The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arsenal Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilot Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arsenal Rebuild
    Posted: May 24 2020 at 3:54pm
How does an M1 Carbine go through Arsenal Rebuild (stamped on left side on stock) and still have its type 1 rear sight and does
not have a bayonet lug ??? I have been rejecting these pieces as
molested (not collectible). What am I missing here, am I passing 
up legit carbines ??? Please share your thoughts on this with me ! Thanks, Pilot Bob
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:01pm
The first thought is that it's a replacement stock. I've noticed the recent RTI imports coming in have the wrong stocks on early featured Carbines. Those guys will be swapping stocks on them. Some will have rebuild stamps I'm sure.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
wtmr View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtmr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:05pm
very earliest passed thru arsenals had no updates or modifications done--you see early serif AAx marked guns that way, also some RIA marked highwood left alone--I have never seen a U stamped stock not cut to lowood nor w STD Pro rework not cut to low wood. You see some RA-P and OGEK marked with the highwood still attached and some RRA with
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:09pm
Does the stock match the carbine mfg?
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Pilot Bob Pilot Bob wrote:

How does an M1 Carbine go through Arsenal Rebuild (stamped on left side on stock) and still have its type 1 rear sight and does
not have a bayonet lug ??? I have been rejecting these pieces as
molested (not collectible). What am I missing here, am I passing 
up legit carbines ??? Please share your thoughts on this with me ! Thanks, Pilot Bob
I addition to the reply of @wtmr, someone may have replaced the original stock because it was badly scarred or otherwise damaged - although I think it would be unusual to choose a rebuild marked stock for that purpose - particularly if most of the other parts are of contemporaneous WWII production vintage - not necessarily all parts, for some may have been replaced in the field via Ordnance Field Maintenance after initial issue of the carbine.

I personally consider all of these carbines to be collectable.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:33pm
What I've seen is there is every variation of collector/corrector and they'll put the next best stock on their Carbine until they find another. Back when values weren't what they are now people probably just looked for a nicer piece of wood. Some odd things I've seen include Bavarian marked stocks on proper appearing Carbines. An IP I bought was entirely correct and advertised as known to have the wrong stock. The seller states the metal is known in it's current config since the 90s. That stock was either swapped in some event (cleaning party, was damaged) or someone used on an even nicer IP. The stock is a rebuild marked high wood S'G'. The Carbine truly does appear original otherwise.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image