The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ammunition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ammunition
    Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 4:13pm
I realize that every firearm seems to have it's own preference for ammo however,
I was wondering what ammo members found to be most accurate at 100 yards?
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 5:53pm
I've used Aguila FMJ, PPU FMJ, Monarch FMJ, TULA steel FMJ, and numerous different lots of USGI lake city Ball ammo.

Out of those 5 types, USGI ammo easily shoots the tightest groups, followed by the Academy Sports branded Monarch ammo.

The problem is that USGI ammo is hard to come by, and usually quite a bit more costly than the $22 a box Monarch.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 7:35pm

Do you think the added cost of USGI ammo is worth the increase in accuracy over commercial ammo?
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 7:49pm
Here is a head to head 50/100yd comparision b/t the USGI and Monarch that will illustrate the differences.

Beyond the differences in accuracy, the USGI ammo corresponds best to the adjustable sight's yardage settings when sighted in using said USGI ammo. I also prefer USGI to all others as it runs the hottest, and in my opinion aids in reliability.   Weak commercial ammo is a known culprit of stoppages in carbines.   

ETA: With regards to buying USGI ammo, I've bought all mine through gun shows and won't ever pay more than $30 a box. I bought a bandolier(120rds of USGI) at the last show for $60, so if your patient you can acquire USGI ammo over time for prices close to quality commercial ammo.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 8:32pm

Thanks for taking the time to include the targets at 50 and 100 yards for comparison. The Monarch is not that bad for the money. I plan to take your advice and check out the gun shows for USGI and buy when available and priced right. Wouldn't it be nice if we could replicate the results on 50 yard targets on 100 yard targets?
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 10:18pm
My pleasure Paul. I agree that the Monarch's performance for the money is excellent. At this time, 90% of my shooting is with the Monarch, and I've stop buying other commercial offerings. While I have other rifles for SHTF, I still try and save most of the USGI lake city ammo, along with a few NOS USGI mags for potential bad times.

One thing I've found is how much of a difference target selection, and one's own eyes play into the equation when shooting for measured accuracy/precision at 100yds VS. magnified scoped rifles. In the past I shunned single 5rd groups, and perhaps still do. However at this time I haven't figured out how to find a consistent front sight hold/technique, along with a proper target selection in order to generate multiple 10rd groups that could provide definitive data. I can bang a 2/3rd sized torso steel target at 100yds no problem, but shooting for absolute accuracy/precision on my end is still a considerable work in progress.

I'd love to scope a USGI carbine if only it were easier, and didn't require a rear sight removal. With a 10x optic, one could truly evaluate a carbine's accuracy/precision's envelope with given ammo combos, but then again it wouldn't be very useful data given we shoot them with irons.

ETA: Here is the other types of ammo compared to the monarch and USGI all at 50yds....forgot to include it in the past post.

Few things to note: The PPU is essentially the same as the Monarch, Academy just rebrands the PPU with their in house ammo name.   Aguila is significantly dirtier than everything else I've tried. Tula exhibited problems in my first carbine, but not my second.

Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2018 at 7:35am

Your comments/observations regarding target selection, distance, and eye sight when trying to improve measured accuracy really hit home. Could not of summed up my current shooting experience better. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply