Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AYP Marked 30rd Magazine Mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AYP Marked 30rd Magazine Mystery
    Posted: Nov 19 2016 at 10:53pm
In Regard to the M1 Carbine 30rd magazines marked "AYP" I am searching for information. These magazines (apart from fakes) are very high quality and are equal to USGI. I own several myself.

Sometime back, 2007 give or take a year or so, they were "confirmed" as being manufactured by FN in Europe. Before that time period they were of unknown or of unconfirmed manufacture.

I am not doubting the manufacturer as FN, but would very much like to know what facts / who confirmed it and with what evidence.

I talked to Mike at the CMP Armory about this question since on the CMP site, the info page on 30 rounders states that they are indeed FN manufacture. Great! What is the facts and info to prove it??

You see I love the history part, the connection. That's more valuable to me.

Hypothetically, I'm assuming the were probably made / ordered post WW2 for the French fighting in Indochina, or afterward in Algeria with the thousands of M1/M2 Carbines they possessed.

CHIME IN!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2016 at 11:45am
FYI, there are real and fake AYP magazines out there!
in CCLN 332 from 2006 reported that the AYP magazines were coming out of Belgium.  I have seen no proof that they were made by Fabrigue National. If they were I would think they would be marked FN.
Then again I have little experience with FN. Was FN known to manufacture something with any other markings?
My thought would possibly be a sub contractor?
Possibly FN contract for some entity with the AYP initials?

The original AYP mags have been reported in quality between commercial and USGI

Relevant searches show AYP as being a French Airport as well as an Armenian radio station in France.
Maybe one of our European members can chime in.
Key is to figure what AYP stands for. and is it AYP or characters that look like AYP?
thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2016 at 1:46pm
New2brass,
    A proper AYP marked mag is a great magazine if one is fortunate enough to have one or more, very robust and reliable.     
    Yes AYP fakes are out there, however once one is spun up on a proper / correct AYP mag, (CMP's writeup 30 carbine mag ID page) and the particular method in which the AYP is stamped rather uniquely, fakes are easy to ID. *Also the fake AYP 30 rounders always have feed lips that are too far apart and no reliability. Magazine lips are proper at 11mm in width. Not to many (really almost all) after-market M1 carbine 30rd magazines are manufactured with the proper feed lip width.
    Also, I have AYP mags with different, for lack of terminology... "AYP" strike width/depth but consider them not to be fakes as the bodies are completely identical in construction. I attribute that to different runs of magazines, or when the stamp wore out it was replaced with another. Just my take on it.
    The AYP stamp is a mystery currently what it stands for or represents. Sure would like to know though.
    I'm just looking for the evidence that supposedly confirmed them as FN.   
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2016 at 3:38pm
Can someone post a photo of the AYP marking? I just took a look at the seven 30 round magazines I have, and none were from this manufacturer.

I looked in "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks," and did not find AYP listed anywhere. There was a French mark of "AYF," but the Y was stylized, and none of the references I've found online for AYP associated with Carbine magazines mention any sort of stylized marking.

I also looked through "The FAL Rifle," thinking that FN might have marked something else in this manner, and I did not find anything. There is a new book on FN Rifles coming out soon by Anthony Vanderlinden that could be another resource for documenting various FN markings.

The "AYP" airport code is for an airport in Peru.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2016 at 12:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply