Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An odd buttplate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An odd buttplate
    Posted: Feb 26 2023 at 8:42pm
I just picked up a Type III Inland stock and found this buttplate on it.  The diamonds are inverted on the outer surface, and raised on the inner surface.  Does anyone know the manufacturer and where it was used?

Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2023 at 11:32pm
I actually had two first-block Inlands with that "inverted" buttplate.   The blank was stamped with the squares, but then fed into the "edge folding" machine upside down? That's my guess.

My first factory original carbine, Inland 141314, purchased at the Lakeland, FL gun show in 1978, had this buttplate, and it wasn't until I joined the Carbine Club and started learning more about buttplates, that I realized that mine was inside-out.

Years later, I saw another factory-original Inland in the 200,000 range with the same buttplate.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 7:59am
Paging Painter777
I believe he has posted about that inverted butt plate on this forum?

@dmgfour, can you post a picture of the other side? does the stock look cutt down to low wood, slingwell markings?
dmgfour View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 10:25am
Stock was a legit Type 3 with IO code in slingwell.  Here's a picture of the other side.

dmgfour View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 10:34am
... and my Director of Marketing for rare buttplates.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 10:49am
Looking like an Inland!
dmgfour View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmgfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 11:18am
"Looking like an Inland!"

Diamond pattern in top and bottom rows, with the exception of them being on the wrong side, and  countersunk area, fits description for Late Inland.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 1:37pm
Only pic I can find of it right now. I still have it.

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2023 at 2:08pm
This one came on a bulk purchase of loose stocks, came off a WRA Type III Korean return.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply