Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attention Collectors UN-QUALITY NOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 12:55am
I see a difference in the metal at the rear of the magazine well, shape of the trigger safety cutout, the angle of the cut on the right side of the magazine well, and POSSIBLY the left side of the rear handguard shroud (angle difference of the pics is playing havic with my old eyes.  Also on the left side bottom, half way from front-to-back of the receiver, the top of the first side-step cut is square while the cooresponding  cut on the lower receiver is sqaure.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Tired Retired Tired Retired wrote:

I see a difference in the metal at the rear of the magazine well, shape of the trigger safety cutout, the angle of the cut on the right side of the magazine well, and POSSIBLY the left side of the rear handguard shroud (angle difference of the pics is playing havic with my old eyes.  Also on the left side bottom, half way from front-to-back of the receiver, the top of the first side-step cut is square while the cooresponding  cut on the lower receiver is sqaure.
you say trigger safety cutout, I believe you mean the firing pin safety bridge? That is what I am saying is far more consistent then most other receivers and what made me look at them.
As to the hand guard lip, the green one was mangled so bad comparison.

I retook pictures at better angle with another of same manufacture for comparison. Could not get lighting as close, but think it will show what you see better. but think it better shows what you are saying on right side magazine cut out, look at the shadow

now as to the serial marks, you decide if it could possibly be a correct UN-QUALITY

Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 6:58pm
The hyphen between N and Q touches both letters on mine here at home and the one you show on the left. The one on the right has a space's. Also the font is different.   
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 7:39pm
Left one stamping, worn edges. Right one, sharp edges.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 7:11pm
Here's another good one, however I still have no clue how they made it or what they may have made it from. UNCLE !! LOL

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2016 at 6:54pm
I wonder how many checked their receivers?......................  
Anyway here are the pictures for you to decide

To be fair I checked every variation of receiver to which there are 17.  I also in the case of Inland and Winchester checked early vs late. However only counted once in the 17
 The criterion being how the  front ring is laid out. Meaning top row and bottom being even or bottom row being smaller. Also placement of period(s). this method immediately showed it was not made by Union Signal and Switch. then there is the one (1) as it can be with or with out serifs.
It did however quickly stand out as similar to an Underwood front ring
Next was the length of the leg.  This ruled out receivers made by Underwood as they all had the long leg and one in question is short. there are 7 receivers that had the long leg, one being early Inland
Next would be the method in which the body of the receiver was milled/drilled out. Only seven variations had the dimple caused by a drill or similar tool.
Last thing compared is the firing pin safety bridge. Now I remember someone saying they changed the shape for better safety and was a late feature. Yet it seems several receiver manufacturers had this feature.
With that only one receiver fits the profile. that would be the receiver made by Universal Windings.

What should have been more obvious is the flaming bomb on rear heel, though upside down. And if you look closely there may even be a "W" on the edge.

With that I am not saying it is in fact a receiver made by Universal Windings. Might actually be a copy from one!

Please share your thoughts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12