The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Almost—-Stay Alert!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost—-Stay Alert!
    Posted: Jul 19 2020 at 6:03pm
Under the heading of safety:

No matter how careful you think you are, things happen. I reload and call myself checking my brass. How this happened is beyond me. Out shooting the other day and I am very cautious. This time it paid off. I usually note the bolt rotation almost every shot. I was ready to pull the trigger when I noticed the bolt lock-up looked funny. I had about 2/3rds. rotation and shut down when I noticed it. Just figured it was a fat case after I looked at it. When I returned home I measured it at 1.301 in length. I have never measured a piece of fired brass I reload longer than about 1.287-88. How it got in there I have no idea. This particular carbine head spaces at 1.296. I don’t know if the bridge would have caught the tang or not, but I am glad I never pulled the trigger to see.

Never do I automatically just start shooting ammo out of a new box without checking. Never do I reload without checking every round....or so I thought.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2020 at 7:00pm
Thank you for this post! I needed a reminder. Up until now all my carbines head spaced at 1.295 or more. I've never really worried about an ammo caused out-of-battery discharge. The Winchester I just fixed head spaces right at 1.290". Just barely closes on a "GO" gauge. I will be paying more attention to it in the future.
JackP
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 9:10am
What brass was it? I just loaded hundreds of rounds and all the brass was untrimmed, once or twice fired and .003 to .005 short. Multiple manufacturers.
David Milisock
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 9:25am
Good catch.  I also reload all my carbine ammo and other calibers.  It requires attention to details and your soul attention and yet you can still catch a mistake and wonder what the heck happened.  Glad you caught it avoided a possible injury and or rifle damage.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 10:14am
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

What brass was it? I just loaded hundreds of rounds and all the brass was untrimmed, once or twice fired and .003 to .005 short. Multiple manufacturers.

The long piece in question was stamped A USA (ARMSCOR). I found another A USA at close to 1.30. I am not exactly ready to blame the brass just yet. Some of the A USA measures closer to 1.286-87.

I need to get a bit more scientific here. I was testing 2-3 different loads and projectile weights. None of the loads exceeded maximum posted data. 

Regardless of how they came out after reloading. I should have caught the long brass b4 it got into the carbine and I didn’t. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 12:55pm
I actually have a carbine with lose head space that will digest longer rounds. I continue to fool with improving it, but it doesn’t seem to care....just shoots-on. Maybe if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply