The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aloha from Hawaii !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aloha from Hawaii !
    Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 4:34pm
My name is Mel Chung.  My dad, back in the early 1960's-bought me an M1 Carbine from DCMas i was too young.  It shipped from Toele Arsenal and was a Rock-ola.  I quickly refinished the stock and up graded all the eary parts to the latest parts.  In retrospect - i should have left it alone! I still have that Carbne. I have a few carbines but - years ago i met a M1 Carbine collector in Honolulu who had all ten GI contractors guns.  He also collected accroutements(sp). I enjoyed seeing his collection. I still have my M1Al holster i bought in the sixties for a few bucks.  I had my dad send me all my carbine tools to service carbines while i was in RVN, including the one that i carried.  Wish i still had that carbine... I am a retired automotive and machine shop high school shop teacher.  I try to go to the SHOT show in Vegas every year to keep current.  I read a few posts here on the forum and look foward to learning more about M1 Carbines and maybe sharing what little knowledge i have with club members.  A Hui Ho, Mel Chung
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 5:13pm
Welcome Mel.  Still find it hard to believe how carbines were practically given away back in the 60's.  Great to hear carbine collecting is alive and well in Hawaii.
mel chung View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 6:24pm
M1A1 fan:  thanks.  there is a gun collecting club called the Hawaii Historical Arms Associatiion that puts on  a gun show in march and october at the Neal Blaisdell Center in Honolulu.  The show this past march featured USMC guns as well as individual displays and sales.  a few shows ago someone had a sporterized M1 carbine for sale - so sad-and it could not be resurected too. In the past i did see an original M1A1 carbine that was  stamped HPD (honolulu police dept) on the stock.  The buttplate had numbers cast in so was probably original. Not too long ago someone was selling replacement cast buttplates with numbers for big bucks - guess we can't use that criteria for tell the difference between original and fake M1A1 stocks anymore! Mel
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 6:26pm
Aloha Mel,

I'm a Punahou grad ('84), and I bet we attended some of the same gun shows together at HIC back in the day. You may be interested in this post I made a while back about my first M1 Carbine...

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/my-first-m1-carbine_topic1213.html

Good to see the 50th State represented on this board!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
mel chung View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mel chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 6:36pm
David: howzit! did you go to the GCA convention in Talladega last sept? Anniston is closeby and i picked up a couple of 03A3 drll rifles.  I am restoring one and making a sniper out of the other one.  Picking out the guns in person (minimum welding) is better than hoping for a good one.  See you at the HHAA show again some day. I have a table - drop by and holo holo.  Mel Chung
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 9:00pm
Mel,

Howzit!

I didn't attend in Talladega last year, though I thought about it. If you are a GCA member, take a look at the Summer 2015 edition of the GCA Journal, and you'll see an article I wrote. Good luck with the 03 drill rifle restorations. We used to have several of those at Punahou for our drill team. Some were chrome plated.

I would love to make another Honolulu gun show again sometime. Last time I was there was 1999. I need to get back for a visit.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2016 at 11:26pm
Mel, Welcome to the forums!
All Knowledge is good Knowledge! Without sharing information the club would not have been around so long. Coming up on 40 years!
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2016 at 6:17pm
Hi Mel, nice to see you here. Greeting from Holland (where regulation is more strict than the US.....and becoming more strict and strict every year here.....)
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
SeoulFood View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2016 at 10:23pm
Aloha! Welcome to the forum!
 Post Reply Post Reply