Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Audie Murphy gift carbine (2012)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audie Murphy gift carbine (2012)
    Posted: Feb 04 2021 at 8:58pm
Was this noted by the club?
I thought it was interesting. 
Posted Dec 19, 2012   I presume it was sold although not listed in their 'sold' category.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2021 at 11:21pm
The LS&B Auction web domain literally just expired (about 9hours ago) because they failed to re-register it.... so most people may not be able to see the link. Here is the original content in case it permanently disappears:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audie Murphy’s M1 Carbine Gift To DFC Recipient George D. Mclvor – For Sale At LSB

Taking Stock #26

Wyatt Earp’s Colt, Hickock’s Navies, Frank Jame’s S&W, Sgt. York’s Enfield, Patton;s Colt… This is a list of the greatest single guns in existence. You could certainly add Audie Murphy’s M1 Carbine to that list… And while his service carbine is in a museum, we have his other carbine for sale.

The gun is accompanied by a notarized letter, signed by Distinguished Flying Cross Recipient George D. Mclvor”. Mr. Mclvor and Audie Murphy became friends in the Los Angeles area, in the mid-1960’s. George had trained a race horse for Audie, and the two quickly became friends with their accomplished war histories. Audie asked George if he had a weapon to defend himself and his family during the Watts riots. George didn’t, and Audie gifted this carbine to him. A scan of the colorful notarized letter is included below and a hard copy will be included with the carbine. It only seems appropriate that audie would gift a carbine…

Audie was famous for his carbines, and if he was going to gift a gun to a dear friend, it could only be a carbine… Audie Murphy, in his book, “To Hell and Back” he referred to his M1 Carbine as his “lucky carbine”. He mentions specifically requesting a M1 Carbine over the Garand. Excerpts from Audie’s book:

• Within a moment I am involved in a duel with a German who climbs upon a cannon to get the advantage of elevation. I see him as he lowers his rifle upon me and whip up my carbine. He fires. The bullet kicks dust in my face as my carbine goes off. Frantically I try to blink the dirt from my eyes, knowing the German will not miss again. It is only a few seconds, perhaps, but it seems much longer before I can see. The kraut is sprawled in front of the gun. Later I discover that my lucky shot got him in the heart.” (Chapter 15)

• “Grasping the carbine in my left hand and a grenade in my right, I step suddenly from behind the rock. The Germans spot me instantly. The gunner spins the tip of his weapon toward me. But the barrel catches in a limb, and the burst whizzes to my right. I lob the grenade and grab the carbine trigger with one movement. Before the grenade has time to burst, two krauts fall with carbine slugs in their bellies. I quickly lob two more grenades into the position; four of the eight Germans are killed; three are put out of action by wounds. The eighth, a squat, fat man, tries to escape…..I squeeze the trigger. The helmet jumps. The man falls as if struck in the head with a club.” (Chapter 17)

• “Before reporting to company headquarters, I carefully clean my carbine. ‘I want to go up and try to get that sniper,’ I say….There is a rustle. My eyes snap forward. The branches of a bush move. I drop to one knee. We see each other simultaneously. His face is a black as a rotting corpse; and his cold eyes are filled with evil. As he frantically reaches for the safety of his rifle, I fire twice. He crashes backwards….At headquarters I make my report. Then I go to the room that serves as a kitchen, take my carbine apart, and start cleaning it.” (Chapter 17)

• “Crack! It is like being struck with a ball bat. The ricocheting bullet digs a channel through my hip and knocks me flat….I raise my carbine and with my right hand fire pistol-fashion. The bullet spatters between the German’s eyes.” (Chapter 18)

• “‘Wonder if I could get a carbine. I don’t like an M-1 for this woods fighting.'” (Chapter 19)

• “The [German] officer hesitates. My finger begins squeezing the trigger of my carbine. I think perhaps with a quick rake I can put most of the Germans out of action, but at this moment, I would give my chances in Paradise to have a tommy gun in my hands.” (Chapter 14)

