Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Very Unusual M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Very Unusual M1 Carbine
    Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:16pm
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:23pm
Why what?
Patrick_B View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:24pm
I don’t know what to say, except really!??? I’ve been out of the loop a while, but am I really this out of touch to say the only unusual thing I see is the price? I don’t see anything here to entice 6500 from my pocket. If I’m missing something, please enlighten me. 
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:39pm
I am sorry.  Why it is a very unusual carbine was obvious to me, so I thought it would be obvious to others.  My mistake.  Even "Big Bubba", in Indiana, was able to tell me the unusual thing about this carbine.  
Happy Collecting.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:44pm
You seldom see a 5 million Winchester with the word "Trademark" above the word "Winchester". (Ref CCNL 355-2) In my opinion, however, that would not push the value of this carbine up the the level implied by the "By Now" price or the suggested minimum bid. There are other things wrong with this carbine that would cancel out the value of this feature.
JackP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 7:55pm
That's a good call jackp, I knew it couldn't be the fake CC I see those all the time on GB!
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 8:02pm
What JackP says is true, and part of the answer.  There is something that makes it unusual "because of the location of the trademark".
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 8:05pm
Possible reused serial number.

Checking stamping dates 5749956 was the last serial applied on July 21 1944.

we see the logo below the serial number till  the 6.5 range (April 44)
However the T3 carbines had the serial numbers applied in June to August 1944.
The T3  carbines had the logo above the serial number.

So it is possible they were running several machines and still phasing out logo below.

See CCNLs 337, 355. There may be others with info

Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 8:40pm
I would think reused serial number is correct.  
6466208 was earliest on record with the trademark on top.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Bubba-7 Bubba-7 wrote:

Even "Big Bubba", in Indiana, was able to tell me the unusual thing about this carbine.

RM,
Back in mid summer he was complaining about how poor the corn crop was doing.
I believe BIG BUBBA may now have his own BIG BUBBAS' BOURBON line. Wink

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 2:30pm
Just so when the link goes dead(all auction links do), here is the mark in question.

Winchester M1 Carbine M 1-img-2

Edited by New2brass - Nov 20 2020 at 9:40am
Don
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 5:20pm
+1 Don, Thumbs Up
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 5:34pm
JackP
Patrick_B View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 9:02pm

I am sorry.  Why it is a very unusual carbine was obvious to me, so I thought it would be obvious to others.  My mistake.  Even "Big Bubba", in Indiana, was able to tell me the unusual thing about this carbine.  
Happy Collecting.

You have nothing to be sorry for. If anyone does here it’s me. Re-reading this I see how my comments seemed to have been directed to you and it couldn’t have been further from the truth. The only thing on display here is my ignorance of Winchester Carbines. I didn’t catch that regarding the TM, and merely replied to the overall gun with the price/state/condition, and nothing more. I sincerely apologize for making you feel I was questioning you for posting something so specific. I make no excuse and didn’t mean anything toward you at all. The reason I didn’t pay attention to this specific thing on this Winchester is my fault. I’ve almost always been shy of them and Win M1’s as well but reasons for it are irrelevant here. 
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 9:21pm
jackp--you got a lower one then me but the 574xxxx has smoked us both--this is reason folks need to report to the CC club oddities they see-one thread has done away with my early reused serial trademark issue--its like what else is out there? a first block serial with trademark on top??? keep the knowledge and fotos coming--thanks
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 9:38pm

What JackP says is true, and part of the answer.  There is something that makes it unusual "because of the location of the trademark".

OK, 
I'll ask, what is the other "something"?

Why not just spell it out to begin with and ask for comments?
Don
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2020 at 11:17pm
Is that a real recoil plate screw?
I can't seem to concentrate on it after seeing that Cartoon like CC and the price tags on the 30 and 15rd magazines.
Butt plate stands out a bit.

RM and MR,
Good catch finding the Trademark on top.
You guys do OK when sober !!

Clap

Charlie-P777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 9:41am
@03man,
thank you for posting pic for future readers Thumbs Up
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2020 at 1:12pm
A 5.7 Winchester with the trade mark on top is very unusual.   
So it has to be a re-used serial number.  It may even be an Underwood receiver.
I understand many carbine guys did not know about the location change of the Winchester TRADEMARK.
I posted so those who did not know, now know.  Buy the CC NLs and read them ten times.
I took no offense. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2020 at 9:37am
The news is the earliest known example of the Winch logo switch, not the circle p on the stock or the strange cartouche, correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>