkerizing
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 2:33pm
so will most acids
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 3:30pm
Ok,
Like any general statement, I was wrong- but...
Parkerizing and similar phosphate finishes are achieved by the action of dilute phosphoric acid along with zinc or manganese to achieve a thin layer of zinc or manganese phosphate. The phosphate etches the metal and the phosphate coating actually adheres , i.e. is physically attached to the metal.

If one uses a strong enough acid to dissolve the phosphate coating, the metal will also be etched again- i.e. some surface molecules of the steel will be dissolved away also.

Note the instructions for the stripper caution the user to "keep a close watch"; or else you will dissolve away your part.

So yes if one uses a big enough "hammer" , i.e. strong acid- maybe like muriatic(HCl) or sulfuric the surface treatment and a bit of the surface is removed.

I do believe that in the case of the OP, the coating was physically removed(wire wheel).

Sorry for the oversimplification, but I "used to be" a chemist and knew then more than I can now remember!Ouch

Don
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 4:09pm
vinegar works which is a very dilute (5%) solution of a weak acid. i even ingest it with with no harm. yum
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

vinegar works which is a very dilute (5%) solution of a weak acid. i even ingest it with with no harm. yum

Pickle juice!

I sit corrected.
Don
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 4:55pm
Hmm, I was trying to vauge as to what removes parkerizing. Better the humpers continue to sandblast.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

looking at the gas chamber the edges look "soft" as if some polishing. Is the pitting below the blue?
Looking at the muzzle it also appears to have some work.

Maybe they chemically stripped the parkerizing?

There are a couple of spots with real light pitting and it appears to be over the blue (after the fact). Muzzle crown is normal, it's the picture. I was trying to show how sharp the rifling is, tooling marks are visible with no wear.

No strong evidence of brushing. It could have been chemically stripped.

At this point, hard to determine the circumstances I think and the most likely is an old refinish of an, at the time, new barrel. Threads have the blue finish too so it was probably plugged and dipped.
 Post Reply Post Reply