The notarized letter references a pair of magazines taped together (as Audie was famous for) and 50 rounds of ammo. The magazines and the ammo are also included, still taped together. The gun is on consignment from Mr. Mclvor and his son and we are trying to re-notarize the letter as the one we have now is a copy. Obviously there is no question as to the truthfulness of this story – A DFC recipient needs no qualifications…

>This gun is honest, early and certainly collectible on its own right, but it was owned by Audie Murphy AND Distinguished Flying Cross recipient George D. Mclvor. Both True American heroes. We can only speculate on where Audie got the gun from, how long he had it or where else he used it. But this is of little consequence, we do know it came from him in 1965 and remains a piece of history that any War, US Military or Firearms collector would search the globe for. This may be the most interesting gun we have ever handled. What a story!

Lock, Stock & Barrel Investments
2050 Donville Ave.
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2021 at 10:08am
Thanks!  Should mention McIvor's testamonial states the  carbine is Inland # 138517.
Found an archived version of the webpage at the waybackmachine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2021 at 10:46am
The club did several articles about Audie Murphy, His carbine and mentions of books or publications on the topic.

I do remember discussion on the LSB carbine. I do not recall if it was on auction or just a reporting, but do not think we ever published anything on it.

If you know the Audie Murphy story his "lucky carbine" was found through computer search by the Center for US Military Research  and found in storage in an Army warehouse and had been through a rebuild. It has been restored and in the 3rd Infantry Division Museum at Ft. Stewart, GA.

Looking at the LSB description in the first sentence "And while his service carbine is in a museum, we have his other carbine for sale."

This may be a little misleading. It sounds to suggest Audie had two. Is it possible Audie Murphy picked up a few after his service? Did he give away more than one.

LSB also adds a bit of a CYA to the description "We can only speculate on where Audie got the gun from, how long he had it or where else he used it."

It kinda reminds me of the Carbine Williams carbines that he gifted or signed for others, there are several out there.

So bottom line, it looks to be a nice carbine with a nice story, but what the value is would be determined by what it actually sells for.

Thanks for reporting! 5 points added
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

The club did several articles about Audie Murphy, His carbine and mentions of books or publications on the topic.

I do remember discussion on the LSB carbine. I do not recall if it was on auction or just a reporting, but do not think we ever published anything on it.

If you know the Audie Murphy story his "lucky carbine" was found through computer search by the Center for US Military Research  and found in storage in an Army warehouse and had been through a rebuild. It has been restored and in the 3rd Infantry Division Museum at Ft. Stewart, GA.

Looking at the LSB description in the first sentence "And while his service carbine is in a museum, we have his other carbine for sale."

This may be a little misleading. It sounds to suggest Audie had two. Is it possible Audie Murphy picked up a few after his service? Did he give away more than one.

LSB also adds a bit of a CYA to the description "We can only speculate on where Audie got the gun from, how long he had it or where else he used it."

It kinda reminds me of the Carbine Williams carbines that he gifted or signed for others, there are several out there.

So bottom line, it looks to be a nice carbine with a nice story, but what the value is would be determined by what it actually sells for.

Thanks for reporting! 5 points added

I can't remember where I read it but Murphy evidently acquired a few Carbines during the 50's and 60's. He kept one loaded plus was known to sleep with a 1911.

You figure during the 60's when the DCM/NRA program was on he would have been at the head of any line for 1
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2021 at 9:04pm
If anyone has/had any experience with race horses you'd know your number 1 Priority is taking care of your Trainer and Rider. Take my word for it.

L,S&B had offered this up on Gun Auction Dot Com from 12-27-12 to 1-10-13. Starting price was $10,000 and ended with no sale. I posted about it back on 11-9-18. Then they posted it for sale on their own site before it went on auction again. I had heard it was on Consignment but have no proof. I'm not sure after that I quit following it. I do know that the ole time actor Jack Elam was gifted a carbine (late features) and a Colt 1911 from Audie, I had read that in a article Elam had done in a Hollywood magazine, but can't find it. They were friends and had worked on a number of pictures together and Elam also loved betting the horses.

Below is the Post and the Auction link in it still works:

Did you know Audie countersniped several German snipers with a carbine? One included the deceased owner of a High Turret he brought home. The HT was pictured with Audie on the cover of Life magazine and he gave it to his sister. 

How his original carbine was located-
Murphy was being interviewed about his Army service and he said you remember certain things, like your rifle's serial number was xxxxxxxxx and he reeled off the actual number, which the writer duly reported in the interview, and some officer in the Army Material Command read the article and had both the snap to take note of the number and the pull to get the carbine tracked down at Anniston. When one considers that had not those two guys been paying attention to detail, that carbine might have ended up at Xuan Loc or some snit-hole in Central America and therefore lost forever, that therefore we owe the reporter and that officer a huge debt of gratitude.

Plenty of reading here and pictures of his re-stored carbine:

I love this one:

11 December, 1946

"War Hero Handy With His Fist, Hijacker Discovers"

"130-Pound Hero Fells 190-Pound Holdup Suspect"

DALLAS MORNING NEWS

DALLAS (Tex.) Dec. 11. (AP) — Little
Audie Murphy, who is World War II’s most
decorated soldier, won another battle
singlehanded this afternoon when he subdued
a 6-foot 2-inch, 190-pounder who apparently
attempted to steal his automobile.
The freckled kid from Farmersville, Tex., told
the Dallas Morning News he knocked out the
25-year-old man in a rural filling station near
here after a furious 10-minute battle.
Murphy weighs 130 pounds and stands 5
feet 7 inches tall.
State Highway Patrolmen Everett Brandon
and F. H. Jensen, who talked with the News by
telephone, said they arrested the man and
lodged him in the McKinney Jail. No complaint
was filed immediately.
Tells of Holdup
The 20-year-old Texas hero, who won the
Congressional Medal of Honor and every
other U.S. combat medal in World War II, related
he was driving alone when he saw a large
man limping along the highway.
“It was raining like the devil and I thought
I would do the fellow a favor,” Audie related.
“I picked him up and we drove about a mile.
“Suddenly this guy jammed something into
my ribs, slapped me across the mouth and said:
“‘I’m the boss now. If you won’t talk, this
.45 will. I can use this car.’
“I admitted that he was pretty much the
boss at that point and we drove about four
more miles. He told me to pull into a roadside
gasoline station and stop. I did and he took
the keys and instructed me to slide along the
seat and get out on his side of the car.”
Decides on Fight
Audie said the man’s left hand, hidden under
an old army blouse, was still jammed into
his ribs when he decided to make a fight for it.
He grabbed the man’s hand, discovered he
had no gun after all, struck him a blow that
tumbled him from the car and on to the filling
station drive.
Murphy jumped squarely on the erstwhile
tough guy and started swinging.
“We fought all over the place for about 10
minutes,” Audie said. “He was a pretty big
fellow, all right. I finally got him, though.”
J. M. Peters, owner of the gasoline station,
ran into the drive and ordered both men off
the premises before he knew the background,
Patrolman Brandon added.
Calls in Police
Audie rushed to another gasoline station a
mile north to telephone the State police and
upon his return found that his attacker had
recovered and gone to the home of Mrs. Park
Grissom, a few hundred yards distant.
The man was scuffling with Mrs. Grissom
and demanding fresh clothing to replace his
bloody and torn garments when Murphy
overpowered him again.

Courtesy of the Dallas Morning News
and Associated Press

I'll finish up by saying in my opinion that PBI never received the credit he deserved for paying for and putting in the work to have Omar Bradley's M1A1 and Audie Murphy's Carbine at the Bhama show.

"I believe in all the men who stood up against the enemy, taking their beatings without whimper and their triumphs without boasting. The men who went and would go again to hell and back to preserve what our country thinks right and decent." Audie Murphy, 1949

Good Safe Weekend All,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply